Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigga [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did project M make it to all the servers i know it was on tz for a short time then it dissappeared
I am almost certain that I remembered playing on Morell Thule and doing project M.

Also check out these comments from Craig Napp about project M (http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/ne...9&month=092005)

Quote:
What was Project M and how did it affect the creation of monster missions?

Project M was an experiment done back in fall of 2001 where players could select a monster at the character selection screen. The intent was to allow players to hop into the body of a low level creature and challenge other creatures and players, but the design of the system at the time had some significant problems that prevented Project M from staying on servers long.

Why didn't Project M work?

First, Project M didn't fit into the immersive world of EverQuest as players were simply choosing an NPC at character select (such as a moss snake). In addition, a small minority of players used Project M to grief new players which introduced a PvP element on PvE servers that was unintended. As you can imagine, the only people who typically had fun were the griefers and even then it was a short term play-style as players never earned rewards.
Dawrit 12 Druid of Project1999
Old 03-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Sarnak

Those are the excuses given. I'm pretty sure they felt they didn't 'need' this feature anymore since they were going to introduce shrouds and instances right around the corner.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Banned

I remember this very well! It was totally freaking awesome.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by moklianne [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Those are the excuses given. I'm pretty sure they felt they didn't 'need' this feature anymore since they were going to introduce shrouds and instances right around the corner.
Being that it was 4 years from the time they removed project M, til DoDH came out with shrouds and MMs, I do not think that was the reason. I personally think that things went down just like Craig said. It was a fun feature, but it was SO fun that people ended up slaughtering the new players and the powers that be did not want to lose subscriptions from that...

/shrug I think that the P1999 community would be the perfect place to bring it back since the majority of us have played before and enjoy a good challenge and a surprise or 2...=)

Here is another article describing the fun at the time...

http://wafflesatnoon.com/2008/07/01/...nster/#more-70

Quote:
I never really used the Everquest test servers, but I heard talk of a new feature coming out called an MPC, or Monster Player Character. “Project M” it was called. As I recall, this feature actually went live for a day or two. If you were one of the lucky few lucky enough to see this fun fiasco, you certainly remember it.

The specifics are vague, but here’s how I recall it.

On the player log in screen, there was a button labeled “Monster” that you could click and be inserted into the game as a random monster. It was typically a low-level mob. That first day (and perhaps the only day) was absolutely insane. I had to feel bad for anyone who had happened to sign up that day.

There were rumors of swarms of rats and skeletons outside of the newbie area of Qeynos, waiting to attack unassuming low levels players who stepped far enough outside of the guard’s realm of protection.

I kept going into the game as different monsters, landing in different zones each time. I finally made it to Qeynos as a low level rat. I stood back and just watched, literally laughing out loud. I saw a low level character saunter out past the guards… and get ambushed and quickly killed by about 7 MPC rats. I noticed MPC rats attacking each other all around the area. Eventually one of the MPC’s attacked me and I died.

You could level your monster up during that session, but you couldn’t save your progress. Once you died, you were back at the character select screen and that monster was gone forever. MPC’s could not communicate at all. I recall another zone (can’t recall the name) and there were probably 15 MPC’s, waiting just behind a hill for someone to walk by. We couldn’t communicate, but somehow we all knew that we were there to cause havoc.

After a couple hours, I logged off, having had one of the most unusual nights I had ever had in an online game.

The next day I logged on and my beloved “Monster” button was gone. Apparently the powers at be never imagined swarms of MPC’s ambushing new players. Rumor was that it introduced a PvP element that the programmers had never intended.

It’s one of those rare events that is almost forgotten now.
Dawrit 12 Druid of Project1999
Closed Thread