Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 03:53 AM
Orc

Very nice.. great job. Would love to see Naggy or Vox redone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Fire Giant

I'm gonna guess this is never going to get updated again [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Blue
: Seniksin | Jarshale
Red: Sieg | Cazissa
Old 07-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Orc

Wow, amazing pictures. Well done!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Sarnak

I loved these the first time I saw them. I wish he'd post more!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Kobold

i would like to see a OT pic around the statue
Old 07-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to toddfx

Sorry to keep you guys hanging! I am surprised it has been over 1.5 years since I created these...time flies. I do agree it is about time for some new ones.

To do correctly though, they can take 12+ hours a piece. It's difficult to devote that kind of time to something unless you are motivated from the heart. A lot of my drive to create these images was taken care of by creating the initial batch, so it can be difficult to dive back into something that you already feel satisfied about. I tend to jump around a lot as an artist, moving on to something new once my vision/drive has been satisfied. I've side tracked myself with other Everquest related projects:

Since i've created these, I have also created an Everquest: Battle of The Bands video, and then spent a couple months collecting all the brews & spirits in the game and conducting a role-play style blog about brewing in Norrath.

Now, as of the past week or two, i'm actually working on another EQ related project. I am in the early stages of creating a 3D map of Norrath. It's sort of half relief style, half diorama style. I've had a hard time finding good reference for what I have in mind, but it will be based primarily on the original Norrath map supplied with the game. It will be much more detailed down to the level of druid rings, inns, and other prominent landmarks of the land. The zones will feel more logically connected than they do in that map though, a little more like what you experience in-game.

I'm going to be away from home for the next couple of weeks, but once I return you can hopefully expect to see a new thread about my new Map project. If that falls through or I have a change of heart, maybe I can get back into this groove and create a few more of these kind of images. However I have started actually playing EQ again too so I'll have to weigh my time... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Kobold

Just a quick bump so that more folks can find and enjoy the creations of toddfx.

Keep up the great work!
Old 12-20-2012, 03:10 AM
Sarnak

Welp, since this is bumped (thanks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]) and since I have been leaving you guys hanging for so long, I suppose I should post some screenshots of what I have been working on for the last 4 months or so:

I'm building Norrath. All of it.

Hope you guys have a good internet connection:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm sculpting all the terrain using Autodesk Mudbox

And am texturing the terrain using Photoshop and 3D Studio Max.
Notice: For your comparison sake, here is a link to the original Norrath map: [link]

Here are a few look development frames, which I also did in 3DS Max, using VRay to render and Fusion to composite. The buildings are pulled straight from the game.
Last edited by toddfx; 12-20-2012 at 04:18 AM..
Old 12-20-2012, 03:11 AM
Sarnak

And here are some more screenshots of the raw terrain and other work in progress images. Remember, the images above will be closer to final quality, these images below are just some work in progress shots of my 3D geometry.

Odus, still working in Mudbox:

Faydwer:

Rough layout of some trees and a bunch of objects (all objects pulled from the game)

A shot of my (compact) Qeynos. The fun of this project is that I get to put on so many hats: cartographer, city planner, castle builder etc...
Even though I am basing these cities off of the game, I am creating my own mini-versions of them (read my FAQ image above for more info on what I mean by that).
That is a fun and also tricky task because I need to capture their essence as we know them in the game, while ALSO trying to make them logical and practical in a real-world sense.
I want these mini-cities to appear realistically designed from a medieval city-building perspective, since this project will hopefully be seen by many more than just EQ fans!

Felwithe: (again, this is a compact/minimized version of the city, read my FAQ above)

And finally, one of my favorite details, a logical interpretation of the EK ramp:

Anyway, that is a lot more than I had planned on sharing, but hope you guys like the progress. Like I said, it has a LONG LONG way to go. The final product will be in video format, and will likely be about 1 - 1.5 minutes long, composed of slow camera pans over the landscape.
Last edited by toddfx; 12-20-2012 at 04:11 AM..
Old 12-20-2012, 03:48 AM
Sarnak

Oh and here's a couple more showing the amount of crap i've collected so far working on this project!

Some of my texture swatches:

And all of the items i've captured from the game, individually:

I'm retrieving 3D models such as buildings and other man-made structures straight from the game in order to make it appear that much more authentic in the end. Capturing screenshots and 3D data requires actually being at those locations in the game. During this project, I have visited every zone several times, on foot, to gather data. P99 blocks the program I am using to capture some of the buildings 3D geometry ("3D Ripped DX"), so I am forced to use EZ Server where I play as a level 3 warrior, running on foot between all of these zones one by one [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Only died a few times, but the adventure is all part of the fun! Wouldn't be classic EQ without it.

P.S. No plans to do Kunark or Velious.
Last edited by toddfx; 12-20-2012 at 03:54 AM..
Closed Thread