Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

i've decided that "the mummer's dragon" does not imply a fake dragon, or that Aegon is a fake tagaryen, but that its a form of ownership. ie: the dragon that belongs to the mummer.
and that leads me to think that Illyrio is the mummer.

huzzah!
Or Tyrion's dragon, since Tyrion was literally a mummer, for a little while at least. Why would Illyrio get one?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Fire Giant

If mummer = actor, who is the best actor in the series?

VARYS! That's what he's been working towards all along! It all makes sense now.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:05 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalcoxman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or Tyrion's dragon, since Tyrion was literally a mummer, for a little while at least. Why would Illyrio get one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenlaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If mummer = actor, who is the best actor in the series?
VARYS! That's what he's been working towards all along! It all makes sense now.
Illyrio get one what? im not saying he gets an actual dragon, i'm saying that Aegon was part of Illyrio's plan. Varys and Illyrio have been in cahoots together for decades, since they were both young.

i was referring to this quote from the book:
Quote:
Quaithe proceeds to deliver another cryptic warning:
"The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."
Pale Mare = the Bloody Flux
the "others" = White Walkers
Kraken = Victarion Greyjoy
Dark Flame = Moqorro
Lion = Tyrion Lannister
Griffin = Jon Connington
Sun's Son = Quentyn Martell
the Mummer = Illyrio or Varys
the Mummer's Dragon = Aegon Targaryen
Remember the Undying = the visions she saw, or, the way she was deceived/tricked
Perfumed Seneschal = Varys or Illyrio

Possible others for the perfumed seneschal =
  • Reznak mo Reznak - due to his position in Daenerys Targaryen's court and his penchant for wearing lots of perfume.
  • The Selaesori Qhoran (Fragrant Steward), a trading cog.
  • Satin the steward to Jon Snow, who wears perfume.

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 03-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Fire Giant

Yeah, I was just playing off of fullmetalcoxman's misinterpretation. I think Varys is the mummer, but I don't think Illyrio fits for the perfumed seneschal. I mean, he's not a seneschal of anything, as far as I can recall.

I think it's going to end up being Satin, myself. We pretty much know Jon and Dany are going to come together at some point, which would give him access to her. He claims to come from the Citadel - I don't know if it will be that he was actually sent by the Citadel for whatever reason or if we will find out that was just lies and he is somebody completely unexpected.

Now, another of your points...dark flame. I'm not so sure it's Moqorro. Seems a bit too obvious to me. I think it's quite possible that dark flame will end up meaning Blackfyre and we'll find out that the line isn't quite as dead as people thought.

ETA: I know it's assumed that the things in the prophecy have to go together how they're lumped grammatically, but I'm not sure that's going to end up true. Or true in the way people think.
Last edited by Tenlaar; 03-28-2013 at 12:04 AM..
Old 03-28-2013, 12:46 AM
Fire Giant

Join the realm: http://www.jointherealm.com/sigil.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg House Xasten.jpg (20.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Kobold

cant wait for the show.

the show is the show, and the books are the books.

Comparing them is stupid.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:32 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenlaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, I was just playing off of fullmetalcoxman's misinterpretation. I think Varys is the mummer, but I don't think Illyrio fits for the perfumed seneschal. I mean, he's not a seneschal of anything, as far as I can recall.
Quote:
A seneschal (pron.: /ˈsɛnəʃəl/) was an officer in the houses of important nobles in the Middle Ages. In the French administrative system of the Middle Ages, the sénéchal was also a royal officer in charge of justice and control of the administration in southern provinces
based on that definition i truly think its possible for the Seneschal to be varys or Illyrio, however i dont think 1 person can hold two spots on list, and i think Varys and Illyrio are to important to the story of the realm not to be involved. look up the history of those two men when they were younger. they have always been in cahoots.

