Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 02:26 AM
Large Bat

Default New to P99 and have no idea what to do

Well, as the title says, I'm completely lost. I played EQ waaaay back in the day and loved it. For some reason, I just cannot remember what to do, what the shortcut keys are, where to go, etc. Is there anyone else out there that is just getting started again that would like to group up and get re-acquainted with this awesome game again?

If there are any guides I should look at, that would be helpful as well. Looking forward to getting back into it and getting to know some folks.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:24 AM
Planar Protector

http://wiki.project1999.com/Main_Page contains a few class specific guides and command info, among other things, most of which is accurate.

Also http://newbiezone.freewebspace.com/newbieFAQ.html for true noobs (some of the info does not apply to classic EQ though).
Last edited by Ennewi; 04-21-2014 at 10:31 AM..
Old 04-21-2014, 04:35 AM
Sarnak

Welcome back to Norrath!

What's your name in game?

The wiki is a wonderful resource. Use it for anything that you ever have questions about including; maps, quests, classes, alcohol tolerance, hunting locations, spells, etc.

The Search feature is also a wonderful tool found on the upper right of this forum. Most of the time if you're ever wondering about something, someone else has already wondered about it and asked about it on the forums.

Also remember, Alt+F4 does NOT square any platinum that you have selected on your cursor.

Ingrum Irontoe
Retired Warlord of Brell
"Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal..."
Old 04-21-2014, 09:00 AM
Planar Protector

http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Laugher

If you haven't moved any of your hotkeys yet autoattack is button 1, that will help you get to level 5 soon enough [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

if you're a caster then mem a spell and alt+1 will help you get to level 5 soon enough [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also make sure you know your way back to your local class trainer, thats going to be a necessity for a few levels. If you're a caster its also how you'll find your spell merchants.

right click a corpse to loot; ctrl s to sit, ctrl x to camp etc.

kill loot sell train/scribe repeat until 60

*edit* one more thing the /con system: factionwise you'll have to figure it out, but targeting or right clicking an NPC will tell you if its red, yellow, white, dark blue, light blue, or green. Don't go off the deep end and try to kill reds; yellows are pretty risky without gear too. Stick to white being the highest con you'll kill if you don't want to have to recover your corpse a lot, and of course greens give no xp.
Last edited by Laugher; 04-21-2014 at 10:13 AM..
Old 04-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Large Bat

Awesome, thanks everyone for the advice. @Laugher, really appreciate the hotkey tips as well.

@Ingrum, I started a druid yesterday, but I died somewhere pretty quickly and am thinking about starting a new char tonight. Any advice on which race/class to start with? I was thinking dark elf necro.

I also was wondering which race to start with in order to start in a good city. I know that there are some preferable starting cities, especially for noobs.

And if anyone wants to roll a new char tonight, let me know, I'll be on in a few hours.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Large Bat

Actually, if anyone has suggestions on what the server needs more of (druid, cleric, etc...), I may make one of those. I just need to make sure it's a class that I can attempt to solo with, because I assume there won't be many low level players to group with.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stytown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually, if anyone has suggestions on what the server needs more of (druid, cleric, etc...), I may make one of those. I just need to make sure it's a class that I can attempt to solo with, because I assume there won't be many low level players to group with.
Project 1999 Red needs more rangers.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Aviak

Healers and tanks are in short supply, from what I hear, in the high end. Play what you want. Pally and Ranger are the least popular, with some good reason and some not. Shamans are everywhere.
Vlakraien - Wood Elf Druid | Liito (Atraydeez)- Dark Elf Cleric | Rahban (Haarkonin) - Troll Warrior | Stylgarr (Freman) - Barbarian Rogue | Pytur (Dvries) - Erudite Necromancer | Gernie (Hallek) - Human Bard
Old 04-21-2014, 04:31 PM
Sarnak

Well let's see, Dark Elf necromancers make excellent first characters because of their ability to perform well without good gear or friends! They can solo very well, add tons of DPS in groups, are extremely versatile when fighting undead, can give their mana to other players (Like the group Cleric if he is low on mana and shit has hit the fan!), and they can feign death at higher levels to avoid a lot of bad situations.

Since Dark Elves start in Neriak you'll be very close to East Commonlands where it's very easy for a new player to get some help and learn the game in relative safety. EC Tunnel is where everybody congregates to sell their loot, buy new gear, lose all their money to gambling, and there's almost always someone willing to buff lowbies if they just ask nicely. You will also have no problem finding people to group with in that area because there's everything from snakes, bears, willowisps, to orc camps, and a really cool dungeon named Befallen one zone away in West Commonlands.

Int casters are also a good choice because there are many incredibly useful items like Mystic Cloak that are easily quested and will help you save some plat early on when you need it for spells and/or billions of bone chips.

Hope that sheds some light for ya. If I were you I would go ahead and roll one up and try to work your way to level 8. You'll have a decent pet at level 8 and by that time you should have a good feel for how the DE necro ticks.

Like I said, they don't need much gear to be effective so you really only lose some time and will probably have made a few plat that you can pass to another character if you really aren't digging it.

Good luck!

Ingrum Irontoe
Retired Warlord of Brell
"Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal..."
Last edited by Ingrum; 04-21-2014 at 04:36 PM..
Closed Thread