Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-18-2023, 11:42 AM
Aviak

Default EQ MIDI Soundtrack Restoration

I wasn't aware of this Trilogy EMT V0.1 until after many hours of browsing the forums and it's absolutely jawdropping how good it is. The original MIDI soundtracks are how I really remember EQ sounding back in the day, I don't know how the Titanium client's versions ended up like they did, but the original AWE32 versions are drastically superior.

As far as I can tell it's just drag and drop and the instructions contained within worked perfectly.

So I just felt this deserved a repost/sharing as I think it's really fantastic. Felwithe and Kelethin are just something so special, I will be revisiting many zones today!
Old 02-18-2023, 01:51 PM
Large Rat

Hey Chris I have followed the instruction in readme but I can't make it work. I tried couple place like freeport dock, Misty, and Nro desert, no MP3 play at all. any hints?
Old 02-18-2023, 03:20 PM
Aviak

Just posting the instructions here for convenience:

"TrilogyEMT is a project to implement MP3 versions of the music in Original, Kunark, and Velious zones on Titanium and perhaps other post-PoP EQ clients.

Shendare's work on the Eff2Emt tool made this possible! (https://github.com/Shendare/Eff2Emt)
Maestrobob's MP3 transfers using the AWE32 soundfont are featured in this release. (https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...&postcount=104)

v0.1
Renamed mp3 songs more descriptively and removed duplicates
Created "XMI to MP3" spreadsheet, which lists all zones a song plays in
Converted eff files to emt format
Updated the new emt files to reference mp3 songs instead of xmi

---Installing---
1. Back up all existing .emt files in your EverQuest directory.
2. Copy all .emt files in the EMT folder to your EQ directory. Overwrite any files that already exist.
3. Copy the /music folder into your EQ directory.
-Optional
4. Back up combattheme1.mp3, combattheme2.mp3, deaththeme.mp3, and eqtheme.mp3.
5. Copy the four files from the optional folder and replace those in your EQ directory.

---Notes---
The MP3 songs play Much louder than the MIDI music. You will likely need to turn your music volume down in game. Unfortunately, the emt files seem to ignore the volume setting for mp3s.
I haven't noticed any negative impact on load times or gameplay since using this with an SSD.
It's pretty easy to modify/remove music you don't care for. I'm particularly fond of using "beach" on character select! Just be sure the file name matches what you're replacing or edit the zone's emt file in Notepad or Excel.
In future releases, I'm looking to tinker with the emt conversion. Some of the fade-outs seem especially long. I also want to add some of this music that just wasn't used originally. It's a cryin' shame none of the Sky themes play and "jaunty3" doesn't play in Maestro's hall!"
Old 02-18-2023, 05:35 PM
Large Rat

my mp3 is not even playing
Old 02-18-2023, 06:57 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
my mp3 is not even playing
Is your music volume bar turned up in game? Did you follow the instructions exactly? Try restoring from the backups if it doesnt work
Old 02-19-2023, 05:34 AM
Large Rat

ok it is the music folder, i copy mp3 to eq root folder instead of moving music folder to eq root folder.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:24 PM
Orc

Hey, it was cool to see this thread pop up! Thanks for sharing and glad you've enjoyed it. It got me back to tinkering with the music a bit. This time for the character select "zone". If you're familiar with the classic client, each race heard a variation of the overall song. I managed to simulate this on Titanium (with a couple caveats) using some mp3 transfers Maestrobob shared!

Download: TrilogyEMT CharSelect Addon
Video Preview: https://youtu.be/bptpqrYDKvU
Old 02-22-2023, 10:15 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivouac [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey, it was cool to see this thread pop up! Thanks for sharing and glad you've enjoyed it. It got me back to tinkering with the music a bit. This time for the character select "zone". If you're familiar with the classic client, each race heard a variation of the overall song. I managed to simulate this on Titanium (with a couple caveats) using some mp3 transfers Maestrobob shared!

Download: TrilogyEMT CharSelect Addon
Video Preview: https://youtu.be/bptpqrYDKvU
Dude that's absolutely magical thank you so much i had no idea there were soundtracks for each race!

On a tangent i mentioned elsewhere: are you familiar with the issue of soundtracks looping over and over with no pause in-between? It's an issue in butcherblock mountains and several other places. Also how only the first combat theme tune plays when there are actually 3 that can play potentially.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:20 AM
Orc

AFAIK, the music has always looped immediately and indefinitely if you're within its radius. It certainly has since they switched to the .emt format in Planes of Power. There are some fields in the .emt for randomized, delayed looping, but they're only meant for short .wav sound effects like birds chirping. Not for music. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As for the combat music, I'd guess the original system got broken or patched out some time after they replaced it with mp3 music. The best I've been able to manage with Titanium is setting combattheme1(&2).mp3 to two of the three songs. But that only randomizes on zoning.
Old 02-27-2023, 12:07 PM
VIP / Contributor

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=411339