Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:43 AM
Planar Protector

Leveling a wizard solo is a chore, but it and mage are the easiest to PL via bard - I was getting 2ish levels per pull in OT through the 30s.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 11-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Banned

Wizard is fun but specialized. I chose it because of its AFK time. I'm usually playing while working/doing schoolwork or just doing other stuff on the computer. Works with my schedule big time.

Besides, ports are really handy. I feel like most people downplay how handy it is. I can, in the time span of 10 minutes, check 5 different named spawns in 4 different zones on 4 continents. Great for making a steady flow of plat. Might not be as much volume or speed as a chanter/cleric/shaman/rogue hitting up Sebilis or HS but it pays for my peridots and opals.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:23 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via ICQ to Uuruk Send a message via AIM to Uuruk Send a message via MSN to Uuruk Send a message via Yahoo to Uuruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeallunRumblebelly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agreed on number 3. Leveling a wizard is pure torture. Wizards are the class you power level after you already have other 60s. I can bang out a wiz 1 to 60 in a week or so with casual chardoking 45 plus.
Not classic.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Fire Giant

Wizard is as fun as you make it out to be. If you are a total beginner at EQ you won't be able to play it to full potential. You also cannot post up LFG - you have to make your own friends and groups. I never have sat and posted up LFG on Wiz, yet have spent more time in dungeons than most.

Wizard is actually quite powerful while leveling and you don't have to quad the entire time, which is very painful. Solist's Icy Wand is nice if you can get your hands on one, and at level 29 when you can snare, stun, and evac you become a huge help in 30s and 40s dungeons where casters and running mobs quickly become a nightmare. The Thunder Strike line of interrupt spells is also great the entire time - not only is it powerful, but it also knocks out caster spells - which seem to give people a harder time in their 30s than they do in their 50s. Some of these spells have knockback - be careful not to push the mobs off the edge at the Castle Entrance of Mistmoore into the pit below :P

The Flux Staff is an incredible insta-clicky that is quite powerful. Sadly, with the Chardok AOE phenomenon, there are Wizards who hit 60 who don't even complete the quest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] There are also 60 Wizards who never gear or use the great Kunark drop spells such as Draught of Jiva the level 55 interrupt nuke.

A Wizard without epic rune can pull the planes of Hate and Fear just fine, and in fact just as effectively as classes that can FD. Flux Staff is also very helpful in assisting FD pulls/tags if necessary. A high-level Wizard can also agro, stun, and Fetter CC Planar mobs perfectly fine, providing lots of help for the caster classes who are mezzing/healing/dealing with charmed pets. At the same time, on a small raid of 12 or less where mob push isn't reliable, the Wizard is instrumental in keeping mobs from gating, either with spell interrupts or DPS (Sunstrike on a gating Spite Golem in particular)

Additionally, a Wizard can safely pull a Hole dungeon crawl all the way from the drop off to the undead tower. A Hole dungeon crawl moves the XP bar nicely and results in some nice drops, however nobody is going to invite you to do it. You have to get the crew together and make it happen. People will say "oh well x class can do this better, y class can do this or that" but the issue is - nobody goes to the Hole because you need a port to get there, and its dangerous to wipe deep inside. If it weren't for you the group wouldn't happen at all, and if you're good you will be an important part of keeping everybody alive and keeping the bar moving along nicely. Wizard is also great in Seb where nearly every single mob is a caster, and also nice in HS, being good at pulls/tagging and providing Fetter CC somewhere where the majority of the mobs are melee.

My Wizard is never AFK in group because if you are reacting to the environment and mob behavior you quickly realize that there's way more you can do than just sit around and wait for enough mana for the next nuke. My Wizard keeps charm classes alive by being on the ball with stunning charm breaks, keeps the flow moving by taking initiative to keep the chain pull going while the melees are beating on a nearly dead snared mob (the Wizard also eats caster spells instead of the tank on the way to camp, but this is mitigated by stuns and resist gear), and he also saves the group a ton of mana by knocking out virtually all of the nasty spells that get cast - which in turn creates a situation where Superior Heal is completely adequate to keep the group going. PS when's the last time you saw a Cleric cast a stun on a broken pet charm???

The issue is is that everybody assumes everybody is going to play any class to the best of the class's ability. Yes there are other classes that can mitigate caster threat, but do they? No. Can a random half-AFK cleric who only casts CH (and doesn't do any quick heals, doesn't cast a single root, doesn't cast a single stun on a pet break) let the tank die, causing a wipe a 30 minute-plus stop in XP bar movement? Yes. Does this happen more often than not? Yes. Does this often result in the breakup of a group which results in even more time not moving the XP bar? Yes. Is this lack of bar movement worse than moving the bar with someone in the group that doesn't have the same damage output as a Rogue? Yes. Do I need to continue? No.

Wizard is the only class where people assume it is going to be played as BADLY as possible, for which I do not blame anybody. What can you expect from someone who rolled a class with the expressed intent of taking advantage of AFK time.

I have lots of fun on Wizard, mainly because I make it fun. I managed to get to 60 with the majority of bar movement from dungeons, and made lots of great friends and have spent a lot of time deep in every dungeon in Norrath, getting lots of nice gear on the way. The people I play with don't complain about playing with me because I know whats going on, pull my own weight, and contribute very nicely. Good contributions from a Wizard make lots of fun/odd class combinations possible and effective.

Is a Wizard going to be fun if you post up LFG all the time and nobody invites you and you get harassed the whole because you're AFK all the time and do nothing besides nuke? No.

You didn't make a mistake rolling Wizard, just expect to have a tough time moving the XP bar if you don't take initiative, and also expect to take a lot of shit from everybody else along the way. Thick skin isn't a bad thing to have when you're dealing with a bunch of neckbeards, anyways :P
Old 11-05-2014, 02:56 PM
Fire Giant

Wizard was my main on live and was good times, fun for maximizing dps on raid bosses, etc. But in this era in a typical grind group of tank and spank, you are a burden and any other class will probably outdps you over time as well as do other things/buff.
I haven't had anyone confirm here but concussion is actually a great spell. On live, since the way the code worked on spells ( a resisted spell = same agro as a hit spell) a resisted concussion still lowered agro. I was usually always top dps on raid mobs as my wizard (nuke, clicky, nuke, clicky, concussion, etc etc.

On that note if anyone with a wiz could test this it would be awesome to find out for sure:

Need 1 mob with high MR but doesn't hit too crazy hard. Have tank pull it (but not do anything else) so he has agro. Cast flux staff slowly just until you pull agro. Then cast resisted concussion and if mob turns back to tank it does work on resist.

Any ideas on what mob will work for this? Black Dire? anything else that will resist but doesn't hit hard?
Old 11-05-2014, 02:58 PM
Banned

ITT people who play wizards, write posts worthy of RP tomes for actual wizards. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Kobold

Concussion does work when resisted.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Fire Giant

Oh yeah concussion - that's another one that the Chardok AOE crew misses out on :-( works when resisted
Old 11-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Fire Giant

Glad to hear it does on p99 since it was key on live. Surprised how many p99 wizzies don't even have the spell let alone know it works when resisted.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faiding [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Concussion does work when resisted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuljin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh yeah concussion - that's another one that the Chardok AOE crew misses out on :-( works when resisted
Do you guys have evidence for this? I've heard that it doesn't work when resisted. It's easy to confuse these two situations: 1) you not causing additional aggro by wasting a few seconds casting Concussion and having it resisted, so when you nuke afterwards and don't pull aggro it seems like Concussion worked, and 2) Concussion actually working on a resist. Has anyone tested it on this server as mentioned above?
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Closed Thread