Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Need to see all suggestions.

It's open discussion so anyone has the chance to make suggestions.
I'm experiencing a lot of Poe's Law the past few days here so I'm not taking most of the suggestions seriously.

What would be different about the server here that'd make Item Loot successful? It didn't work on live for a variety of reasons -- mainly gank squads, inherent imbalanced between casters and melees early on, the general lack of risk versus reward, the imbalance between time required to get some gear and then instantly losing it.

I'm curious how a new server would address those issues? I can't see a warrior sticking around after losing his Crafted Breastplate or his weapon and then having to go recamp the items.

As to the other suggestions, they're just bad for reasons I don't really need to expand upon.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Kobold

Teams -Yes

Item loot -Yes, so far the random selection idea seems like the best.

No drop/droppable -remove all no drop tags from all items. If you use it you should have to risk losing it.

Language barrier -I'm ok with it either way. I can ignore trash talk from enemies but some people might be driven away by it.

Global faction loss -I would say yes if it doesn't cause problems. Depending on what the teams are it might make it hard for some people to buy some of their spells. But in general it does make sense, if you kill a Halfling player you should take a faction hit with Halfling NPCs.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredschnarf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i wonder if anyone reads these huge posts?
Never read one of these. Forums have yet to progress to bullet points yet.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Fire Giant

whats funny is the design intent behind this thread WAS bullet points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowlife [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Post your replies.

Teams -

Item loot -

No drop/droppable -

Language barrier -

Global faction loss -

Other -
people just said fuck that and either wrote nonsensical >140 characters of nothing or walls of text.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Banned

Random item system will be abused some how.

I kill someone with a tranix crown, get a 7mr bracer

They kill me, get a tranix crown

Sounds bad

Or

Make sure bags are always filled with garbage items or always have at least 1 garbage item to lower probability of something good being taken

Item loot hurts RMT, this is a good thing

DrScience (presumably the coach) PLAYED ON RALLOS. DURING THE CLASSIC TRILOGY ERA. My God, I say to myself, someone who played has more to say than "item loot dum" or "item loot mite be gud if reel classic", imagine that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
didn't work on live for a variety of reasons -- mainly gank squads
Completely, 100% wrong. It worked on live. PvP died when you could resist lures even (yes, you actually could if you had 500+ of said resist) or when everything became no drop. Seeing "your target resisted the lure of ro spell" was absolutely comical. There were no mechanics, most classes were useless, there was no risk or reward.

Some people's fat hearts can't take too much excitement, and I'm sure the adrenaline from an item loot server would have many here dead on the floor in a pool of diet coke and Little Debbie's.
Last edited by Nirgon; 11-19-2013 at 12:53 PM..
Old 11-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

Item loot worked before, will work again.

Cantwait
Old 11-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Fire Giant

How exactly is that "abused" and not simply, unfair?
Old 11-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Banned

When I make a pizza, I don't say to myself...

"Hm, I should try to experiment with this and dump chocolate syrup all over it"
Old 11-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Kobold

Teams - 3 teams, even on SZ the Good Team (weakest/underpopulated team) was able to accomplish some stuff and even drew in new players who wanted to be the "underdog". Yes you will run into a balancing issue but it wont be any worse than a 2 team server. Plus it will give the 2 weaker teams a reason to "work together" to stop raids if one team becomes to dominate.

Item loot - I understand many hardcore PvPers want this, but blue pixel farmers and more casual players are going to either quit or just not join the server because of this and then we will have a population about the same size as R99. If you decide to go item loot, it needs to be random from the player who dies and no weapons, this will cripple any melee and probably make them rage quit....or everyone will roll a druid/wiz and we all know there is going to be an over abundance of those classes on a new PvP server anyway.

No drop/droppable - If you have item loot, keep no drops in the game. Again someone spends 20 hours of his/her life raiding for gear or camping an item just have have it looted. Rage quit and /wrist inc. If you have coin loot only in PvP you could make everything droppable to help encourage guilds to hand out gear to their guidmates to strengthen the overall guild, but I see some greedy people taking advantage of this and emptying guild banks if they have a falling out or decide to re roll to another team...also with a low population this would blow up the economy when people are trying to sell raid gear for crazy high prices.

Language barrier - Only able to communicate with the other teams via "say" or "emote" that way other people can see if some prick is spying on your guild and helping the other team. Yes they can always go to a remote area so no one can see their text but at least it limits to where they can talk. No tells/trades/buffs cross team. If you are going to make it so everyone can only have 1 toon per account I would even make it so you can not drop bags on the ground. You wont be twinking out alts with only 1 toon allowed so this would discourage people from dropping gear on the ground for another team to pick up and will also penalize them if they want to quit on their team to re roll onto another team.

Global faction loss - To much of a PITA when it comes to epics I would leave this out, unless you want to make it faction loss only if you kill them in their home city?? Not sure if you can code that or not??

Other - Remove global OOC, it is a cancer to any server and just pisses people off, and makes them leave. You can have Team channels to communicate to anyone on your team if you want. You can still broadcast PvP deaths globally if you want but every time someone dies on Red all you see is a huge wall of green text for 10 mins after arguing over how someone hacked or is cheating in some way shape or form. Remove that crap, the only people that want that are the tool bags that ruined R99. Also I would just keep No Drops in the game, having everything droppable complicates things way to much.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Banned

Teams - I like a 3 team system with the over powering team, evil, being chaotic and being a FFA team

Item loot - Loot 1 item, any item, in bags or not

No drop/droppable - Take off the no drop label on most items. Most items quested or items not worn with clickies should remain no drop or given the no drop tag (manastone, jboots, guise mask, quested clickies like the wizard debuff temple staff, necro book, etc.)

Language barrier - Allow players to understand all players talking in common tongue. If you want to talk in your racial tongue the player will have to have the skill to understand it. Also, have /ooc only talk to your team. Even though I suggested evil be FFA, allow them to talk to each other in /ooc.

Global faction loss - indifferent
Closed Thread