Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

View Poll Results: First class on fresh green?
Bard 34 8.33%
Cleric 26 6.37%
Druid 39 9.56%
Enchanter 53 12.99%
Magician 28 6.86%
Monk 17 4.17%
Necromancer 47 11.52%
Paladin 18 4.41%
Ranger 12 2.94%
Rogue 11 2.70%
Shadow knight 15 3.68%
Shaman 44 10.78%
Warrior 15 3.68%
Wizard 25 6.13%
Won't play on a new server 24 5.88%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2023, 10:38 PM
Planar Protector

I see bards have a low vote rate. Whats so bad about a bard on day 1, is it just the hybrid penalty or?
Old 02-17-2023, 11:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I see bards have a low vote rate. Whats so bad about a bard on day 1, is it just the hybrid penalty or?
crackdowns on zone disruptions
end game raiders dont really wanna be a mana battery and they become less and less needed the more people or gear you have, plus enchanters do what they do but better. and twisting becomes a gigantic chore because fights dont last long
and many many many people get depressed as fuck after they learn bard mechanics and their starting stats into cha are a waste and they spent 10k+ on a suit of mystic high elf armor
oof and when people find out how small the radius is on level 32 mana song and the constant requests to sing it because there is no buff icon for it

but seriously, one charm target like a gypsy in mistmoore or a mist golem in com and bards just loose all viability

WAIT! You are about to say Bards can be the jack of all, but master at none!
But thats the problem. 10% haste at level 10? 20% haste at level 37? 30% haste at 50? your dots wont have a chance to tick more than once or twice. if the said bard was an enchanter they can do much better in all aspects of being worthy of a slot.
WAIT! You are about to say this game is so easy and-
Look, new server rushes brings out the worst in people, and there will be more people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joseph-joestar-jojo.jpg (20.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-18-2023, 06:53 AM
Fire Giant

Rogue. My favourite gameplay is dungeon grouping. I mained SK first go around and it was a blast. I think I'd have as much fun on a Rogue too even if they aren't as quickly grabbed for groups as tanks are.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:49 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bards are pretty powerful soloers in classic. Not enchanter level strong but can solo better than most with charm that I’ve seen. No manasong but eh, still good in groups too.

You just don’t get anything from being a classic bard. Guise, lol? Firepot bind (theoretically possible but why bother)? Elder beads, meet singing steel helm. Manastone, outside of classic no use whatsoever.

Add to that how your hard work leveling a classic bard gets practically nullified once swarming restrictions are gone. Even more so once class XP penalty is gone.

The Epic is a pain to deal with too….
Old 02-18-2023, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Can't speak for anyone else, but for me personally, it's the twisting: I already suffer serious tendinitis just from playing this game (and using the computer in general), and I feel like my arms would just fall off if I tried to play a Bard.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-18-2023, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can't speak for anyone else, but for me personally, it's the twisting: I already suffer serious tendinitis just from playing this game (and using the computer in general), and I feel like my arms would just fall off if I tried to play a Bard.

You could probably get a mouse that has the side hot buttons I dunno if p99 lets you map those or not though
[XX Rogue] Hailto (Half-Elf)
Red:
[21 Wizard] Hailto (Dark-Elf)
Old 02-18-2023, 06:23 PM
Fire Giant

So many shamans. The class isn't that great in classic. The playstyle is crap, too. All single-target buffs, Greater Healing as your best heal, Instill as your best root, Canni 1, slow is barely worth using in group content and very few raid targets are slowable. The class really doesn't come into its own until Kunark. It's bizarre that this poll has it as the #1 most played class on a fresh server.
Old 02-18-2023, 07:03 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So many shamans. The class isn't that great in classic. The playstyle is crap, too. All single-target buffs, Greater Healing as your best heal, Instill as your best root, Canni 1, slow is barely worth using in group content and very few raid targets are slowable. The class really doesn't come into its own until Kunark. It's bizarre that this poll has it as the #1 most played class on a fresh server.
It’s a long play type of choice. It only gets stronger as the content progresses. Good in groups, duos and solo. Dumping DKP on shammy gear makes sense, the same can hardly be said about mages wizards and whatnot. You have gate and can get a firepot bind. You have use for guise too so it makes sense for classic to roll one. No massive XP penalty either. No need to wait for Kunark to be the best possible race.

If I didn’t have a shammy on green I’d make one on a fresh server.
Old 02-18-2023, 09:58 PM
Fire Giant

Life... God?... why... can't I just... Human Sk... or Erudite SK.

Voted Human Sk.
Old 02-19-2023, 12:27 AM
Fire Giant

To those going SK/Pally /Salute From one Day 1 Knight to the others. You are the brave, people will shun you, but just show them the error of their ways. It can be tough, but Knights are truly amazing in classic EQ.

Also imo let people play what they want. First few months are super fun to see all the grouping
Mama Vinelsier Lepermesiah Server 1st 60 Grave Lord(And only The Grave Lord)//Resilak 50 Monk//Tenchi Masaki 50 Wizard//Jaskieer 48 Bard// Heeheehee Teeheehee 57 Mage// Belll Cranel 50 Monkdrackgon 54 rogue, Cuddlezzz 60 shaman
RIP<Gathered Might>