Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 07:03 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New player, looking to get the classic EQ experience.

Hey there,

I'm looking to join the Server. I was just a little young to have played Everquest in it's heyday, (born 1991), so I have been wanting to find a Private server that tries to remain true to the old live version of the game. I grew up playing FFXI, which some say tried to emulate EQ in many ways. Looking at videos I see a lot of similarities, but a lot of differences as well.

A few questions I did have.

-How close to the original Everquest experience is this? From what I read it's on par with the original minus a few changes here and there.

-How is the community? I know this server has been out for about 8 years now.

-How hard would it be for a new player now? Is there enough people where finding parties at lower levels is viable?

-I saw they got rid of the exp bonuses/losses for different classes. How hard is it to reach 60 on this server?

I hate to be 'That Guy' that asks stupid questions on the forum before even trying out the game. I know in the end the community and experience boils down to personal preference and how active you are willing to be in-game lol. I play another MMO currently, but I just login for PvP events and nothing else at this point, so I would spend a few hours a day on here most likely. Any answers are much appreciated, thanks!
Old 06-23-2017, 07:35 PM
Planar Protector

#1 Ignore all online information and the wiki. That is the best possible classic experience you'll achieve. In terms of mechanics and gameplay. P99 is very classic and very well coded. It's been years in the making and nothing EQ comes to it. Not even live eq.

#2 The community is better than it has ever been in years. Seriously. Most of the bitter vets and trolls have moved on. So we're left with people who actually enjoy playing the game and want to be alongside others who enjoy it.

#3 There are tons of friendly people to help new players learn the ropes. It's a great time to try p99! There are people at ALL levels.. seriously Maybe not at low pop but that's to be expected on any game. Tons of group-ability here.

#4 For a brand new player expect it to take about 3 months of active play to hit 60. And I wont lie to you. There are people who powerlevel their long time guild friends in a weekend. But it's not all that common. I achieved my first level 60 after playing 2 years and two other characters before it. Who still to this day are not 60,.. but close.
Each character was a unique adventure. I met new people, saw zones I never played in before and experienced things in old zones I never got to see on my other characters. Exploring while leveling is probably one of the greatest things you can do to really experience classic - velious EQ.

#5 spend more time in game and less time on the forums. Unless you're looking for answers. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Welcome to p99!
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 06-23-2017 at 07:40 PM..
Old 06-23-2017, 07:45 PM
Planar Protector

Stay away from the toxic red server and you'll be golden. Great game great community!
Old 06-25-2017, 10:35 PM
Large Bat

I started from scratch, really is a great time. I rarely have had issues finding groups, usually the problem is some places are too full lol. There are new players and veterans starting low level characters, and I don't see too much straight power leveling and ruining zones.

As for your age, I am not much older than you (1988), I got to play some Classic but I never knew what I was doing lol. Much better this time around!
Old 06-27-2017, 03:44 AM
Fire Giant

3 months to 60 is of course doable, even for a newbie, but i don't think you should rush it. Take your time, maybe make some alts... 60 is not the magic wonderland, for me the lower levels are way more interesting.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:50 AM
Kobold

To answer your questions... for the classic eq experience you have nothing to worry about. It's all good. Join up!
Old 07-02-2017, 10:47 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey there,

I'm looking to join the Server. I was just a little young to have played Everquest in it's heyday, (born 1991), so I have been wanting to find a Private server that tries to remain true to the old live version of the game. I grew up playing FFXI, which some say tried to emulate EQ in many ways. Looking at videos I see a lot of similarities, but a lot of differences as well.

A few questions I did have.

-How close to the original Everquest experience is this? From what I read it's on par with the original minus a few changes here and there.

-How is the community? I know this server has been out for about 8 years now.

-How hard would it be for a new player now? Is there enough people where finding parties at lower levels is viable?

-I saw they got rid of the exp bonuses/losses for different classes. How hard is it to reach 60 on this server?

I hate to be 'That Guy' that asks stupid questions on the forum before even trying out the game. I know in the end the community and experience boils down to personal preference and how active you are willing to be in-game lol. I play another MMO currently, but I just login for PvP events and nothing else at this point, so I would spend a few hours a day on here most likely. Any answers are much appreciated, thanks!
I was just about to make a thread asking these same questions. Even born in the same year. So, thanks to the poster and those whom answered.

Someone recently mentioned Project1999 and I couldn't resist. Though after logging in, I am quite lost.

I created a Half Elf (Bard) and started in Freeport. Then walked around until I realized I had an inventory and stuff in it. Equipped my short sword an read a note...about as far as I have gotten.

I am hoping there is a TS server or Discord but, failing that scour the forums I shall.

Happy hunting.
Closed Thread