Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 08-31-2023, 01:03 PM
Large Rat

Default Rogue as a main

Do rogues make a good class to main? I was wondering if the dependence on groups was a problem or not in the endgame. I prefer to group, but I've never played a class that couldn't solo in downtime.
Last edited by Revanx22; 08-31-2023 at 01:10 PM..
Old 08-31-2023, 01:24 PM
Sarnak

You could have a Rogue as a main, the main issues are:

- Can't get around without porters to help you.
- Pretty limited set of abilities.
- Can never really solo. You can do some pickpocketing or low level farms, maybe with insane gear do some more challenging things but overall, can't solo.

On the flipside. Almost always useful in a group. Even when there are other rogues. Always welcome in raids. Don't need to farm a lot of expensive items or spells. Epic is easy.

I'd say it makes for a pretty solid casual class for anyone who can make friends and group, especially if playing US prime time. The Eyepatch of Plunder is a bit of a pain to farm but most other items are accessible given either doing stuff like sebilis duo/grouping or raiding for BoE items and selling them. You could probably buy the entire pre-bis velious list of items for the price of 1 AoN. From there on you have to raid even more for progression only to get ... uh... sturdier...
Old 08-31-2023, 01:25 PM
Fire Giant

To main, as you in your first toon on server and such? I will say it will be tough, though p99 has a great community, and you might be able to hit up EC tunnel for some free gear. The issue with rogues is they are very gear dependent to solo with.

If its a new toon and you already have say a druid porter(or toon to farm with), that you can funnel money towards. Then your fine. I've done it, and seen plenty of twink rogues solo stuff(even high 40s via guards in feerrott).

They are truly a more group focused group, so expect to spend lots of time LFG. Sadly both blue and green lower lvls grouping is not easy to find, they do clearly happen aka Unrest, Oasis, crushbone etc. But a lot of dead zones.

Imo if its ur first and only toon, avoid it. Unless you have a for sure backer who's going to help twink you. Is it impossible? No, but your just setting yourself up to burn out via frustrations of not being able to solo.

Monk would be a much better choice if you want to melee and solo. Even without being twink, monks rock. Ikky monk natural regen can pretty much just solo naked to 50.
Mama Vinelsier Lepermesiah Server 1st 60 Grave Lord(And only The Grave Lord)//Resilak 50 Monk//Tenchi Masaki 50 Wizard//Jaskieer 48 Bard// Heeheehee Teeheehee 57 Mage// Belll Cranel 50 Monkdrackgon 54 rogue, Cuddlezzz 60 shaman
RIP<Gathered Might>
Old 08-31-2023, 01:41 PM
Fire Giant

If you have a moderate budget, you can easily solo a rogue 1-30+. 30-40 is a huge difficulty spike for rogue solo, because of how hard stuff starts to hit. I think regen is probably necessity for this, or at least will make it much less painful. Iksar regen is good, lower cost option to Fungi.

However, at around level 40, groups love rogues. Rogue means stuff dies quickly. The only downside, is that all the servers are past their prime and very top-heavy.. So there aren't too many options for grouping as a rogue. You're pretty much stuck in City of Mist and then Karnor's Castle or Velks from 40-60.

Rogue on raid is a blast. Wait for assist and murder. Evade every time Hide in on cooldown.
Old 08-31-2023, 03:56 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah you've got to stay in the high traffic spots to level. Even then it may be a frustrating experience.

People just don't group like they used to. If you can manage to get to 38/40 you should be ok between CoM and KC.

Look for bards and necros. They make decent duo partners. To a lesser extent SK and Paladin if they're twinked.

Ideal is shaman + tank + you.
Old 08-31-2023, 05:49 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revanx22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do rogues make a good class to main? I was wondering if the dependence on groups was a problem or not in the endgame. I prefer to group, but I've never played a class that couldn't solo in downtime.
At this point in the server population history, I wouldn't make a rogue my main unless I understood it's going to be a slow climb, and I wouldn't create a wood elf, gnome or dwarf rogue, unless you see a bunch of people regularly in CB, unrest, or MM. Stick with human, half elf, Barbie, or DE.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:24 PM
Planar Protector

Rogues are great in groups, great in raids, just great. They dont solo well without a lot of plat in gear or using poisons.

You only need one other person to make a "group". Rogue plus healer, rogue plus fear-kiter, etc.

Or log to your solo character when you dont have the time to group the rogue. Eventually you will prob want to do this anyway. You will spend a lot of time running and not grinding if not. Something like a necro or enchanter will make you a ton of plat to gear out the rogue to your liking.
Last edited by Snaggles; 08-31-2023 at 09:27 PM..
Old 09-01-2023, 09:49 AM
Planar Protector

Soloing a rogue right now at level 17. Just wearing leather at the moment and the +5 rings/earrings from Qeynos Aquaducts. Saved up and bought a Coldain Velium Spear and Coldain Velium Rapier. Will make banded when I get to a point where I can no longer keep up with soloing a mob that spawns every 6 minutes.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:51 PM
Fire Giant

Rogue is nice if you're 60 and raid a lot. It's a great way to earn DKP while having to contribute very little outside autoattacking. However, in every other situation, it's the worst possible class you can be more or less. Worst at soloing, worst at farming, bad at group DPS (esp. pre-epic), bad at duos, etc. Yes, if you're twinked you can almost do as much DPS as a mage or necro, but that's not OP.

That being said, it's got some great flavor and some people just love hard mode, but if that was you I don't think you'd be asking this question.

Level something that isn't a kick in the balls (despite being technically possible) and if you find yourself raiding 24/7, your guild mates will help you PL your rogue in no time.
Old 09-03-2023, 03:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
bad at group DPS (esp. pre-epic)
Damn, if you think rogues are bad at group dps I'd hate to hear what you think of anything else that's not an enchanter.