Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 12:13 AM
Aviak

Default Guitarists: Epiphone Dot Opinions

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/Dot.aspx

I was just wondering your personal opinions on these guitars to those of you who have played them or haven't. Also how would you compare the sound to a Gibson es 335 dot? I played one of these used epiphones the other day and put one on layaway because I absolutely fell in love with the sound and tone.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:46 AM
Fire Giant

Musician's friend is a good place to start

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

The reviews looks pretty good. Some people are having to make adjustments to correct fret buzzing and faulty soldering. Couple people claiming it produces a cheap tinny sound.

Ultimately, the best way to find out if an axe is for you is to get your hands on it. I only deal with acoustics myself. Used to own a starter epiphone dr100. Jammed the fuck out on it and never humidified the thing. It was a trooper lasting nearly 2 years before it's untimely death via 3200000 falling dmg. That being said, most high level practitioners will tell you the brand is shit.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:47 AM
Planar Protector

pretty hard to match the sound of a real Gibson ES-335 - but Epiphones are usually good values for the money imo

some people with strats turn the tone pots all the way down because it sort of sounds like that hollow body sound with more gain
Old 08-28-2014, 01:11 AM
Aviak

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Yeah I agree on the personal feel of the guitar, that's why I had to get it. It just felt so right. It felt like the 60's. I think the pickups will be perfect for the sort of music I want to play as well. I can't really find any bad reviews on it, only a few Gibson freaks (don't get me wrong I love Gibson) being picky as always.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:36 AM
Planar Protector

I like my epiphone, it's not a Dot though. I've never plugged into a standard amp, just into my line 6 guitar port, but sounds really clean. I've had fender, yamaha, gibson, though the one I miss the most is my takamine.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:29 AM
Planar Protector

Had an old epiphone that was crap when I received it for replacing a friends brakes years ago. It probably is not a good comparison since it needed more work than it was worth but it still played ...some...lol

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar
I have a 6string ESP atm but this 7 string would be a nice addition if you're into deeper sounds or the lovely non standard tunings.

Sweetwater has ok gear but they tend to have higher prices
http://www.sweetwater.com/

Sam Ash and other big names are also reputable where if there's any problems you can easily ship it back & have them restock pickups, set intonation, etc...
Old 08-28-2014, 02:01 PM
Sarnak

Just pick something up used on CL. Most instruments loose so much value soon as you take it out of the store its 100% worthless to buy pretty much anything new. Just remember 90% of your tone is from your amp.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawll [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just pick something up used on CL. Most instruments loose so much value soon as you take it out of the store its 100% worthless to buy pretty much anything new. Just remember 90% of your tone is from your amp.
I agree used is the only way to go