Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Aviak

Give this a try.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=227689
Old 12-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Skeleton

gave that a shot, and it appeared to throttle the cpu, but it wasn't very consistent, and it actually caused my computer to BSOD due to allowing me to undervolt too low. I fixed it though. I stumbled on this when I was troubleshooting, and it feels safer because it doesn't allow me to undervolt to the point of instant BSOD:

RightMark CPU Clock Utility

Either way, I could not get the CPU to reliably NOT throttle. it did allow me to set some standards though, at least it appears that way. I still have the slow moving thing unless I'm running another EQ instance in the background.

RMCPUClock shows cpu speed in my system tray, and I noticed that my core 2 duo is running at 1.67ghz with just one EQ instance...when I launch 2, it shoots up to 2.79ghz.

so I'm not sure if I'm not using RMclock right, or if maybe throttlestop would be more effective at this point I'm not sure.

basically I'm still having trouble turning throttling off entirely, and ramping up my cpu and keeping there.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Skeleton

ok, the problem is solved, at least for me. I found the answer in the dual/multi core sticky in a post made earlier this month.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...?t=3609&page=9

run msconfig, go to boot tab, click advanced, set /NUMPROC= 1, reboot.

this makes perfect sense, and I wish I would have read the entirety of that thread beyond the bind affinity thing. I read elsewhere that the core 2 duo's will not throttle up unless both cores have a significant load. this way, you're forcing windows to operate with one core. problem solved. this is apparently the best way to solve this problem running bootcamp on a macbook pro, since we don't have the option of disabling speedstep.

wanted to post this here so anyone now or in the future who does a search for the slow motion movement problem (as I did) can find an answer.
Last edited by odinwise; 12-29-2010 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Banned

Or you could have read the 4th post in this thread and got the exact same answer a hell of a lot sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know you said that you've set your affinity but maybe you should try something else to make absolutely sure it's not the problem, since the issue you're describing is pretty much exactly what happens with the dual/quad core processor issues. To completely eliminate this variable from being the problem you should run an msconfig, and on the second tab you can set how many processors you want your OS to use. Set that to 1, reboot, try again and see if it's still happening.
Glad you got it working though.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or you could have read the 4th post in this thread and got the exact same answer a hell of a lot sooner.

Glad you got it working though.
ah yes, you're right. I actually remember reading that post now that you mention it, but not really understanding it once I was in msconfig. I suppose since it's something I haven't actually messed with before, "number of processors" didn't translate as "/numproc=", which in retrospect makes me feel a little stupid. haha. now I'm that guy. /facepalm

anyway, thanks for the help.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:00 AM
Large Rat

Yes we had that issue running slowly at random. We tried several different things before using the MSconfig and set to 1 processor and that did correct the issue.