Quote:
We pretty much know Jon and Dany are going to come together at some point, which would give him access to her. He claims to come from the Citadel - I don't know if it will be that he was actually sent by the Citadel for whatever reason or if we will find out that was just lies and he is somebody completely unexpected.
never forget, the dragon has 3 heads. Aegon had his two sisters, Dany will have her two brothers (Jon and Aegon), i imagine Tyrion will be her hand of the queen, and either Selmy or Jorah will lead her queens guard, but Jorah i dont see making it. and what are u talking about with the citadel there? you completely lost me on that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Now, another of your points...dark flame. I'm not so sure it's Moqorro. Seems a bit too obvious to me. I think it's quite possible that dark flame will end up meaning Blackfyre and we'll find out that the line isn't quite as dead as people thought.
to be fair, there are 3 red priests running around (Melisandre, Thoros, and Moqorro). that being said, i ABSOLUTELY LOVE where your head is at on this one. never considered the blackfyres.

Quote:
ETA: I know it's assumed that the things in the prophecy have to go together how they're lumped grammatically, but I'm not sure that's going to end up true. Or true in the way people think.
explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
cant wait for the show.
the show is the show, and the books are the books.
Comparing them is stupid.
very true. at least for people that have been doing both. i love the show because i love seeing all these people and places and events ive read about. but at the same time, i KNOW what happens in season 3, there will be no shock factor, even in Episode 9 (9 is their big one, S1 it was Ned, S2 it was B.W. Bay)

whereas i would burn down a church for children with special needs to get book 6.

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

very true. at least for people that have been doing both. i love the show because i love seeing all these people and places and events ive read about. but at the same time, i KNOW what happens in season 3, there will be no shock factor, even in Episode 9 (9 is their big one, S1 it was Ned, S2 it was B.W. Bay)

whereas i would burn down a church for children with special needs to get book 6.
agreed. I enjoy the show for what it is, and the books for what they are.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
based on that definition i truly think its possible for the Seneschal to be varys or Illyrio
Well I've never considered Illyrio as being a part of any house, but rather an independent master of his own estate - but I can see how a case could be made for him holding a position in the underground Targaeryan house. Now, as to them being important, that could very well tie into the Blackfyre thing - I've seen some speculation that they are actually Blackfyres in hiding, from when the remnants of the family crossed the narrow sea.

Quote:
and what are u talking about with the citadel there? you completely lost me on that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Satin claimed that before he joined the Night's Watch he was a "pillow boy" at the Citadel. The maesters of the Citadel are the ones that killed the last dragons, and work to prevent the return of magic to the world. That's why I think Satin is the perfumed seneschal and is working for the Citadel in some capacity.

Quote:
explain
With the wording of the prophecy, how they are lumped by commas, people seem to assume that they have to come together. Kraken and dark flame HAVE to mean Victarion and Moqorro, because they are together in the prophecy and have come together in the books. Lion and griffin HAVE to mean Tyrion and Connington, because they are together in the prophecy and have come together in the books. I'm just not entirely convinced and think GRRM could very well have laid it out in that way simply to have red herrings everywhere, so I like to keep my mind open to other possibilities.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Fire Giant

I want to expound a bit on the Blackfyre thing, because I think it's an interesting possibility. The vast plot goes something like this - Varys and Serra were brother and sister, children of the Blackfyre house. Upon the doom of the house they ended up as slaves. Now, Varys was picked specifically and bought by the wizard that...eunichized? him. At that point, Varys was already well into an apprenticeship (you know, as a MUMMER), so I'm sure buying him would have been a lot more expensive than any unskilled slave. So, why? After his junk was cut off, it was thrown into a fire during a spell. And what makes magic more powerful? The blood of kings!

Also, Varys said that when Selmy killed Maelys at the battle of Stepstones, it was the end of the male line of house Blackfyre. Not the end of the line, the end of the male line. So this leaves us with Serra, Varys' sister. The last of the female line of Blackfyre. Illyrio marries his first wife in order to increase his station. She dies (how convenient), and he marries Serra. Illyrio and Serra have a child...a child they name Aegon. DUN DUN DUUUUNNNNN!
Closed Thread