Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't care much about this but...

Bard AE kiting is AE kiting, not swarm kiting.
Aggro is aggro. Not Argo. Not threat.... It's aggro.
Faction is faction. Not reputation.

Get your filthy WoW terms away from my classic box.
And faction is faction, not fraction.

/Though I don't see that as much now, it annoyed the hell out of me on Live...
Old 09-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't care much about this but...

Bard AE kiting is AE kiting, not swarm kiting.
Aggro is aggro. Not Argo. Not threat.... It's aggro.
Faction is faction. Not reputation.

Get your filthy WoW terms away from my classic box.
Actually, I heard (saw?) the term "swarm kiting" on live pre-WoW on my server, but it was used to refer to what's now known as "charm kiting" in EQ.

Also, saw people say "argo" instead of aggro during that time. Though I agree, it should be 2 g's and the way vBulletin autocorrects it to say "agro" drives me bonkers. You are totally right about "threat" though, as I never heard it called that until WoW.

Ninja looting was always called ninja looting or ninja'ing where I grew up (kikou Karana!)
Old 09-18-2014, 05:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyelle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually, I heard (saw?) the term "swarm kiting" on live pre-WoW on my server, but it was used to refer to what's now known as "charm kiting" in EQ.
Yeah, I originally learned swarm kiting is when you charm one mob at a time in the group and the others beat it down. On this server it seems to mean kiting anything bigger than quadding. I now call using wands swarming. I blame others!

Myuharin <Force of Will> & Myuharin the Revenant
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth View Post
6 hybrids in one group.. i believe you may actually LOSE experience per kill.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:17 PM
Fire Giant

I vaguely recall plooting on live as someone who automatically loots anything and everything before others (rogues were notorious) but i never liked the sound of that word or maybe it was the spelling. either way i never picked it up.
ninja looters was totally different, it was someone in or out of group who would loot a rare then log
Old 09-19-2014, 05:11 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ninja looters was totally different, it was someone in or out of group who would loot a rare then log
On Lanys back in the day, "ninja looter" just referred to anyone looting shit as soon as it dropped. Usually this would be someone in group looting a no-drop before anyone even got a chance to roll, but could also be someone from outside the group coming by and snagging it because someone didn't have the corpse locked. With tradeable items, eventually the term "ML" came about (main looter) who was just someone who looted everything until the group finished clearing mobs then everyone would then roll and the ML would distribute. Then lastly, "NBG" which was actually pretty nice when an item would drop that was only usable by you, and also an upgrade...it was yours.

As far as "power looting"...not sure what game OP was playing, never heard of it in EQ and I was playing this 15 years ago.
Last edited by Tantrix; 09-19-2014 at 05:16 AM..
Old 09-19-2014, 09:16 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I vaguely recall plooting on live as someone who automatically loots anything and everything before others (rogues were notorious) but i never liked the sound of that word or maybe it was the spelling. either way i never picked it up.
This is the context in which I always heard them used.

Power looting refers to someone who quickly loots mobs when they die and tends to amass the sellables and plat w/o sharing.

Ninja looting is someone who takes a highly valued item and drops group/camps/DC's.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:20 AM
Fire Giant

Lol @ ele complaining about something that is classic.
Celent - 60 Sorcerer!
Stratah - 58 Troubadour!
Joan - 58 Knight!
Colin - 52 Rake!

Guild Leader of <Eclipse>
Old 09-19-2014, 09:33 AM
Sarnak

As a longtime gamer and MMO player, I've never heard the term 'power looting' before this individual thread.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Fire Giant

I had never heard the term Poopsock before recreating Lagaidh here on p99 and running to the Butcherblock docks for the first time.

A dead troll named Poopsock was at the end of the pier next to the dwarf NPC.

Now, I don't want to say I laughed too hard or too long at that level of joke, but the pot helped.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Sarnak

Ninja looting is classic. The original UI is fantastic on a 17" CRT. I don't think I could play with that these days.
Closed Thread