Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Planar Protector

The big downside that Luclin would pose to this server is our small population would get spread out too much.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofqueens123 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Baz was great, people talking about missing out on interacting with other people? who wants to deal with poeple....[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Seriously, I play this MMO to be ALONE, geez people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Skeleton

I can do without luclin but the bazaar or something like it would be great - I have little enough time to play and would rather not spend it trying to be heard in the massive spam fest that is east commonlands
Old 06-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Aviak

Everyone has their own opinions on what parts of the game they like best, for me I would enjoy a server (if it had a lot of players) which had all expacs through Luclin. RoK and SoL are my two favorites /shrug. Also, I would actually like a retro server that had all expacs through LDoN, but without PoP. Luclin was a good enough hub, we didn't need another one, and simplified travel without completely trivializing it. That would also give all classes, and races except drakkin for people to play, if there was a slight mod to enable Berserkers into the LDoN era. (You don't really need GoD to have a BER, and you can just move the tomes they would need somewhere else).
Old 06-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewaz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The big downside that Luclin would pose to this server is our small population would get spread out too much.
^^^

This! Honestly I think it will get that way with Velious if not now.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyholiday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^^^

This! Honestly I think it will get that way with Velious if not now.
Its very possible. We may get some population growth on the initial release but there still should be a nice chunk of time before velious. I have a feeling this server will grow a bit this fall/winter.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Planar Protector

My opinion over the months and years has changed in slight ways. Kind of an evolution. I think I already stated it in this thread but it might have changed in some way so I'll state it again. The temporal differences are enough, I'd think.

What did I think of luclin back then and what do I think about the conventional views here about luclin?

Conventional Views:
1) Bazaar destroyed player trading
Somewhat agree. But I also disagree. I think what EQ really needed was auto-traders that would stay in-game even when we logged out. UO had that back in 1999, so why couldn't EQ? Not only that, UO had houses and you could put your merchant in your house. UO kicked the pants off EQ with respect to sandbox features. But part of me liked the open markets we had with the EC tunnel and whatnot. Trading was more fluid. Since you had to talk to the other player you could often get a better deal. Bazaar, by comparison, was robotic and cold. It even had banker robots and other things to feel our addiction.
2) The luclin spires destroyed travel
This is the one that gets me the most. Why do EQ players consistently ignore the problems EQ had back then? There were a huge numbers of zones, a population that was increasingly bulky at the top, less and less new players coming into the game, so what do you think that all means? It means no druids and no wizards and no convenient groups. It's not rocket science. The reasoning for the spires and pok books is MTH 60.
3) The cat people don't belong in EQ lore
I actually think I agree with this one. Something never felt right about the cats. This feeling was the same for the GoD and OOW expansions and others. They added stuff and lore, but it didn't fit in very well. That was how it felt to me. Everything felt hands off (the game seemed to get harder and harder with mobs hitting like trucks and non-tanks getting softer) and alien, like Frodo and E.T in the same sentence. The game started out feeling like a conventional medieval kind of adventure in a tolkien-like world. I liked it. But it morphed into a crazy fantasy steampunk psychedelic cesspool. It also seems that, as they added expansions, the home-city feel got worse and worse. All we had was PoK. The game lost more and more substance until it felt like a vendor machine or a mall that you might go to that's filled with shoppers. It didn't feel like an adventure in another world. It felt like convenience for convenience sake with no regard for anything else except that alone. Robotic. And for the benefit of developers, not players. They were too lazy to make a world. Or they were incapable of doing it. So they dragged their feet and shat on norrath.

What did I think back then:
1) Higher poly models and zones
The graphics slow down was the most noticeable thing. I couldn't run all of the models and had to turn it down. I usually kept the models on for barbarians and a few others, but most of the time old models remained. For a long time the new models never much crossed my mind because I didn't have them turned on. My opinion nowadays is that the newer models are too muscular and even messed up - like the half elves. I remember the first time going to dawnshroud peaks the framerate was horrid. View distance too high.
2) I didn't go to luclin until later
Believe it or not, but I spent a lot of my time in other zones. I didn't like the graphics slow down and luclin was tough compared to velious or antonica zones. So any bad feelings I have about luclin came later. I do remember not liking it that players all went to kill the recondites in Paludal Caverns. That was one of my first exposures to mudflation in an overt, in your face kind of way. SOE got very blatant, and increasingly indifferent. That was around the time that I started to grow bitter about SOE and its mentality.

EQ in all its glory still reminds me of a house that's all dressed up (vainly) but nobody is in it or wnats to be in it. That's the feeling I get from it. This is especially true for EQ between 2004-2009(10). Only reason I played it then was because of friends I had. EQ, for the most part, had lost a lot of its magic and was only about getting more money and items and staying with friends. Simple loyalty. But I just got more bitter and angrier with time. It was miserable. EQ lost substance like an aging crack whore that has given up.

To be honest, the only thing that interests me right now about EQ are the houses they added in HoT. The rest of the game turns me off. EQ is too much like patchwork for me to love anymore. It's too old. It's an old man that has had so much plastic surgery that he's no human anymore. But owning a house in a fantasy world.... nothing beats that. But UO did it so much better. Why go to EQ, if I can go to UO player run?

Maybe EQ just got old. It lost its zoooom. It lost its purpose after that. Everything dies...

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 06-11-2011 at 11:16 AM..
Old 06-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Sarnak

Problem with AAs is this server has a limited population and thus thrives even more on alts to populate the level ranges than usual. AAs encourage people to make less alts by building up their main that much more.

Less alts means less people for actual newcomers to play with, which means more of them will get bored and leave which is no good.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Planar Protector

I agree on AAs - it added nothing but insane grind on top of the rest of the grind. And since there was no AA limit - you could get all of them, it was just a matter of GRIND TIME [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
AAs would make sense if they were limited - like out of 300 possible AAs you could have, you could only earn and spend 100 - this would at least give your char SOME customization choices.

On Luclin Spires - well you needed SOME way to go there, and Spires were a logical way UP. Of course having multiple spires all over the world, resulted in people going UP only to go DOWn in another part of the world. Which was bad, I agree. perhaps making just ONE spire connected to Luclin would be better - like giant spire in North Karana (west Antonika was always empty - this would add it some traffic)

On "alien" setting - Moon setting automatically means something non-earthy, so I was mostly OK with it, but I have to say that neitherian Aliens were TOO MUCH ALIEN.
And Rockhopper graphics were so ridiculously cartoonish it made me mad. The rest of it was more or less OK.

Paludal Caverns grind- well that not new - welcome to LOILO 2.0 - this is when everyone levels up in 1 zone started.

What really destroyed travel was PoK books - again there should have been only 1 way up and down from the planes hub, and it should have been limited to 46+ (I am fine with PoP expansion itself).
Closed Thread