Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Banned

well how did he do this speedstep thing? I'm having the same issue on my laptop.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Banned

Is what you are reffering to is the same as a laptops "power plan".
Old 11-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Orc

I believe so. He went into the BIOS and just turned it off. When you are booting up, looking for the instructions to go into BIOS (or possibly 'setup) should f9 or something similar. Then, just look around for speedstep and disable it.

He had this problem for over a week, and it was really making him unable to pull for us, as he'd take way more damage. *I* was getting frustrated for him, was trying to research the problem all the time, nothing seemed to work. When he fixed it, he said it felt like he had SoW all the time, and actual SoW was turbo mode. We all rejoiced.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:09 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Some great new info here. I'll try all of this. Frankly I started to give up because nothing was working! I'll check back after trying this stuff.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Sarnak

Omg could never get my dualcore to work despite setting affinity and went and checked that CPU throttling option under power settings. 5%-100% when plugged in? wtf? changed that
Old 12-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Skeleton

hey everyone. I've been troubleshooting this "slow movement" problem since yesterday, and I've been all over this forum reading everything and even searching through mac forums for a CPU throttling fix while running bootcamp. it seems there really isn't one.

I'm running a macbook pro 15,3 15in dualcore with 10.6.5 snow leopard and windows xp sp2 on bootcamp. I had the usual problems mac users have had (as well as multi-core users). changing the affinity worked well for me to keep the game stable, as well as turning my fps down to 60. the only problem that remained was the "slow movement" problem.

honestly, the only thing that fixes it is running EQ through parallels. it runs great as long as I full screen it (alt+cmd+enter) in order to read the text. and the slow moving problem is gone. there's only one problem that remains. parallels makes windows TOO DARK! it's impossible to play EQ as a new dark elf due to how dark it is.

any other mac/parallels users have this problem and know of a good fix? I only found what I consider a temporary fix, which was to create a new color profile and boost the Gamma WAY too high. This makes EQ look like normal in Parallels, but makes everything mac side look completely washed out.

wanted to post this for any other mac users who might be having problems, and would love some advice on the gamma problem in parallels.

edit: also wanted to add that the fixes people have been posting for throttling the CPU is NON effective, at least on my machine. in bootcamp there is NO option to change CPU speeds, but there is an option to change power settings by profile. this did not help me in the slightest, even setting everything to "always on" did not change anything. just wanted to add this info for people who might redundantly try to suggest it.
Last edited by odinwise; 12-19-2010 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: additional info
Old 12-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinwise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
edit: also wanted to add that the fixes people have been posting for throttling the CPU is NON effective, at least on my machine. in bootcamp there is NO option to change CPU speeds, but there is an option to change power settings by profile. this did not help me in the slightest, even setting everything to "always on" did not change anything. just wanted to add this info for people who might redundantly try to suggest it.
I'm sure that you could throttle your CPU by using something like CPU-Z or Speedfan.

I'm also curious what "the usual problems mac users have had (as well as multi-core users)" means because the only issue I've ever had is the dual-core issue causing me to run slow, and that was a very easy fix.
Last edited by Mcbard; 12-19-2010 at 03:18 PM..
Old 12-19-2010, 11:40 PM
Skeleton

thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to see how they work on the bootcamp side.

what I meant by the usual problems for mac users is really just what I saw most commonly occuring with mac users when perusing the forums, particularly those using bootcamp. namely, just what you said. the processor affinity. doing that helped make eq stable for me. eq no longer had jittery characters or fast motion, etc. changing the fps helped a lot too with mouselook. that's what I meant by "the usual problems" as it seemed like a lot of people had issues with those things.

as for me, I've tried other suggestions that have worked for some people, like using eqwin, turning off complex skies, changing the power settings, enabling and disabling eqplaynice. I basically tried anything I found reading through the forums and elsewhere. I still have the slow moving thing when I play through bootcamp.

parallels is the only way to have no problems other than the gamma being too low. (before anyone asks, I did try changing the gamma in game with the slider and it doesn't do anything in parallels). any suggestions for this would be extremely helpful. it's actually kind of nice to play EQ while multitasking with my mac applications.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Skeleton

hey, wanted to post an update.

I tried cpu-z and speedfan. the former appears to just give me information, but not allow me to adjust anything. speedfan looks like it has the ability to adjust fan speeds and cpu throttling, but it will not allow me to using bootcamp. presently I'm doing some serious web digging to find an answer to this problem.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Skeleton

here's another update: being unable to disable the throttling of my cpu, I have found a work around. the slow moving problem is gone if I have another game or two running in the background to keep the CPU up. this is obviously not ideal, but it works for now. anyone else still having this problem should give it a try.