Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Kobold

Do they have the mercenary henchmen on that server? I quit the live servers a long time ago so I was gone long before they put in henchmen but in my mind that would completely ruin the EQ experience. When I read that they did that, to me it sounded like they had finally given up entirely and EQ had truly jumped the shark.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Fire Giant

I don't think mercs are on the server, however I think on a server where boxing is allowed mercs are no different as both go around the mechanic or general philosophy of a single player controlling a single character in a mmorpg.

When I was playing on live EQ I actually enjoyed the merc as I have never boxed, as it let me level up classes I normally would never attempt to level up solo (such as a rogue).

The problem with live EQ currently is that 1 - 80 is a complete ghost town so someone coming back to the game after a hiatus is completely out of luck as far as leveling a non-necro/mage goes.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Fire Giant

Man, do people still play on the live servers? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Their idea of classic is nothing like real classic, so I'm kind of surprised they are seeing success with them.

Devamped classic zones, bogus drops, bogus mobs, in-game maps, compass, nerfed death penalties, ability to run away from mobs, overpowered spells, shared bank slots, etc. etc. etc. Sounds about as fun as watching the paint dry.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

It isn't intended to be classic. It is intended to be progression.

This server will blow until about PoP era when it will become decentish.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Banned

What's the fucking point of "progression" when you're vastly more overpowered for the current content of where you are supposed to be in progression?

*facepalm*
Old 02-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Banned

I am patching it up on my other comp now, 3 hour patch... They gave free time so I dusted off my ancient account just to check it out.

I can't really stand the old world though so I am loking forward to Kunark.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned

I'm going to run through it as a recruitment poster for P99, properly.

Group with people, help noobs out, etc. and direct them here casually lol
Old 02-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Banned

Not a big fan of this Progression shit... I like how its a real server but the new revamped noobie zones and clusterfuck of mechanics dont work when you are playing Classic -> Kunark and have super mana regen, OP Monk fists and so on... Guess ill stay at P99 and play with the bugs.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Planar Protector

I'll just go ahead and point out that this server of theirs was not advertised as being "classic". The focus was always on it being time locked Progression. So, with that said they aren't exactly false advertising.

As somebody stated on a previous thread: for what ever reason they use the same database for all their servers and have no way of simply undoing changes to 1 specific server, particularly if it's something more than three years old.

While this may or may not have been a dumb move on their part, it's not like their goal was to replicate 1999. I don't think they ever said it was.

Basically people join this server to get server firsts and to get a chance to start on an even playing field. For those that have been playing on live but have 500AA's less than their buddy or have always been in the second best guild, this is a chance for them to try and get to the top. For others it's merely a change of pace from seeing the endless mudflation and sick twinking at level one. For those purposes I think the server will deliver to the people that seek it out.

I personally don't have the time to invest in something like this which is the main reason why I will not be trying it out.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Sarnak

It's a bunch of BS anyway about all their servers being on the same DB. EQMac is frozen in time at POP with all the old zones intact, and there doesn't seem to be a problem running that.
Closed Thread