Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Banned

Default Warrior Aggro

Sucks.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Planar Protector

It's not so bad. Need proc weapons and they still have better mitigation than hybrids. I'm sure they'll fix it eventually but until they do roll with obsidian shards early. Work on ssoy's past 35 or 37. No idea if you're geared or have money/level/whatever your qq post wasn't in depth enough.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sucks.
This was the most enlightening post I have ever read. Heads will suxplode upon viewing these mighty words.

But yeah, warrior aggro has always been pretty limited, lots of dex and obsidian shards should help for the lower levels. That's why warriors need to have a dps lead on raids to generate enough threat to stay ahead (at least that was the classic way).
Old 06-20-2011, 04:51 AM
Sarnak

I never ever see it mentioned in discussions of warrior aggro, but the act of sitting actually generates a small amount of threat from a mob. Casters have doubtless seen this happen when sitting right after casting an offensive spell or a heal. I actually have a macro that will taunt, cause me to sit, then stand up and turn on attack in the space of one or two seconds. I have found it easy to grab mob aggro when breaking a mez by taunting, sitting, taunting, then sitting again before I break the mez. I dunno how it is figured in to the rest of the mob's hatelist, but you can get their attention with a sit if you are high on the list!
Old 06-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
I'm sure they'll fix it eventually
What are they supposed to fix? Warrior aggro is supposed to suck. It sucked on live at the time, and it sucks equally here. There's not some missing aggro amplifier inherent in the warrior's auto-attack that the devs here forgot to switch on. A warrior's basic aggro is directly proportional to his damage output, and since this typically won't be extremely high, it takes proccing weapons to hold aggro with any kind of consistency. People just have to accept that if their group's tank is a warrior without proc weapons, they can't do their full DPS or debuff on incoming. It's working as intended, even though it sucks.

Quote:
the act of sitting actually generates a small amount of threat
It doesn't. Sitting will temporarily increase your threat by some amount or percentage, but only for as long as you remain sitting. Since you're standing right back up again, it doesn't do anything. The only situation where it might prove useful at all is if the mob has already run a good distance away to chase a caster and you're rooted or something. Then you can sit down to possibly get the mob to run for you and then try to taunt or hit it when it reaches you to regain some aggro. This rarely works because the mob will rubberband right back to said caster the instant you stand up after getting mauled for max damage.
Last edited by greatdane; 06-20-2011 at 09:57 AM..
Old 06-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Aviak

I haven't played since Kunark came out, does taunt work on anything other than blue coning mobs now?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Planar Protector

All three tank classes (four if you include Ranger) have a tougher time holding aggro on P1999 than they did on Live; Warriors just have it worst because the class had the smallest margin of excess hate generation to begin with. It has been said that an aggro re-vamp is on the to-do list for P1999, but given that it's been on the to-do list since the server was 'beta', it's best not to get your hopes up for immediate change. Players being the resourceful people they are, however, means groups have adjusted; rooting everything has become standard practice for many groups.

Danth
Old 06-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What are they supposed to fix? Warrior aggro is supposed to suck. It sucked on live at the time, and it sucks equally here. There's not some missing aggro amplifier inherent in the warrior's auto-attack that the devs here forgot to switch on. A warrior's basic aggro is directly proportional to his damage output, and since this typically won't be extremely high, it takes proccing weapons to hold aggro with any kind of consistency. People just have to accept that if their group's tank is a warrior without proc weapons, they can't do their full DPS or debuff on incoming. It's working as intended, even though it sucks.
Not true - warrior aggro is worse on here than on live. Proc weapons were not a requirement for warriors on live to hold aggro, hence Lammy and Jade Mace being expensive, highly sought after weapons. You could hold aggro with two of either, or one of each. On here, that's unlikely even at lower levels.

It's just different on here. Pick up good proc weapons and you will do fine.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Fire Giant

No you couldn't. Lammy and JM were not tank weapons. You could hold aggro with them if you out-aggroed the other group members through damage output, which would be the case if your group was worse geared than you, but there was no mechanic that made warriors generate more threat than others.

A warrior, a rogue, a ranger and a monk walk into a bar. If they do the same amount of damage, they generate the same amount of threat, assuming that they don't lose or generate any from other sources (snare, procs, feign). If anyone deals more damage than the others, they generate more threat unless others have procs or use spells that generate even more threat. Since warriors aren't particularly great DPS (about on par with a ranger that isn't OOM), and will never outdamage a rogue or monk assuming equivalent gear levels, the warrior will not hold aggro from them by default. It's even harder against casters who generate huge, uncontrollable chunks of threat in one go.

Now, I can't say whether there's some mysterious bug that makes a warrior's melee damage generate less threat than that of other classes. If that's the case, sure, there's a problem. I doubt it is, and any issues with warrior aggro are likely related to other things such as some classes doing too much damage, or threat reduction abilities not working properly. You could never hold aggro reliably with a Lammy unless the rogue was using an even lower-end weapon or your casters waited an exceedingly long time before casting.
Last edited by greatdane; 06-20-2011 at 11:31 AM..
Old 06-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No you couldn't. Lammy and JM were not tank weapons. You could hold aggro with them if you out-aggroed the other group members through damage output, which would be the case if your group was worse geared than you, but there was no mechanic that made warriors generate more threat than others.

A warrior, a rogue, a ranger and a monk walk into a bar. If they do the same amount of damage, they generate the same amount of threat, assuming that they don't lose or generate any from other sources (snare, procs, feign). If anyone deals more damage than the others, they generate more threat unless others have procs or use spells that generate even more threat. Since warriors aren't particularly great DPS (about on par with a ranger that isn't OOM), and will never outdamage a rogue or monk assuming equivalent gear levels, the warrior will not hold aggro from them by default. It's even harder against casters who generate huge, uncontrollable chunks of threat in one go.

Now, I can't say whether there's some mysterious bug that makes a warrior's melee damage generate less threat than that of other classes. If that's the case, sure, there's a problem. I doubt it is, and any issues with warrior aggro are likely related to other things such as some classes doing too much damage, or threat reduction abilities not working properly. You could never hold aggro reliably with a Lammy unless the rogue was using a Dragoon Dirk or something.
i think you're forgetting the point of the lammy in the day was to affect your offhand swing. this doesn't fly on p99 since main & off swing indepedently here, but im sure you remember folks on live with Wurm in the offhand + lammy main for that reason.

Lammy's delay allowed the warrior to hold aggro as long as their offhand choice was high dmg or procd. nothing is different on p99 aside from duel wield mechanics.
Closed Thread