Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Planar Protector

Since somebody brought up taunt, I have to ask how exactly is it broken currently?

It seems to work as intended on my animation. If I cast a dot and sit, the mob comes after me, if I wait till pet says "taunting attacker, master" then sit down, then the mob keeps its attention on my pet.

Are mobs not doing this with PC taunts?
Old 12-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Aviak

Aeol has made some valid points, especially re: the motivation to play warriors and not just SK's and Pally's if tanking-ability is equal. It's a point I overlooked but a critical one. That said, I have one final question I'd like a dev to comment on.

Is there an exp balancing mechanic in place such that in groups everyone receives equal exp? If so, can you elaborate? How does it work? Does it apply only to full groups? I level with my wife and am curious what sort of experience difference I'll see as a bard from her.

Thanks,
Last edited by Jereziah; 12-01-2009 at 12:52 PM..
Old 12-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jereziah [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1) Keep the posts civil folks. Apologies Aeol, disregard the flames.
Seriously, I'm not offended or bothered. There are certain things that were part of Verants "Vision", and XP penalties were one of them. Gotta take the good with the bad.

4) I've forwarded the stuff we have in house to Secrets (new source monkey as soon as we get them SVN access) to make sure it's in and correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Aviak

Aeolwind, I'm not angry.

Let's get this out of the way to begin with.

But, I've played od&d, BECMI, Mentzer, RC, AD&D, 2nd edition, 3e, 3.5, I uhhhh read 4e, got labyrinth lord, castles and crusades, a couple hackmaster books on my shelf...

Other than flavor the way this game works is in no way comparable to d&d (even the caster disparity is in no way as bad in eq as in d&d. Though if you are using RC and BECMI weapon specialization makes a warrior a force to be feared at Immortal levels; I mean heck at that point you are trying to become a god anyway.)

Ok, I get it. You are not changing the penalties. But I know I'm right. When I've had enough beating my head against the wall I'll quit.

But not until then.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Since somebody brought up taunt, I have to ask how exactly is it broken currently?

It seems to work as intended on my animation. If I cast a dot and sit, the mob comes after me, if I wait till pet says "taunting attacker, master" then sit down, then the mob keeps its attention on my pet.

Are mobs not doing this with PC taunts?
I can't say anything about high level, but in the low teens the chance that a taunt is successful is too low. I don't believe you are allowed to taunt even or higher cons here at all which I seem to remember you could. It tapered off pretty quickly as the con went up though and by the time a mob was a low red con to you, it was pretty useless.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

I never said you were wrong about the penalties. Under different circumstance I might even agree. I *think some source mechanics issues seem to be in the way as well making the experience penalty not operate correctly. If that is the case, then we'll fix it.

*( I have no personal experience with this or the source, I'm basing my comments off the posts and opinions of others and as such may change when more information is available.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Let me double check, should have already been done. There is code laying around here somewhere for it if it isn't.
I don't think it is in, sunday I was in a MM group as a 22 bard, I start group with 1 Gold into 22, a group mate (enc) lvled 2 times (22-24) by the time I got close to 23... Even if he was only 1 gold or 1 blue to his next lvl I should have at least lvled before his next 2nd ding if the group xp is =
Old 12-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaviyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Has this xp-equalizing system for groups been confirmed? I think this would be a great arguement for keeping the penalties if so.

EDIT: I found this http://everquest.allakhazam.com/edit...rs_letter.html
This hits the nail on the head... Roll up a bard/sk/paladin... try to keep the same group of friends together for more than a week. I was grouped with a rogue/druid 3 nights in a row... I started as a paladin at level 11, they were level 10... by the 3rd night i was level 14 (almost 15) and they were levels 17 and 18. Now I get to find another group to do this with... rinse repeat untill your getting tells from people who are level 22 sending you tells of congrats for getting 16. Oh what fun (sarcasm).

You want 1999, that is fine... but right now unless your twinked to hell, getting power leveled, or just like beating your head against a wall, there is no reason to be a hybrid. One of the great things about eq is finding "friends" and being able to play together. Your exp penalty takes away from that community experience. Just do a /who sometime. The reason bards/rangers are the least played classes in the game is not due to bugs/suck factor... its cause of the bugs/suck factor plus penalties that people just say "no way in hell". Take a poll, I bet there have been 100 plus bards leveled to 10-15 that then quit due to the penalty.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Fire Giant

Equilization is definitely not in the game as of yet.. as a warrior I am leveling quite a bit faster than the other group mates (aside from the whole dying more than them thing).

But.. Does that mean my XP is going to slow down? That would fucking blow.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Aviak

On live, as i understood it, hybrids would get xp from a "phantom" pool.

Basically the xp each group member would get for killing a mob was the same, but the hybrid got 40% more out of thin air.

So basically when grouped they would level at the same rate as everyone else.

That is how I understood it to work.

Edit: just want to add that the probably reason you are levelling faster, is that warriors get a 10% bonus to experience as a class.
Closed Thread