Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 03:05 PM
Sarnak

Default Best way to roll for loot

There are a couple of ways in which loot is divided. I don't like them.

Need before greed. I like this as lower level with items that aren't worth much. Great for new players (much more fun to loot something than buy it) and selling the items usually isn't really worth the time you put into it. When items starting getting some real value it's not a nice rule any more. However wins it, need or not, can sell it and buy something they do need. End result: player gets item they need. Just a step in between.

The 'It's-okay-buds-we're-all-rich-so-roll-on-everything-I-don't-care-at-all-although-I-do-care-to-roll-lol. Seen it happen in Old Sebilis so many times. 8 items drop, 3 people leave with items.

I think the best way to roll for items in a group is the following:

Whatever drops, you roll for it.
If something else drops that you want, you roll for it as well. If you win, you throw the first item you won back into the group for a roll (you don't get to roll on this).

That way if 6 items drop for a group of 6 players everyone gets an item.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:47 PM
Planar Protector

I'm still a firm believer that EverQuest is itemized so weirdly and arbitrarily that there is no consistently adoptable system for pickup groups. It simply is, as you say, three people leaving with the eight items. And that's on a good day.

Now, I'm not saying never try other systems - if you do, just be forthright about it. Set expectations at the start of the group. The *very* start of the group - not when you're finally at the crypt door or whatever. That first kor shaman you kill could drop a Siblisian Berserker Cloak, and that would be an absolutely shitty time to say, "Oh, did I mention this is need before greed?"

So yeah, absolutely go start a group and do trade-up loot, just make sure everyone knows what they're getting into.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csihar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the best way to roll for items in a group is the following:

Whatever drops, you roll for it.
If something else drops that you want, you roll for it as well. If you win, you throw the first item you won back into the group for a roll (you don't get to roll on this).

That way if 6 items drop for a group of 6 players everyone gets an item.
Here is a person saying something really smart, good, and logical. Will people embrace it or will they shoot it down? Subscribed.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:20 PM
Planar Protector

You won't find many groups willing to adopt or people join a group with this loot method. Especially in SEB. Where people go specifically to win big money items.

Like Paul said you better tell people that is how loot is being handled before you just toss it out there cause you will find yourself grpless

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 10-01-2016, 07:36 PM
Planar Protector

I like the idea of trade-up loot, I just think in EQ it would end up being too tedious and bureaucratic.

The main reason FFA rolling is the generally accepted default system is because it requires the least amount of effort. No one has to be master looter and keep track of everything, no one has to convince anyone else that the item *really is* an upgrade for them - it's just roll your dice and move on.

So I mean, trade-up loot is actually fair and I would love to be in a group where someone handles loot that way, but the fluidity of most groupings makes it far too impractical. I'm often in groups that completely change members in the course of a couple hours.

Imagine trying to explain the loot system to a new member every 15 minutes. And as soon as you're gone, it will instantly fall back to FFA rolling if someone else doesn't take the reins. It's a nice idea, but it's not really feasible as a mainstay on P99. It's feasible as an alternative - just like NBG - which it already is.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:54 PM
Planar Protector

Just random everything. Win some, lose some. Play long enough and you're going to get the crap you want anyway.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:06 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just random everything. Win some, lose some. Play long enough and you're going to get the crap you want anyway.
Pretty much
Old 10-02-2016, 03:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here is a person saying something really smart, good, and logical. Will people embrace it or will they shoot it down? Subscribed.
Here to shoot it down and I haven't even read it yet.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 10-02-2016, 05:10 AM
Banned

If you aren't pooling loot then doing drunk Kelethin races, you're doing it wrong.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:12 AM
Planar Protector

If nobody says anything I think its safe to assume common sense, that if a RBG or something randomly drops in Seb that everyone should get to roll.

People who say things like "oh i really hope a heiro cloak drops guys, this {Raw Silk Cloak} is so bad haha" expecting a NBG roll are expecting a lot out of the community if they think people will just give up their roll.

Definitely good to set rules at the beginning but above all else you'll always leave poorer if you're a Zyzzy than an Abacab
Closed Thread