Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 08:56 AM
Large Bat

Default Worth camping Goblin Gaz Ring?

Greetings all! After not having played EQ since the Kunark era, I decided to fire up an account on P1999. I'm now the proud owner of a level 19 Enchanter and getting back into the swing of things. I've already met a lot of nice people along the way.

Anyway, I've heard of this ring that allows you to break charm with a click, which I can tell would be VERY helpful. Right now I'm soloing in EK and breaking it manually by casting invis. But with the long cast time, sometimes I wait too long, sometimes I time it too early so that one spell can't finish off the mobs, etc. Plus I'm spending a lot of time swapping out spells and all that.

Is it worth it to try to camp this ring? How bad of a camp is it? I saw it selling for 7k, so I assume it's a pretty long camp. I already don't have any plat, so I don't think I'd be able to buy it before I'm really high level. Right now I don't have gear in most of my slots, so that would take priority in spending plat anyway.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:31 PM
Fire Giant

I'd wait till 30 or so to camp it yourself, just to make it easy as there are a lot of wandering adds. But like anything in EQ, it's all about the RNG and a little bit of luck.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:40 PM
Planar Protector

No, just buy it. I've seen people spend days camping it and not getting it. You can farm the plat faster in my opinion.
Of course you could get it first kill. That's how rng works, but the chance is low.

Search the forums on the subject. It's been discussed before.

---
As far as it being a good enchanter item. Yes but not required to level to 60 by any means. I know many enchanters who never bought it till they were 60 and established.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:23 PM
Fire Giant

If you want to camp it be prepared for a long haul and you want to be high enough level where you can scout and waste the PHs super easily + kill the static spawns and any adds that jump you.

I got SUPER LUCKY and got mine in 30 minutes after killing PHs. The 4th courier spawn dropped it. I've heard of people spending a full week worth of combined 20+ hours killing PH's every 30seconds without getting the ring.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:32 PM
Fire Giant

I believe it took me around 4 hours when I finally got around to focusing effort on the camp. You have to be paying attention at all times since gobs will KS couriers seconds after they spawn and start wandering (the wander right away). That is why it helps tremendously to be in the 30s. This also allows you to keep the surrounding gobby spawns down for the most part.

I think I was level 34. Summon your animation, give it a torch and run around tagging or casting tash on PHs/mobs you want to clear. Tougher mobs you can root while animation catches up on the killing.

It's not a tough camp, but it is one of the more annoying low level camps for sure. RNG is harsh in LOIO. Despite the 7K price tag, it generally is not worth it as a source of income. If you do get one, it sure as hell beats the casting time/spell-swapping of Invis/IVU and the 50%ish chance of Hide working (if DE).

If the 2-spawn of courier PHs is camped (which is most of the time), there are other PHs, but tracking down the correct PHs after they have initially wandered off can be challenging.

GL!
Old 08-17-2017, 05:34 PM
Sarnak

You can also use Cancel Magic to release the pet. Casts a bit faster than Invis.
If that's not enough (pet buffed itself before), you will have to wait for lvl 24 for Strip Enchantments.
Advantage being you already have the pet targeted and can stun/mez/root/whatever it quickly.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:45 PM
Fire Giant

I would have to say from level 20-30 is when I did my most charming and I never had a problem by breaking charm just by clicking Hide. If it didn't work at first, wait a few seconds and do it again and second time around, it will break the charm.

What you can also do is farm the camp for the ring while saving platinum. See what comes first, the ring or 7K to buy the ring...
Old 08-17-2017, 08:26 PM
Sarnak

Like everyone is saying, it's basically luck.

There are 2 spawns about 30 feet apart that spawn every 30 seconds or so. There's a bunch of different placeholder models that can spawn as well as the courier itself which drops it. The drop itself is rare.

I've had strings of dozens of courier spawns with no ring and that equals hours or killing placeholders. It's entirely random when the courier can pop. It can be back to back. It can be hours between.

The answer is basically whether you would rather farm the plat or get lucky on a drop.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miauler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is it worth it to try to camp this ring? How bad of a camp is it? I saw it selling for 7k, so I assume it's a pretty long camp. I already don't have any plat, so I don't think I'd be able to buy it before I'm really high level.
Yes it's worth it: my druid has the ring and it's amazing in ways you can't fully appreciate until you use it. But you can't get it at your level (unless you waste a lot more time than it's worth). As others have said, your best bet is to farm it yourself in your 30's, understanding that it may well be a week-plus long project. Still, unless you are super unlucky the ring's benefits (faster XP from 30-something to 60) should more than outweigh the time you'll spend camping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would have to say from level 20-30 is when I did my most charming and I never had a problem by breaking charm just by clicking Hide. If it didn't work at first, wait a few seconds and do it again and second time around, it will break the charm.
If you do that you will frequently break charm too early (and have to waste a lot of mana to kill the mobs) or break charm too late (and get either 1/2 or no XP from one mob). Casting some form of invis will save you XP and be more than worth the small amount of mana it takes (although of course the instant-cast ring is better still).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:36 PM
Fire Giant

Definitely camp it in the 30's. Like everyone else said, it's all luck. A friend of mine got one in less than 15 minutes once on his first try at the camp, but on the other hand I had a different friend camp it for like 9 hours straight and leave empty handed once. Just don't spend more than a couple hours at a time trying for it.

It's a pretty shit camp because of the nature of the PH's, but it's easily doable in the 30's and will almost certainly be quicker than farming 7k yourself at those levels.

Non-Enchanters thought farming pre-nerf Seafuries at levels 50+ were "good" plat at 500pp/hour average. That'd be an average of 14 hours of Seafuries to buy a ring, and farming pre-nerf seafuries isn't even an option anymore and was never an option for level 30's. Doubt it'd take close that long to camp the ring.

For the rest of your gear, just grind levels with the bare minimum cheap CHA gear until you're higher level and you can farm high value drops that pretty much every other class can't even consider camping solo.
Closed Thread