Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 12:40 PM
Kobold

By all means you have the right to do that, as does everyone. Whether it is justified differs from person to person and how they view the world/society/life/religion etc..

The only point I attempted to make is that thought process is selfish. An individual may truly believe the pros outway the cons, and they very well may depending again on your view/belief, but it is still a selfish train of thought and decision.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:45 PM
Kobold

The entire argument of "is it selfish" just doesn't matter. On one hand, yes it is selfish. We make 100s of decisions every day and there are plenty of selfish ones in there. When discussing the utter misery somebody has to go through (usually a lifelong battle) to decide on suicide, arguing whether it is selfish or not is not only irrelevant, it's also counterproductive. If we participate in a culture that merely labels suicide as "selfish," we erode whatever last ember of self-worth somebody contemplating suicide hangs onto.

Selfishness can be a judgment of blame; in my previous post, I demonstrated that "blame" is not so black and white when you actually look at it with a discerning eye.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Planar Protector

People in third world nations are the ones who have it much rougher than we do.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:56 PM
VIP / Contributor

i understand the whole "its selfish to commit suicide because it hurts the people that love you" point of view

but if you are truly that unhappy, wouldn't it be even more selfish of the people that love you if they prevent it? realistically, they aren't thinking about you or how miserable you are. they are thinking about themselves, and how losing you will effect themselves and their own lives.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 08-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i understand the whole "its selfish to commit suicide because it hurts the people that love you" point of view

but if you are truly that unhappy, wouldn't it be even more selfish of the people that love you if they prevent it? realistically, they aren't thinking about you or how miserable you are. they are thinking about themselves, and how losing you will effect themselves and their own lives.
That's true to an extent, but you have to consider the responsibilities a person has when they make that choice. If I have young children, it absolutely is selfish to take my own life. I created them, and I have responsibilities to them that will go drastically unfulfilled.

It's one thing when a person kills themself due to crippling mental illness, and it's another when they do so fully informed of the consequences and they're in a reasonably cogent state of mind. Selflessness and responsibility are about performing your duties even if they make you unhappy. It's not entirely black and white, but well-informed suicide is often very selfish.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieza_Prexus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's true to an extent, but you have to consider the responsibilities a person has when they make that choice. If I have young children, it absolutely is selfish to take my own life. I created them, and I have responsibilities to them that will go drastically unfulfilled.

It's one thing when a person kills themself due to crippling mental illness, and it's another when they do so fully informed of the consequences and they're in a reasonably cogent state of mind. Selflessness and responsibility are about performing your duties even if they make you unhappy. It's not entirely black and white, but well-informed suicide is often very selfish.
Robin Williams's children are self sufficient adults.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:23 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieza_Prexus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

so every situation is different? and we shouldn't paint them all with one broad stroke?

where have i heard that before? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 08-20-2014, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KagatobLuvsAnimu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Robin Williams's children are self sufficient adults.
Once you turn 18 and get a job, there is no need for parent anymore.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenzig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Once you turn 18 and get a job, there is no need for parent anymore.
Why 18? So basically you don't need a parent once society determines you are a legal adult? It wasn't that long ago when 14 was the age of adulthood.

For the simple act of survival you don't need a parent past a very young age. However, we are know longer cave dwelling sociopaths.
It's pretty clear he's become one of the people he described as No-life Nerds and Server Bullies.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarti0001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why 18? So basically you don't need a parent once society determines you are a legal adult? It wasn't that long ago when 14 was the age of adulthood.

For the simple act of survival you don't need a parent past a very young age. However, we are know longer cave dwelling sociopaths.
To correct this... alot of the people on p99 still might still be cave dwelling sociopaths.
It's pretty clear he's become one of the people he described as No-life Nerds and Server Bullies.
Closed Thread