Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Planar Protector

Let me clearly what is the dilemma here.

Back on LIVE if enough people would bug SOE to change/implement something, SOE would eventually back down and maybe meet them half way. But if you were in minority - you could only dream about something you like to be implemented.

On EMU - you actually have a REAL opportunity to do things EXACTLY how you want them.

No one is denying you the right of free speech, I am merely pointing out at the fact that, that ANYONE here has a freedom to start their own eq server and alter anything they think worth altering.

In other words what is happening is following:

1. This is a Purist Vision Classic server (minus the technical discrepancies like new UI, item links etc)
2. At least 50% of players that play here are PURISTS who came here to get exactly that - a Pure Classical server (lets call them group A)
3. SOME portion of the players (lets call them group B) like the idea of original EQ but would not mind to IMPROVE on it.
4. Now these players from Group B start making all these suggestions about improving classical gameplay that purists obviously don't like.

Now, listen careful as I am about to make a point: even if we assume for a moment that server Devs are influenced by democracy (right of majority), even then, the group B would loose to group A.
However, when people from group B are given option to do things their own way - split off and start their own project, they somehow consider it inappropriate.

So it appears to be, that group B, while desiring changes to the server, somehow wishes to impose them onto Group A, and have group A to accept them, despite the fact, that group A clearly opposes such changes.
I basing this argument on a logical assumption, that if YOU are proposing a change, you would like to see this change implemented, otherwise you would not be proposing it.
And when group B is presented with a counter offer of creating their OWN project, where group B will be a majority governing potential improvement of EQ, they find it unacceptable to them.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Banned

The FAQ plainly states that exp penalties exist:

Quote:
What are the experience penalties/bonuses?
By Race:
Troll -20%
Iksar -20%
Ogre -15%
Barbarian -5%
Halfling +5%

By Class:
Paladin / Shadowknight / Ranger / Bard -40%
Monk -20%
Wizard / Magician / Enchanter / Necromancer -10%
Rogue +9%
Warrior +10%

There is a handy sortable class/race matrix available to peruse. One thing to note is that exp penalties are multiplied not added: a troll shadowknight would be at a 1.4 (SK) x 1.2 (TRL) = 1.68 or 68% penalty. Until the July 2010 patch the racial exp mods were slightly off. Ogres were getting the halfling bonus instead of a penalty, .etc. Full details are available here.
If you can't take the time to read an FAQ before investing time in the game, the responsibility for being unsatisfied with experience penalties lies with you.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
what is so extreme and absurd about making your own server?
I have been working on my own "Vision" server for last 3 years. When its done, it will be everything that EQ should have been but failed to deliver.
At least in IMO [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You have to realize that Devs here are NOT SOE/Verant. The later, WERE occasionally listening to their players cause their salaries depended on players willingness to play and pay.

On Emu servers, devs don't need to sacrifice their "Vision" in order to please the "paying customer". Hence, the devs are even MORE adamant about sticking to their vision, and trying to tell them how YOU would like them to run THEIR server, usually only results in the Devs getting pissed at you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Even if you right [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Good deal if you need somebody to poke around your server a little bit just let me know.

I'll see if i can find any bugs ;p
Old 03-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Aviak

Seriously some of you need to remove the stick from your ass. I was just interested in some feedback. In my OP I mentioned that I am thankful for the server and the Devs. I'm not making any demands. I'm just offering my opinion. I like this server but that doesn't mean it's perfect. It gets most of what I want right, but certain changes would improve the overall experience. Going out and starting my own server is a bit extreme and not at all practical... Telling me it's my own fault for not reading the FAQ? I knew about the experience penalties when I started, that doesn't mean I agree with them. Calm down people and have a friendly discussion! This wasn't a rant.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
what is so extreme and absurd about making your own server?
I have been working on my own "Vision" server for last 3 years. When its done, it will be everything that EQ should have been but failed to deliver.
At least in IMO [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You have to realize that Devs here are NOT SOE/Verant. The later, WERE occasionally listening to their players cause their salaries depended on players willingness to play and pay.

On Emu servers, devs don't need to sacrifice their "Vision" in order to please the "paying customer". Hence, the devs are even MORE adamant about sticking to their vision, and trying to tell them how YOU would like them to run THEIR server, usually only results in the Devs getting pissed at you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Even if you right [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you happen to need any help with anything let me know [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyFresh609 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Seriously some of you need to remove the stick from your ass. I was just interested in some feedback. In my OP I mentioned that I am thankful for the server and the Devs. I'm not making any demands. I'm just offering my opinion. I like this server but that doesn't mean it's perfect. It gets most of what I want right, but certain changes would improve the overall experience. Going out and starting my own server is a bit extreme and not at all practical... Telling me it's my own fault for not reading the FAQ? I knew about the experience penalties when I started, that doesn't mean I agree with them. Calm down people and have a friendly discussion! This wasn't a rant.
Please don't take offense on this. I myself more than once have started and participated in such discussions. You just need to accept that majority of players than play on P99 are classical purists, and readily object to any "improvements", no matter how creative and beneficial they are. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, don't give up on your ideas, just be ready for some burning criticism [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Flunklesnarkin, Danyelle - thanks for the offer. I will keep you guys in mind, once the things move into open Alpha testing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Please don't take offense on this. I myself more than once have started and participated in such discussions. You just need to accept that majority of players than play on P99 are classical purists, and readily object to any "improvements", no matter how creative and beneficial they are. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, don't give up on your ideas, just be ready for some burning criticism [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Flunklesnarkin, Danyelle - thanks for the offer. I will keep you guys in mind, once the things move into open Alpha testing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't worry you didn't offend me, while I might not agree with you, you are contributing to the discussion in a positive way.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyFresh609 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree. I came here to see ideas people had. I do not want to change p1999. I actually like having the option to come here and play EQ -as it was-. That's the value of p1999. That's what makes it durable.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 03-08-2012 at 01:52 PM..
Closed Thread