Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Large Bat

Default Mage solo strategy question

Hey all. I read the various magician guides and was wondering when I should start using fire pet and killing it once mob is low enough to finish with a single nuke? Im lvl 8 at the moment and it doesn't seem very mana efficent at this level. Is the fire pet focus item a prerequisite for this? If so any chance someone would be willing to help me get it if its needed? Thanks for your time.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:25 PM
Fire Giant

In my humble opinion (which could be wrong), I'd recommend a magician using the Water pet (focused if possible) from levels 4-24. The water pet is beefy (2nd to the Earth pet), hits hard, has the lame frost spell which has decent threat, and it taunts pretty well. Toss a flame shield on it, which will have a low duration, and attempt to kill a target rapidly and then pull and kill a 2nd before the shield duration ends.

The goal is to have the damage shield do an X % amount of neutral damage and your spell damage making up the difference to do more than what your pet inflicts. Since you want to sit and meditate a lot, the water pet is stellar in keeping an enemy focused on itself very early in the fight.

Side note - if you don't have your focus items, the water pet will do fine unfocused and at level 20, jam on into Najena carefully and kill the first magician dark elf at the half-portcullis hallway start, and work your way to kill more magicians / elementals back to the Crystal room, which holds 3 Magicians inside. You can either pull with a Cancel Magic or a level 1 nuke for minimal threat to single out a target to run it to where you want the fight to go down. The Earth pet's root isn't needed for this dungeon if you pull the target back a bit for where you want it to die - the water pet will do fine.

Magicians drop Elemental pages (epic quest) and the drops for the focus items. You can go from 20 to 26 in there comfortably with the zone's huge experience modifier while getting the focus items. At level 24 you can decide if chain pet casting as described elsewhere on this forum will be a faster way for you to level. The method I listed above will match a Necromancer for kill speed up to 20, so I figure that's fast enough as it stands.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:24 PM
Large Bat

Thanks for the really solid advice.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:09 AM
Fire Giant

I beg to differ. Especially in the first levels the fire pet is superior to water while soloing. You don't need to use mana for its damage shield + the damage shield is much bigger than what you can cast yourself. It's probably the main damage source, resulting in faster kills. You need to be aware though that the fire pet is not as sturdy as the water pet, so depending on what you want to kill, NegaStoats advice can still apply, just not in the general case.

The best solution for avoiding xp loss due to pet is to just DUO. Even if the other person is contributing absolutely nothing you still get the same xp as if you are soloing without killing pets all the time. Any partner contribution is adding to your xp.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:24 AM
Sarnak

Get with me ingame today and can give u pet foci items like torch,shovel at least. Can grab the gems then last pieces to finish it off. Also can hook u up wit ok robe if not got one. Retllon's the name
Old 03-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Aviak

The focus item quest can only be done Level 33+.? At least wiki says...?
Old 03-24-2017, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I beg to differ. Especially in the first levels the fire pet is superior to water while soloing.
I'm not sure you're remembering the early levels properly: I have a low level mage and the fire pet is terrible. It rarely even survives until the end of a single fight (and low levels should not have to chain cast pets to kill a single mob).

I've been using the earth pet, but based on NegaStoat I think I'm going to try the water pet next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The best solution for avoiding xp loss due to pet is to just DUO.
Excellent suggestion. Far too few pet classes utilize this, but it makes a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettsack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The focus item quest can only be done Level 33+.? At least wiki says...?
The wiki is wrong (someone should edit it!). I did all of the focus items on my very low (I forget what he was at the time, 9 maybe?) mage.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 03-24-2017 at 01:24 PM..
Old 03-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Fire Giant

The magician focus item quests in Ro Temple can be done as low as 4 for certain. I didn't bother trying at level 1 because there's no pet to summon, but I will confirm that you can obtain them at 4 without any faction work as a fresh character.

The focus items will work on the level 4-49 pets. Check the combat scroll for " Item X glows " when you summon the right pet.

I tried to make the fire pet work on P1999 at low levels but its health is absolute trash and it's internal Attack characteristic 'feels' the weakest from looking at the damage scroll (talking about fire pets lvl 4, 8, & 12) and comparing to other pets. Maybe you can get it to work - I didn't bother after my testing.

The Earth pet does an absolutely fine job but I prefer to watch a mob do its death walk away from me at low health without being interrupted by a Root, which then forces the mob to stand and fight (and deliver more damage to my pet). I couldn't think of a single reason why I'd ever want to use the Earth pet for camping a site outdoors over the Water pet, at least pre level 24.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:22 PM
Planar Protector

From lvl 4 to 49, I did my best to keep my research up to speed or purchase every water pet.

I had all focus items, and your best bet for xp is find a necro or mage (pet class) to group with and let your pets wreck everything while your small group gets 100%xp split.

Water pet + DS and BO when you get it is absolutely the best way to go.

At 50 to 56 you should use MS2. Simply put that pet is OP! No, it doesn't root, no it doesn't nuke, but it hits really good (max level pet) and has the same amount of HP as the 57 earth pet. Throw BO3/4, muzzle and DS on it and kick back to watch the show. Again, group to get full xp benefit.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:27 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoink1986 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Get with me ingame today and can give u pet foci items like torch,shovel at least. Can grab the gems then last pieces to finish it off. Also can hook u up wit ok robe if not got one. Retllon's the name
Whats your characters name? Mine is Vangaal.
Closed Thread