Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Fire Giant

Default The >75 Agility Debacle

It is seen as common knowledge in modern EQ that if your character, such as many iterations of Ogre, has a base value of below 75 agility that it would behoove one to spend 5 character creation attribute points to reach that threshold, least you face a severe AC penalty.

Having said that, has anyone leveled a character without pumping their agility to 75?

Was gear able to bridge the necessary gap? Or was it a constant pain in the ass to maintain a piece of agility gear in lower levels?

What were some easy to obtain pieces of agility gear one could find to compensate?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Planar Protector

Ogre SK 70 base agi cuz char made on drunken christmas day.

Doesn't rly matter in Kunark era, something's bound to have +5agi. Even classic just meant had to wear Lizarskin Tribal Mask until got Umbral Legs.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Kobold

It's very rare but for once I kinda disagree with stupid Brut, don't listen to him he's just fat with some muscle here and there. I, on the other hand, am part of the IEO, the Intellectual Elite of Oggok, and you should take my advice: not all that many parts give you AGI on SK gear and it's a shame to have to /bye on uber items to keep a slot for a crap AGI item.

For example he says you can compensate the 5 AGI with umbral legs BUT with regards to that specific example, you'd be skipping on powerfulmost orangepants from Zordak which would be a shame really, plus in uncountable PoFear runs I still have to see legs drop.. Can't take random drops for granted... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

For what it changes I think the 5 points investment is definitely worth saving yourself the headache or worse having to pass on nice gear because of those damn 5 AGI points you'll curse forever that one day.

On the other hand, I'm told that in Velious the gear will be much better so that might probably not be a problem anymore, but I'm clueless about Velious so don't take my word for it.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogdar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's very rare but for once I kinda disagree with stupid Brut, don't listen to him he's just fat with some muscle here and there. I, on the other hand, am part of the IEO, the Intellectual Elite of Oggok, and you should take my advice: not all that many parts give you AGI on SK gear and it's a shame to have to /bye on uber items to keep a slot for a crap AGI item.

For example he says you can compensate the 5 AGI with umbral legs BUT with regards to that specific example, you'd be skipping on powerfulmost orangepants from Zordak which would be a shame really, plus in uncountable PoFear runs I still have to see legs drop.. Can't take random drops for granted... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

For what it changes I think the 5 points investment is definitely worth saving yourself the headache or worse having to pass on nice gear because of those damn 5 AGI points you'll curse forever that one day.

On the other hand, I'm told that in Velious the gear will be much better so that might probably not be a problem anymore, but I'm clueless about Velious so don't take my word for it.
I think the point of his post was that you're likely going to be wearing something that gives 5 agility. Not specifically the Umbral Legs.

For most SKs, this is going to be their 41% PoSky belt.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:41 AM
Kobold

Yeah, but again, not all that easy, the vast majority of SK stuff doesn't offer AGI alas. As to that 41% belt, same story, better not take for granted. We killed Spiroc countless times now and I have yet to see one drop.. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It's doable but saving those 5 points at char creation is not comparable to the potential headaches when missing 5 AGI on gear, or having to throw away a good piece for an AGI one...
Old 11-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Sarnak

I leveled a erudite SK to 20 without the 5 points in agility. It was hell.. not only did I do terrible damage being a erudite, it seemed like I missed more than my troll SK (also 20) & got hit more often. I had a +5 agility belt, but anytime I became even slightly encumbered I was smacked with the AC penalty.

@ lvl 19/20 I was doing the crocs in oasis with great difficulty & had to rely heavily on fear.

Long story short, I deleted the erudite.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyphil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I leveled a erudite SK to 20 without the 5 points in agility. It was hell.. not only did I do terrible damage being a erudite, it seemed like I missed more than my troll SK (also 20) & got hit more often. I had a +5 agility belt, but anytime I became even slightly encumbered I was smacked with the AC penalty.

@ lvl 19/20 I was doing the crocs in oasis with great difficulty & had to rely heavily on fear.

Long story short, I deleted the erudite.
Completely forgot that encumberence lowered your agi.

I think based on that fact alone it would be worth it to boost the 5. When you consider how difficult it is to find +5agi SK gear (short of planar) it's definately worth it as you'll still spend a significant portion of your time levelling to planar. In addition, if you're not completely rich you'll probably want to loot here and there.

My 2cp.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 11-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Fire Giant

Go to Kerra isle spend about 15 mins camping Tiger Pit loot a Cat'o'nine Tails, swing it a few times and get +18 or so agi for 36mins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by dethbringre; 11-06-2013 at 04:38 PM..
Old 11-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Fire Giant

http://wiki.project1999.com/Cat_O%27_Nine_Tails actually drops in Tiger Pit
Old 11-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Fire Giant

Thanks everyone, I'm now able to make a more informed decision and roll another race haha
Closed Thread