Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 07:18 AM
Orc

Default Poor and Rich, no middle?!

I have been playing on p99 now for a few weeks, and loving it. It has had its up and downs. It appears that there is a vast different in wealth on this server though.

In essence, it seems like your either poor, or rich. When decent starting weapons for anyone are around 100-300pp, but that is what you pretty much have until 1) you get lucky with a good drop in a group or 2) you save up for MONTHS to get one piece of equipment.

I don't remember it being like that in original EQ. There were decent priced upgrades all the way to 60. Currently as it is, I'm 23rd level, and I think that these weapons I have will pretty much be what I have until 60. Then at that point why would I want some of these other weapons that would have served me good from 30-60 when I will most likely get a weapon that is basically for a level 60 character.

Anyone else notice this? Is it because of the uniqueness of this server? Is it because Kunark has been out for so long and no Velious?

I think that some of these level 60 players who are holding on to decent weapons to sell but will not give anyone who is a new player leveling a decent deal need to rethink the value of what they have.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 AM
Planar Protector

You should be more specific. There is a decent change that the 100-300pp weapons you call starting weapons WERE acceptable for 50+ characters to be using on live. What class are you? What weapons do you have now? What individual pieces of gear do you think you need MONTHS to save up for (as if level 23s should be doing that anyways instead of just XPing!) that you would have been able to get more easily on live? Why do you seem to think there is something wrong with having to be lucky with a good drop in a group in order to get an upgrade? Who are you running into who, after explaining that you are a legit new player seeking upgrades (and again, what class are you?), who is refusing to help you out with the price?
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 01-30-2014 at 07:27 AM..
Old 01-30-2014, 07:25 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Is it because of the uniqueness of this server? Is it because Kunark has been out for so long and no Velious?
I believe so, yes.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:28 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You should be more specific. There is a decent change that the 100-300pp weapons you call starting weapons WERE acceptable for 50+ characters to be using on live. What class are you? What weapons do you have now? What individual pieces of gear do you think you need MONTHS to save up for (as if level 23s should be doing that anyways instead of just XPing!) that you would have been able to get more easily on live? Who are you running into who, after explaining that you are a legit new player seeking upgrades (and again, what class are you?), who is refusing to help you out with the price?
I wasn't looking exactly to get into specifics. Just putting a thread out there to see what people have to say about the issue. First off I'm a paladin. And your right, a good portion of the weapons that are around the price range I put up were acceptable for characters 50+ . It has to be the uniqueness of the server that makes the price differences on items so staggering.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:40 AM
Orc

It seems it goes for almost all items, not just weapons. Basically you can get GREAT gear for CHEAP because of the uniqueness of this server, that then, when you look for upgrades, makes you gawk at the prices. For a small example, get a great Green Jade Broadsword for around 200pp, but then when you look for an upgrade from that the prices are crazy high.

That leads to this perception I have that your either poor or rich, no in between. Make a little more sense? Is there a way to fix it? Does it need to be fixed? What kind of pros and cons does this do to a thriving marketplace?
Old 01-30-2014, 07:41 AM
Fire Giant

Hunt me down when I am online I will check my bank to see if I have enough PP to buy you a ghoulbane
Old 01-30-2014, 07:45 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebekkha [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hunt me down when I am online I will check my bank to see if I have enough PP to buy you a ghoulbane
I appreciate the offer. I didn't make this thread to look for handouts though. I do appreciate it very much though! I'll look you up in game.

In an effort to keep this thread from potentially derailing if you have interest in helping me out go ahead and send me a PM.

I'm very much interested on what other people think about this topic. If your new to the server, an old vet, poor, rich, ect...
Old 01-30-2014, 07:46 AM
Banned

Well

A 10/18 seb dirk drops off a level 55 requiring a full group and careful pulls of 53-55+ peeps.
Are you saying it should be 2000pp, so it is a nice step from a 200pp 11/22 jarsarth trident?

A Jarsarth Trident drops from a level 51?ish mob in KC. Requiring a group of 45-55
Should it be any cheaper than 100-200pp? Most people can afford this by level 12-14...for a level 50 weapon that is absolutely fine to use until 60 in classic.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:48 AM
Planar Protector

Paladin weapons go like this: you've got very few paladins on the server, so basically all of the paladin weapons that are remotely easy to obtain are pretty cheap. Baton of faith, sword of the mourning, etc. If a weapon is usable by other classes too, or has a fancy proc, like a wurmslayer or poison wind censer or runed blade or something, it is more expensive. And if you look at paladin-only but best-in-slot stuff like a rod of faith, it costs a ton because it is best-in-slot AND only will be purchased by twinks (since a paladin who is high enough to get it with a group or to afford it otherwise would already have his epic) AND it is a rare drop off a rare mob in a pain-in-the-ass zone.

Fortunately for you as a paladin, you can just buy a baton of faith if you like 2h weapons or a sword of the morning+shield if you like 1h weapons and rock that until you can finish your epic around 50 and you'll be a more effective tank than a warrior swinging 300k worth of weapons.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:54 AM
Planar Protector

Gear IS like that in general though, yeah. A lot of gear that was probably a middle-ground on live is basically cheap as dirt on here. The slow timeline on here has probably caused lots of low-level gear but few low-level players. So buying low- or mid-quality gear can be really cheap. But then when you have a huge number of high-level players compared to on live, well, the longer time in the expansion to farm higher-end gear isn't enough to keep prices down in the face of such high demand for those items + platinum inflation that is also the result of the slow timeline.
Closed Thread