Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to toddfx
Default Critical P99 changes to DirectX causing problems?

Back when I created my 3D Fan Art, I was able to get models from the game by using an application called 3D Ripper DX. It monitors DirectX streams and allows you to "capture" the 3D geometry, dumping it to a file for use with 3D modeling applications.

However, today it seems like something is keeping the software from working on P99. I know the P99 patch includes a custom DirectX file: dsetup.dll, so I am just curious if something new has been implemented in the last year that could potentially cause problems like this. Are any changes being made to this file that might inhibit something like this 3D ripping software?

I understand this software is beyond your support umbrella, but I'm curious what has changed to suddenly keep this from working. I tried it on two different computers, both with v22 changes. No luck. But less than a year ago, it worked fine on both machines with P99 (and the software has not been updated or touched since). I don't have a clean/original install of EQ to test it on. For all I know, it might be something else on my end, but while I troubleshoot I figured a quick question here couldn't hurt.

Thanks guys, I hope to get this working again so I can create some more 3D EQ fan art.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Sarnak

Confirmed that there is something in the P99 version of dsetup.dll that is either unstable or perhaps purposefully shutting out DirectX hooks.

I understand if it is on purpose, but I am just curious what other types of DirectX related programs it would be purposefully shutting out. There have been other dsetup.dll anomalies mentioned here (i.e. making P99 incompatible with some operating systems and older DirectX versions even though Titanium it's self supports them) and I am just curious what the purpose is of a customized DirectX file is here. What changes/improvements have been made to it exactly?

3D Ripper DX crashes every time I try to launch EQ with the P99-specific one is installed, but if I revert to a vanilla version of the file (such as the one from dll-files.com) it works just fine.

I'm using 3D Ripper DX to capture models like these Karana village buildings to use in my Norrath map fan art project. To capture the geometry, you have to be literally physically standing in front of it in the game. I used to be able to port around on my P99 druid and gather assets pretty easily.

With the vanilla version, P99 gives me the "missing spell file" error but am able to get into the EZ Server and run 3D Ripper DX just fine.

So do I really have to hoof around Norrath as a level 1 warrior using this fugly bloke on the EZ Server!?
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by toddfx; 09-12-2012 at 10:59 AM..
Old 09-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Planar Protector

I know that dsetup.dll is utilized for the anti-cheat (showEQ, MQ, WinEQ) code for P99.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:53 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dsetup.dll is indeed purposefully preventing it. As part of it's anti-cheat/hack system it will not allow other programs to latch on to any part of the process. It's not DirectX specific (We just use a DirectX file as the injector).

Is this something that you need to log into P99 to accomplish? If not, you can remove the dsetup.dll from your directory and log into any other server, such as PEQ.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 09-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Planar Protector

Looks like he has Threedeeripper the sexy beast on EZ server to do the work.

You know you can get a teleport, like, anywhere from some NPC in that one hut in Surefall Glade, toddfx? That should save you alot of hoofing time. And there's some item that tp's you back to SF too.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Sarnak

Cool thanks a lot for the insight guys, I appreciate it.

I'll be able to make-do on the EZ server or something. Might be a fun extra challenge running around level 1; been a while since I've done that (other than that gnome race the other day which wasn't long enough and 90% of time spent on the boat/dock). Although who knows what kind of pathetic stats the mobs have on that server. Thanks for the porting tips too, Raavak.

On a similar note though, it is a bummer I won't be able to run P99 on my Win98 retro gaming rig. If there is anything that can be done about getting a DX9 compatible version Rogean, please let me know [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by toddfx; 09-12-2012 at 01:25 PM..