Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

I'd confidently estimate 20-25% of the server will be boxing upon release regardless, so the playing field already isn't "level"
Old 09-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Planar Protector

boxing the single biggest improvement possible that could be made to this server no joke over anything including resists
Old 09-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yaw that strat worked well for red99, lots of "brothers" and "cousins" and "parents" playing here
Luckily my wife loves MMOs. She plays with me on here, when she's not playing Darkfall.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Planar Protector

enable boxing and you'll see competition to nihilum and a thriving server literally overnight
Old 09-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseRed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
all im asking is for an even playing field without subjecting everyone to "forced" boxing to compete. in fact i hope they go hardcore SZ ruleset. one char per IP on one team. even more + is tie that one toon to their forum account. no more spies, no more BS. everyone accountable. i know thats unrealistic and probably far from popular but thought id throw that out there since people are suggesting boxing.

boxing was classic but at the expense of precious bandwidth (til broadband was everywhere) and at the cost of a 2nd account beig payed for plus the purchase of the game and its expansions. not til late velious did i really see boxing become popular, even then it wasnt as bad as it would probably be here. maybe i was just never exposed to it but it was seldom i was aware of someone boxing until luclin +.
People that play by themselves will still be welcomed in groups. I think the people that wouldn't allow you in their group of 2 (boxing) would most likely be the type that is going to solo if boxing isn't enabled.

Instead of looking for a group of 3-4 to be viable you can be a viable group with just one other person. If you have 3-4 real people you can drop the boxing or just have 1-2 people boxing clerics and play the class you want. People will always choose a real person over a second box.

To the discussion about big guilds being 2x as big, it really would be a cluster to have 20 people x 2 running around pvping. The competition comes into play when you can have a 12 person guild be able to have the numbers to do a decent raid. It is fun being in a guild of your choosing with a group of players that have the same mind set as you. Boxing does help this. If you want to be in a roleplaying guild like rule of rile you can and still be viable.

To those saying boxing will hurt them because of 2v1 pvp scenarios, it is just as easy to get away from someone boxing than 1 v 1. Also, if you are attacking someone that is boxing, you can normally target the one they aren't playing and sneak up on them before they even know they are being attacked. People boxing end up getting owned pretty easy when caught off guard. Imagine a melee with a support. The attacker can wait until the melee is occupied and focus on the support for a couple seconds before they even know what hits them. By that time the melee is 0 help because the support needs to be played just to stay alive. Switching back and forth at this point is not easy and ends up hurting the boxer.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Planar Protector

throw boxing on the ffa server then. just dont fuck with the teams server yet. let us thrive without boxing.

ill admit its selfish but ive wanted and asked for a teams server for 2 years now and its finally coming. to have it ruined (in my eyes) with boxing before it even starts will be really sad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

ive yet to play on a good ruleset, do not taint this last chance for glorious teams pvp.
Last edited by SamwiseRed; 09-04-2013 at 03:26 PM..
Old 09-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Sektor

fame was suspended for boxing. His points mean nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffpuppy View Post
Saint Sektor cleansing the server of sick humans. This guy deserves VIP / Contributor status.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Sektor

Also until the server has 700+ active members boxing is needed. Half of these people against boxing are doing it and just want any type of advantage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffpuppy View Post
Saint Sektor cleansing the server of sick humans. This guy deserves VIP / Contributor status.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Project Manager

Boxing isn't even open for discussion as far as I'm concerned. Rogean feels the same way.

I did want to respond to the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"classic" isn't something you can use against boxing.
Considering like 1% of the total population from 1999-2001 multi-boxed, I believe 'it' certainly is something you can use against boxing. Yeah I'm ballparking those statistics, and if you research it, you'll come to a similar conclusion. In 1999, 0.1%, in 2000, 0.5%, and in 2001, about 1%. By 2002, broadband began fueling the majority of the internet in the US, and things drastically changed... including the bad parts of eq I personally do not want to replicate.

EQwindows was not even working until late 2000. Meaning in addition to the monthly subscription fee, you also needed a dedicated box for each instance the client because you couldn't do it on the same machine.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Boxing isn't even open for discussion as far as I'm concerned. Rogean feels the same way.

I did want to respond to the following:

Considering like 1% of the total population from 1999-2001 multi-boxed, I believe 'it' certainly is something you can use against boxing. Yeah I'm ballparking those statistics, and if you research it, you'll come to a similar conclusion. In 1999, 0.1%, in 2000, 0.5%, and in 2001, about 1%. By 2002, broadband began fueling the majority of the internet in the US, and things drastically changed... including the bad parts of eq I personally do not want to replicate.

EQwindows was not even working until late 2000. Meaning in addition to the monthly subscription fee, you also needed a dedicated box for each instance the client because you couldn't do it on the same machine.
Thanks for posting. A couple years ago there was no hope for a red99, after that there was no consideration for yellow text or global ooc. Then there was no way a teams pvp server would be created. Now here we are, so it never hurts to bring it up.
Closed Thread