Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 04:11 AM
Banned

i love you and kel being men about it

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-23-2011, 04:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In all seriousness caring about the resists is pretty dumb! At the end of the day we will all have to play with the same system. What i mean to say is regardless of the resist system the players who are better than average are still going to come out on top.
Or whatever classes the system benefits the most. On VZTZ, the #1 ganking class was wizard by far. Just sneak up on someone, ice comet, stun, ice comet, instant death, no talent whatsoever required lol.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:28 AM
Sarnak

The spells shouldn't be landing that often at all. The screenshots in the OP show a success rate of nearly 50% against 140 MR. Only root was tested, and since it breaks quickly even when it lands, it's judged to be fine. Root is the only CC spell with a variable duration. If he'd tested snare, for instance, he'd find that he'd have been able to keep himself snared permanently for 20 minutes with that resist rate since snare doesn't get constant resist checks to see if it breaks early. Same with stuns and mez.

100 MR should mean any of these spells have such a low chance to land that you generally don't have to worry about them. They might land now and then, but that's what you have pumice for, or that's when you deserve to die. Anything considerably above 100 MR should make you virtually immune to these effects save for the inherent x% chance any spell has of landing. This is not merely how it "should be" in order to ensure quality PvP but also how it was at the time.

Melees don't need to be completely immune to CC in order to PvP, they just need it to be so that they resist them the significant majority of the time. With a 50% resist rate, it's only root that you don't have to worry about. Anyone can snare-kite you until you die or keep you mezzed infinitely. 140 MR is what most classes cap out at unbuffed (warriors can get 25 more by default and melees tend to get 20ish more than casters due to access to more resist gear). Most people will have around 100-120ish unbuffed with good gear because squeezing out every last drop of MR means sacrificing everything else, from FR/CR to AC, hp and mana.

It was plenty possible to PvP in mostly your planar set and then key resist pieces like bloodstained mantle, tranix crown and JC rings/bracelets/neck. You won't have insane resists that way, but you'll have the benefit of wearing actual gear for decent AC or mana pool. With the resist rate of the OP screenshots, you'd have to ditch everything else and scrape up every last point of MR in order to do well - we're looking at a wizard in pretty much the best PvP gear and he has 140 MR (presumably with his shielding buff that adds like 25) and his own root is landing almost half the time.

Two notes, though:

- Are we absolutely sure that spells cast on yourself are accurately reflecting the resists you'd see on a different target? People always said it wasn't the same, that casting on yourself gave odd results. Dunno if that's the case, but I wish people would do their tests with other players just to check.

- I don't remember root always breaking that early when it did land. When you got rooted with high MR, it'd usually last a full tick or so before breaking early. It's pretty consistently 0.1 seconds in that test, and that looks a bit weird to me. Early root breaks should work pretty much like partial resists, shaving off a varying percentage of the damage (duration) but rarely landing for less than 20-30% when it actually did land against a high resist. From my recollection, partial nukes would usually do approximately a quarter, half or three quarters damage and roots would be similar with regard to their duration. 0.1 sec breaks happened, but they'd just as often last 5-10 seconds on the rare occasion that they did land.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:21 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
- Are we absolutely sure that spells cast on yourself are accurately reflecting the resists you'd see on a different target? People always said it wasn't the same, that casting on yourself gave odd results. Dunno if that's the case, but I wish people would do their tests with other players just to check.
It's exactly the same results on someone else with CC spells. Nukes and different though since you hit yourself for full damage.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Fire Giant

I'ma log on and try stuns and snares today and see wassup. Probably with around 100-120 MR.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Banned

spells cast on yourself dont reflect spells on a nother person they never did

resist system is currently not how it was , they made it lean toward melee to encourage people to make them and not die to casters in 5 seconds

its a better way of doing it , be happy , and tell the devs

delete it and roll it , fix faction on the fly

and stop crying on this forum , btw lovely found another pic of you

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 10-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Sarnak

How does it encourage melee if CC spells landing nearly 50% of the time with high MR?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned

cause on classic they landed EVERYTIME unless you had shit tons of MR

and nukes were FULL DMG on classic , yea thats right full

and if you think your going to resist nukes lol

trust me it favors melee
Old 10-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Sarnak

What? Do you use a random text generator for your posts?
Closed Thread