Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Sarnak

Question Shaman 29 Charm Animal spell?

Does this work ok on animals of your level or a tad lower? Or is it better to still just root rot vs use this to get a pet?

Killing mammoths in everfrost for now if that gives any additional insight.

Thanks for advice!
Old 06-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Sarnak

I don't know if that hot dog .gif is turning me on or making me feel really uncomfortable... I guess the boobies in your other .gif make up for it.

Anyway, the level 29 shaman spell Befriend Animal works on animals up to level 24.

If you use Alluring Aura for the charisma and Malaise before you try to charm an animal, you should have a greater chance for success and for a longer lasting charm timer.

Although I have never personally attempted it, if you are truly keen on charming animals in Everfrost with Befriend Animal then your best bet would be to try taming Wooly Mammoths, as they range from level 22 to 26 according to the wiki.

Most shamans don't bother with pets until they can just summon dogdog, as charming as a Shaman is usually rather inefficient and can easily bite you in the ass. That being said, I can totally see how a level 24 wooly mammoth would make quite a capable pet for a level 29 shaman.

Good luck, hope you don't get a tusk through your arse. =)

Ingrum Irontoe
Retired Warlord of Brell
"Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal..."
Old 06-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Sarnak

as far as I know, charisma has no effect on shaman, druid, or necro charm spells
Old 06-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarity [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
as far as I know, charisma has no effect on shaman, druid, or necro charm spells
This is something that my necro friend and I have been wondering about lately when it comes to charming undead. It always seems like a charisma buff makes the charms more effective but really there's no way for us to gauge it since everything gets Malo'd anyway.

Is there any definitive information you've seen on this? And if charisma doesn't effect those classes for charms, does anything?

Ingrum Irontoe
Retired Warlord of Brell
"Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal..."
Old 06-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Fire Giant

Cool

CHA has NO effect on DRU or SHM charm. Only the following effects, in descending order of importance.

1. Level
2. MR

For an ENC it goes

1. Level
2. MR
3. Cha

[Above is fact]
[Below is speculation]

For a NEC I always thought lower CHA made your charms hold longer, as the logic behind a NEC is they are striking fear into the hearts of their pet to control them. Maybe that is just for fear and I'm way off the mark. But what logic leads one to make NEC need LOW CHA for fearing, and HIGH CHA for charming? Doesn't add up. Anyway I'm sure a real NEC will hop in and school us.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Planar Protector

This is something comes up frequently on the boards, usually with nec/chr...shaman/chr is a new question but the answer is basically the same:

How it was on live in era is irrelevant (even less relevant is how we remember it being on live). P99 is a different animal. Unless someone has test parses with a large enough pool of data to demonstrate then I wouldn't trust anything here.

Having said that, the consensus has been for necs that charisma (higher or lower) has no effect on charm duration on p99 (which is how it was on live). Having played a nec to 60 on p99 I can only confirm that this was my anecdotal experience as a nec who did a ton of undead charming. Just about everyone that I trust has more or less confirmed the same for me from their anecdotal experiences with their necro toons. It was never important enough to me that I thought it warranted the time it would take to experiment and parse the data out.

The shaman question regarding charm/charisma is interesting, but even more murky than the necro question as it is such a small (probably nearly non existent) tool for most shamans.
Last edited by fastboy21; 06-17-2014 at 08:52 PM..
Old 06-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Fire Giant

To the OP - I found the Shaman 29 charm to be remarkably useful in taking out a quest drop target that happens to be a caster. Those can be tougher to root rot at a rapid pace if the quest drop is somewhat rare.

When I camped Lake of Ill Omen Spirit Callers for their beads for the iksar armor quest, those bastards were pure hell to take on. They were enemy shaman with full spell gems and a penchant to Flash of Light, Root, Dispel, Poison, Disease, and Frost blast, AND heal themselves.

Using the crap charm to throw a sabertooth cat at them helped immensely in getting the eventual item drop.

Edit - I have no clue about charisma with the animal charm. If the server is coded like a real old retail server, charisma should have zero(0) effect since it's the druid parent spell.

I'm also especially comfortable with the Oscar Mayer Bukakke image.
Last edited by NegaStoat; 06-17-2014 at 10:13 PM..
Closed Thread