Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-09-2023, 08:01 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's a routing issue with your ISP. It'll resolve in a few days / weeks on its own.

You haven't troubleshot the commonality between yours and your son's systems. Try connecting one of them to your cell hotspot or a vpn or go to a friend's house (who uses a different ISP).

-Mcoy
There very well could be a routing issue with the ISP.

I appreciate the thought. Though my son is on a different a completely different ISP. Nothing is shared with regard to connectivity. He has his own Internet connectivity via his wireless provider.

We have done the reset the router and modem thing also. If that even matters.
Old 08-09-2023, 10:09 AM
Planar Protector

If you want to verify, you could have him compare a traceroute to yours and see if you share any hops (other than once you near the p99 region). If you do, try a VPN service temporarily, or wardrive by a mcdonald's or library or something.

-Mcoy
Last edited by mcoy; 08-09-2023 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: p99 hops
Old 08-09-2023, 10:13 AM
Planar Protector

Some interesting reading, but my guess as to why it's so sensitive (excluding abuse protections ofc):

https://www.pcgamer.com/breaking-the...ed-everything/

-Mcoy
Old 08-10-2023, 11:29 AM
Orc

When I use any compatibility mode, the game will not load and I get this error:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program C:\Everquest\P1999\eqgame.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information
Old 08-10-2023, 09:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questors [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I use any compatibility mode, the game will not load and I get this error:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program C:\Everquest\P1999\eqgame.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information
Do you have an ultrawide monitor?

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=395213

Edit your eqclient.ini and play with your resolution settings...

-Mcoy
Old 08-11-2023, 04:07 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you have an ultrawide monitor?

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=395213

Edit your eqclient.ini and play with your resolution settings...

-Mcoy
2560 x 1600, so 16:10 but not ultrawide

I appreciate your assistance. I have several hours of trying fixes, doing fresh installs, installing to different directories, changing settings, compatibility modes, runtime installs, resolution and refresh changes, reboots, more relogs than I care to think about and whatever else I could find on the forums or the web to no avail.

I did each tweak one at a time.

I can't help but wonder if it's a Windows 11 thing that I can't change. On my old laptop running Windows 10, all I had to do was run WinEQ2 and use either XP SP 2 or 3 compatibility mode and all was well.
Last edited by Questors; 08-11-2023 at 04:12 PM..
Old 08-11-2023, 08:53 PM
Planar Protector

If you've got a working install on your other system, copy it over and try it. It will likely crash on launch because of the resolution, so delete (or rename) eqclient.ini and try again.

You're not installing EQ in the default location, right? Move it out of program files...

-Mcoy
Old 08-13-2023, 07:00 AM
Orc

Quote:
If you've got a working install on your other system, copy it over and try it. It will likely crash on launch because of the resolution, so delete (or rename) eqclient.ini and try again.

You're not installing EQ in the default location, right? Move it out of program files...

-Mcoy
Original and subsequent installs were into it's own folder, but not under the default in program files. For grins, I did do a default pathing install and saw not difference, good or bad. The program worked exactly the same way, including minimizing at character select when trying log in. The number problems I have had this go-round coming back to P1999 have been a ridiculous, regardless where I install it or what fix I try.

Fighting a Sand Giant and suddenly the screen minimizes to the upper left hand quadrant of the screen, the the entire screen goes black and minimizes to the completely to the task bar. No keys touched. It's not just when fighting a Sand Giant or a one time thing. That's just an example of the crazy.

This morning, I went to change the font size in the eqclient.ini file. Gone. Missing. MIA It's not even in there. No one else uses my laptop. It's not hacked or compromised. It's been off all night. Go figure. The game still starts and plays, such as it has been.

I am going to fire up my old laptop and copy that .ini file to this machine and see what goes on.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questors [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Original and subsequent installs were into it's own folder, but not under the default in program files. For grins, I did do a default pathing install and saw not difference, good or bad. The program worked exactly the same way, including minimizing at character select when trying log in. The number problems I have had this go-round coming back to P1999 have been a ridiculous, regardless where I install it or what fix I try.

Fighting a Sand Giant and suddenly the screen minimizes to the upper left hand quadrant of the screen, the the entire screen goes black and minimizes to the completely to the task bar. No keys touched. It's not just when fighting a Sand Giant or a one time thing. That's just an example of the crazy.

This morning, I went to change the font size in the eqclient.ini file. Gone. Missing. MIA It's not even in there. No one else uses my laptop. It's not hacked or compromised. It's been off all night. Go figure. The game still starts and plays, such as it has been.

I am going to fire up my old laptop and copy that .ini file to this machine and see what goes on.
For the SG issue that sounds like your resolution isn't quite right so you're "clicking through" to your desktop behind. Remember, EQ is a 4:3 game - don't try and push it to other ratios.

As far as the eqclient.ini - if you have it installed in a protected location (such as program files) and don't run p99 as an admin, it won't be able to write changes (such as to your eqclient.ini file) so they'll instead be redirected into your user's virtual directory under c:\users\yournamehere\appdata.

Additionally, some changes are only "saved" (written) when the client closes correctly. If you crash on every camp attempt it will never record some settings and you have to change them every time.

-Mcoy
Old 08-13-2023, 02:31 PM
Orc

Quote:
For the SG issue that sounds like your resolution isn't quite right so you're "clicking through" to your desktop behind. Remember, EQ is a 4:3 game - don't try and push it to other ratios.

As far as the eqclient.ini - if you have it installed in a protected location (such as program files) and don't run p99 as an admin, it won't be able to write changes (such as to your eqclient.ini file) so they'll instead be redirected into your user's virtual directory under c:\users\yournamehere\appdata.

Additionally, some changes are only "saved" (written) when the client closes correctly. If you crash on every camp attempt it will never record some settings and you have to change them every time.

-Mcoy
Interesting. Thank you. I didn't consider things like these you mention.

The install before this latest was into the default directory. I wanted to see if there would be any difference. It did crash about 25% less. Coincidence? Probably. The previous half dozen uninstalls/reinstalls were to C:\Everquest directly, rather than the default (path)\x86\program files

Until I get to the point of strategic retreat, I will continue to do things and see what happens.