Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 04-02-2014, 05:06 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Are log parsers ok or are they in violation of the rules?

As the title says, is it ok to create and use log parsers or are they against the rules?

Specifically im looking to build a real time log parser to automatically keep track of buff durations. This will only access the physical eqlog.txt file on the local machine and nothing else.

Would be great to get an official Yay or Nay.

Cheers
SIN
Last edited by Sinaz; 04-02-2014 at 05:12 AM..
Old 04-02-2014, 05:43 AM
VIP / Contributor

if its only accessing the logs it should be fine.

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 04-02-2014, 05:50 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Cheers for the response and thumbs up.

SIN
Old 04-02-2014, 10:06 AM
Planar Protector

In case you didn't know, GamTextTriggers already allows for timing buffs with timers and overlay screen notifications. It only parses the text files.

http://gambosoft.com/Pages/GamTextTriggers_Features.htm
Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Not used GamTextTriggers yet but from what i could see it needed a certain amount of setup? How well does it work with automatically tracking buffs?

Cheers
SIN
Old 04-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinaz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not used GamTextTriggers yet but from what i could see it needed a certain amount of setup? How well does it work with automatically tracking buffs?

Cheers
SIN
It does take some initial set up of the specific trigger text you want watched "soandso's eyes gleam with blah" or "soandso feels brave", but after the initial set up, it runs pretty great.

You can also use it to time place holders or time between death touches. They allow for variables, something like {s} which will allow the timer or prompt to use the name of the person on the visual timer bar.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Sarnak

They removed text triggers from p99? How is it not cheating to use a 3rd party prog that does the same thing?
Old 04-02-2014, 03:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkMasterson1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They removed text triggers from p99? How is it not cheating to use a 3rd party prog that does the same thing?
Because it isn't affecting the client itself and only reading the log file.
It is no different than a damage parse.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Aviak

If you were to program something that read /loc returns from the log file, show a map of the zone you are in, read from the zoning in statement from the logs, then showed the user a map with their character dot on it, would that be legal? (Serious question, as I am currently programming a parser, and this is one of the things I wrote down)

Also, my buff timers don't need any setup and are currently working with overlay. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirox [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you were to program something that read /loc returns from the log file, show a map of the zone you are in, read from the zoning in statement from the logs, then showed the user a map with their character dot on it, would that be legal? (Serious question, as I am currently programming a parser, and this is one of the things I wrote down)

Also, my buff timers don't need any setup and are currently working with overlay. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your allowed to access directdraw natively and draw shit on the screen over a window. I don't think anyone is going to kill you.

You just cant read/edit EQ's allocated memory or modify the loaded .dll or .exe or modify them directly to output anything unique and trace-able.