Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Large Rat

I understand why the original intentions of Sony for the exp penalty to be shared by the whole group. Friends who group together level at the same time. Makes sense to me if you play with the same people every time you play. How often does that happen? Some people do it. I play with my brother almost every time I play. Almost. And I don't play as often as he does, so he isn't playing with me every time he plays.

If this -feature- is intended to make friends who group all the time level at the same time, who really benefits? Seriously, how many people group with the same people every time? Maybe a poll could give us some insight in to this (I understand how unreliable the polls are, but could illuminate if this is really a relevant fix or not)
Last edited by Haynar; 07-02-2010 at 11:46 PM..
Old 07-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Large Rat

Italics kick ass!
Last edited by Haynar; 07-02-2010 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: Only if you do them right. Fixed the italics for you.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Planar Protector

A lot of things in EQ are inconvenient. Thats the beauty of EQ.

Besides, achieving level 50 as a troll sk now is a huge accomplishment.

In the end, all it means is that you grouped with some friends for an extra day or two. If you plan on playing this char for years to come, it essentiallymeans nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Large Rat

Haynar, your edits give me boners.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamSmasher22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haynar, your edits give me boners.
Easy there cowboy.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:21 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are nerfs I am for. There are nerfs I am against.

I do not have bias, because I do not play on the server. My decisions are not self serving. I am an ass. I don't care.

I did not nerf exp. I did not try to make it so noone wants to group with hybrids. The difference now, compared to classic, was in classic, people did not know they were getting screwed by grouping a hybrid. Now they do, which is not fair in my opinion. That puts certain classes at a bigger disadvantage. But I will make sure it is not totally out of balance with how classic was.

The classes that are at a disadvantage now, RNG, PAL, SK, for example ... will get more of my attention. So hopefully I can get things working better for those classes, so if they do want to solo, they can do it better.

I spend more time fixing bugs, or exploits, than making improvements lately.

This is my entertainment. Programming on the code, making it better, one line at a time.

Haynar
I think that would work for rangers. Bards... don't seem to compete with anyone for any one particular role they seem to be able to adapt themselves to do something no matter the group. Or some of them seem able to anyway.

Personally I think you guys ought to take the hybrid penalty away, and keep the same balance that was in place before level 50. If you do one very important thing I'll mention in a minute.

That is a lot more complicated statement than it seems. In this era, come Kunark warriors are on a different offensive and defensive table than the hybrid tanks. ie, if a warrior and paladin were the same level, and had the same weapon skill, a warrior would do more damage using the same weapon.

Conversely, with the same AC, with equal defense skill, equal dodge/parry/riposte a warrior takes less damage. I'm not referring to the max hit thing, where a warrior is one step below everyone else as that came later. They were on a different mitigation table, one that Pals and SK's were put on later.

You really aren't going to ever see this sort of comparison in a real game environment, because level plays a big role, and equal level warriors cap higher on most of the defensive skills, and have 5 defense more than the hybrid tanks.

The skill caps were a huge deal for the pals and sk's in kunark, because they were capped so much lower than the warriors, the class they compete with for group roles. Pal/SK melee was horrible for a long time (several expansions), and I don't remember when it was changed. Eventually their post 50 caps were significantly raised (though not as high as warriors) and they were put on the same mitigation table, though not the same offense table.

Rangers had the inverse problem. I think they were on the same damage table as warriors, but had a worse mitigation than sk's and pals. In addition they had a low defense cap, though I think some of the skills like dodge were higher than what sk's and pals got.

I have no idea how you guys have this working on this server now, or what you have planned for kunark.

If it was me doing this, I'd remove the xp penalty from all the hybrids. Raise skill caps for the hybrids so the knights can actually hit something, and Rangers aren't the butt of jokes. I would keep the 3 tiers of mitigation, and 3 tiers of offense (monks, rogues, and I think beasts were on the highest offense table).

Then I'd do something else. Fix warrior taunt, or give them a separate skill that actually does what it is supposed to. You know the taunt button is still broken on live last time I checked? I mean they have one and it can be clicked, but it really doesn't do much. They bellow and use anger augs and whatnot now.

Someone might make a comment about this trivializing encounters and raids. As soon as Kunark opens and someone gets a pair of jsticks warriors (at least raid warriors) aren't going to have any aggro problems at all.

At least till you nerf them sometime in Velious. Well, that is assuming of course that Tash has the same insane aggro it did in 1999 here.

Did I mention I don't think monks need a penalty either?
Old 07-03-2010, 02:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A lot of things in EQ are inconvenient. Thats the beauty of EQ.

Besides, achieving level 50 as a troll sk now is a huge accomplishment.
while this is true, what about those lvl50 sk-trolls that leveled before this change with their guises baged?
Old 07-03-2010, 02:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The classes that are at a disadvantage now, RNG, PAL, SK, for example ... will get more of my attention. So hopefully I can get things working better for those classes, so if they do want to solo, they can do it better.
you have good intentions but since we are 2 months late on PoA and i highly doubt that we will see kunark - let alone epics - this year if you continiue to "fix" stuff like this, i would srsly consider to revert exp penalties and focus on the important stuff
Old 07-03-2010, 02:26 AM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you have good intentions but since we are 2 months late on PoA and i highly doubt that we will see kunark - let alone epics - this year if you continiue to "fix" stuff like this, i would srsly consider to revert exp penalties and focus on the important stuff
1. Late on PoA?
2. Haynar doesn't develop content
3. None of these things are related
Old 07-03-2010, 05:29 AM
Large Bat

I'm a little sad about what this post has turned into.

I did not start this as a rant and flame. In fact, it was more of a question asking if anyone was seeing a change in experience because there were no patch notes.

It's great that everyone has an opinion about the group exp configuartion. However, the gms have explained that this was the classic implementation of the code. As much as it pains me to see my exp bar move slower, unless you have proof it was different I would ask that we don't continue to beat this topic up anymore.

At the end of the day, I appreciate the work that the developers have put into this server and hope that everyone can empathize with the position the developers have taken on this topic.

regards
Closed Thread