Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

i started playin eq when i was 9 years old
Old 09-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtnap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Using "This is a 12 year old game" as an argument for anything. Who cares how old the game is? Why does the age matter? Someone give me one good reason why the age of the game matters in any argument.
somebody struck a nerve
Old 09-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here's a reason that works:

Most people playing this 12 years ago were in that 16 year old + category. It had monthly fee so a credit card and that was hard to get parents to do over a video game in the 90's. People playing this game now for the FIRST time defy the norm. Confusing or not, welcome aboard. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Add 12 years to the average player and they are close to 30 if not well over that.

Most people did the live game, enjoyed it and moved on. Now back to relive childhood memories for the nostalgia (not to be a damn child again).

Oh...that and the graphics are akin to a Nintendo 64 and people treat it like a religion to this day.
not directed at you specifically in anyway, but SOME of those people, who just want to relieve the nostalgia, and DO NOT take game seriously any more, SHOULD go and join EZ server (or any other set at x10 Xp rate, free epics at level 1) where they can be level 70 in 2 hours, and just run around one-shooting the mobs all day long.

And original poster is right, age of the game is irrelevant - you either take the game seriously and with respect, or you don't.

I believe that 2nd type of people do not belong here.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
not directed at you specifically in anyway, but SOME of those people, who just want to relieve the nostalgia, and DO NOT take game seriously any more, SHOULD go and join EZ server (or any other set at x10 Xp rate, free epics at level 1) where they can be level 70 in 2 hours, and just run around one-shooting the mobs all day long.

And original poster is right, age of the game is irrelevant - you either take the game seriously and with respect, or you don't.

I believe that 2nd type of people do not belong here.
Agreed completely.

The game definitely is worthy of respect. I've never muttered that phrase because I have high views of the game (more than some family members [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]). The comment about being a child isn't knocking the activity of playing intensely but personalities/antics of certain people.

It's ideal to think people have matured in 12 years. It's also ideal to think the, "it's a 12 year old game" is anything but a petty jab and justification for cheaters and assholes to get away with murder.

Respect or GTFO.
Last edited by Snaggles; 09-06-2011 at 08:15 PM..
Old 09-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Sarnak

I was never talking about the cheaters. I was talking about people saying it in an average argument. Like "Lol your getting mad over a 12 year old game." Why in that sentence, does the age of the game matter? I honestly think you just look stupid adding that into the statement. Much more stupid than the statement would have originally made you look.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetrium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It provides scope.

Someone cheating at StarCraft2 is one thing.
Someone cheating at a 12-year old emulated game is another.

While being caught cheating at something is embarrassing in any regard, I think cheating at something so niche is just downright humiliating.
Pretty much nailed it.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Sarnak

i miss tags [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The actual argument is, "it's only a game."

People add the 12-year old part because its more pejorative. Unfortunately, it also dulls the point.

It's only a game.
eq is srs businness
Attached Images
File Type: jpg falconpunch.jpg (89.9 KB, 90 views)
Old 09-07-2011, 05:35 AM
Kobold

The 12 years thing is used to provide additional accent on the absurdity of getting so indignant about a computer game. For example, if your playing the latest, greatest multi-player game that everyone is talking about, there is a contemporary cathexis by which one's actions may have a notable effect on any number of people and thus hold a veritable (yet ultimately trivial) significance within this tiny facet of life. Conversely, if you're playing a recreation of much older game where the nature of the appeal is primarily nostalgic, it seems that much more ridiculous to consider the activity with any seriousness.

That will have to do for an explanation as I am presently rather tired.
Last edited by Rainflush; 09-07-2011 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Fire Giant

What does it matter that it's a game regardless of the age? It's a hobby, it's challenging (unless you cheat), you have fun playing it, etc.
Heck, I have an arcade console based off of MAME and I love playing the old school arcade games from the 70's and 80's (which I enjoyed as a young boy back then). Why? They are challenging and fun to play and it's a hobby. Nothing wrong with that. I agree that people who add the age of the game or the fact that it's emulated really don't understand the idea that these facts do not matter. Many have returned to EQ on Project 1999 BECAUSE it is hard and very close to how the game was on live back in 1999 / 2000. Others who never played the gave before came to Project 1999 because they know someone who played EQ back in the day or heard how great and challenging the game used to be and wanted to see for themselves.
People get worked up over the game because it means something more to them than just something to kill a few hours playing and that's fine. There are thousands of people who sit in front of their screens getting VERY worked up and excited, dressing up in costumes, clearing up blocks of time to dedicate to their enjoyment of... watching sports.. I don't begrudge them with their even older games so why begrudge people who like a 12-year old emulated game?
-----------------------
Closed Thread