Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 04:16 AM
Planar Protector

hey im fine with the ranger having the penalty, i've played a sk once durring the 2007 progression sever, yea getting to lvl 30 before i did indeed quit took awhile

and i doubt many of any of you play adnd, going to correct on the first page what aeowind said, most or actually all the rules for classes (domintanly most) are taken from adnd

i do play dnd in fact, but atm playing 3.5 rules, after 6 months of our campaign i have my ranger at lvl 5

where before when i played adnd with a paladin after a year, was only lvl 6, usally every friday, for the last two years we have a 5-10 hour session, alot of fun, but between the two versions, its the same as mmos, ive talked to a few in game of here that played dnd, but said it took too long, im on a tangeant

so pretty much the penalties are going to stay!

have fun exping on your hybrids, its a hell of a ride
Old 06-19-2011, 04:24 AM
Kobold

what the flying fuck was that?
Old 06-19-2011, 04:57 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jereziah [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A truly classic experience is one that retained all of the best parts of classic, ie: no POK books, and no expansions yet. So the experience you have, and the environment you're in is immersive, nostalgic, and rewarding.

The experience penalty as you've pointed out was introduced to counter-act what they believed to be classes that could do more than one thing, hybrids, or classes with special bonuses. Back when Everquest was the ONLY game available this was important as it was an entirely new concept: "Hey, if you want to play a warrior/cleric combo, that's fine, but we're penalizing you 40% exp for it. At end levels you'll be able to tank raid bosses, rez, buff, and heal pretty well).

However, with the release of every major game in history, this original experience became less original. Coming back to the game now, almost all of us have experience playing other MMO's, and probably a lot of us have done things like end-game raiding in WoW in which almost EVERY class can serve more than one purpose.

So, looking at it now, experience penalties placed on hybrid classes was a feature of 1999 that isn't a feature anymore as the uniqueness of playing a hybrid died with 10 years of new games. As such, I fully support the removal of experience penalties. I think it would be a welcome change.

All in all, what we need to agree on (hopefully) is that while classic everquest is by far and away the best thing that's happened to the MMO community in a long time, we can't be dictators about it and cold-cut everything that wasn't 1999. The developers need to recognize that the BEST parts of 1999 are already captured on this server, they've succeeded in doing that. At this point we're not gaining more players, we're holding strong where we are. If we begun to look at small changes, creature comforts, it would even further increase the experience.

/2 cents.
I myself have been somewhat un willing to sit by and play with penalties without speaking my mind, and i've voiced my opinion only to be flamed to hell lol but i never really changed my mind, just havent talked so much about it because i've accepted the loss lol

but THIS gentleman has actually convinced me that XP Penalties arent such a bad thing!

Either which way, if timeline follows correctly, we are about a year at most from them being gone for good :P

Asher
Old 06-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Planar Protector

This is now a twice-necro'd thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Kobold

The problem isn't that warriors will be second class citizens to Paladins and Shadowknights suddenly. The problem is that TAUNT MECHANICS are making Warriors second class citizens already! I'd considered playing a warrior, until someone told me that I'd be a shitty tank anyway, and that I shouldn't bother. That's the sentiment that's out there right now.

If taunt worked on mobs post 50, or on mobs above your level, warriors wouldn't have any trouble keeping aggro. You should really address this IMO.

And the only increase in Paladin/Shadowknight etc enrollment that you would see is from the amount of people who are discouraged by having to work twice as hard to be inferior at everything they do anyway just because they like the class.

Last night I was grouped on the orc hill at level 4. I was my group's tank. By the end of the night, my group was level 8-9, and I was level 6. In no way was I a capable tank for my group, as they outpaced me so badly in ONE PLAYING SESSION. That's a little extreme, don't you think? I don't even bother friending non-hybrids because of what I experienced last night. In a week they'll have surnames and be in Unrest just as I'm leaving crushbone.

I played a Dwarf Paladin before, and I want to do it again for flavor's sake. I love to roleplay the character, and I'll take my lumps if I have to, but Jesus this is brutal.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messianic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is now a twice-necro'd thread.
Guess it must be relevant then?
Old 06-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Kobold

even if Xp for these classes was working as intended, The misconception that most people have about hybrids on this server will insure you're still not gonna get a group unless it is a bunch of friends. What Id like to find out;Is deaths based on percentage of the xp you obtain or need to advance? Currently it sure feels like my Ranger looses double the xp on a death than my warrior.

Id much rather see mobs take off at 1/4 health as they did on live than have xp changed. A major reason you never went into kunark or old world places w/o some kind of snare in this era was you'd train yourself if you did. This change alone would give reason to group rangers/druids/wizards//bards for snare and SK/Necro for engulfing darkness....... Which change benefits more classes?
Old 06-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Planar Protector

What can be annoying as a troll SK, is being told that a group needs a tank but it would rather wait for one rather than take you in (leaving the likes of a monk to tank while waiting), all because of the experience penalty.

Lunacy in my eyes, perhaps some wisdom in it in others. Troll racial penalty (20%) with hybrid penalty (40%) can slow a group down - but the group will run smoothly with disease cloud taunts and the healer only having to heal the tank, no aggro spraying around and unnecessary heals across the group.

So the penalty can have an effect on hybrids getting groups (although people will happily take in a bard), but with so few tanks on the server comparitively... you begin to wonder if people really can afford to be picky.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

What if the pen was just lowered, say from 40% to around 25%? that way if you still want to play a hybrid you will still have to work harder but it wont be a near mind numbing exp grind. just my 2 cents =).
Old 06-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Banned

Lol, a year and a half of you guys being dumb enough to keep asking?
Closed Thread