Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 05:11 AM
Banned

I am crap at coding but I am kind of a nerd when it gets to scanning through DBs and finding errors, if you ever need any help with the DB let me know. It is just very tiresome to go through it 1 by 1, post it all on the boards, then wait for someone to have the time to change it and then re check it.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This project has all of two people who do database work, and both of us also do some code work, and I do a lot of data collecting/parsing of game mechanics on Live. Not only that but I joined the team later on-- Rob was alone for a long time. There simply wasn't the manhours to go through every single quest and adjust every single NPC's drop rate. So I'm sorry for launching too early I guess. I had no say in that.
This is one of the problems 2 people are working on the database. When you have at least 3-4 more who are willing to help and have the skills todo so. Yet they are blocked by an invisible wall of unknown.

It gets really discouraging to people who can fix things technically and have to post on a message board. Sure the source code is open source. But the database is far from open source the contributing process is linear and has to go through a bureaucracy.

That is fine if you want to make sure it maintains some sort of correctness. It is unfair to punish players for being passionate when you are holding the keys to their success.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Kobold

I just yelled in the shower over the stupid fucking retarded and very public mistake I just realized I made. I'm going to have to set the FBSS back to 20% because I made a retarded math error. 16/(66+16) ~ 20%. I do this math god knows how many times and still fucked it up.

I had 3 Live clients running and logging spell resists, with another TAKP client parsing loot drops with the new code, while trying to watch for cheating in GM mode on a fifth client, and I was fixing the resist function so mobs 20 levels above players aren't easily hittable anymore. So yeah, my attention is split a lot. Go ahead and flame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetviper21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When you have at least 3-4 more who are willing to help and have the skills todo so. Yet they are blocked by an invisible wall of unknown.
Project 1999 gets this a lot too. It's not so simple.

For one, I've never seen these people you're referring to request to do DB work. How can I block them when I have no idea who they are?

Hanging around in IRC and getting to know us is probably the first step to gaining our trust. I was in there months before they gave me DB access. Also my rather long posts about game mechanics and NPC stats let them know I knew what I was doing.

Secondly, it's not merely a matter of inputting the 'correct' values in the database. Most of these numbers are simply not known and need to be estimated. That means conflicts with other devs on what things should be. If Rob sets numbers on a NPC, I coordinate with him before I fuck with them. We don't always agree on the numbers. So it's not just a matter of adding more people and getting more done. Now consider that the emu community is known for having some unstable people, so just adding people on a whim is problematic. Trust takes time.

It's also silly to assume that the 'outsiders' will suddenly show up and turn everything around if they were just let in. As soon as they mess with shit, you'll be bitching at them too.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:25 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Project 1999 gets this a lot too. It's not so simple.
Hanging around in IRC and getting to know us is probably the first step to gaining our trust. I was in there months before they gave me DB access. Also my rather long posts about game mechanics and NPC stats let them know I knew what I was doing.

Secondly, it's not merely a matter of inputting the 'correct' values in the database. Most of these numbers are simply not known and need to be estimated. That means conflicts with other devs on what things should be. If Rob sets numbers on a NPC, I coordinate with him before I fuck with them. We don't always agree on the numbers. So it's not just a matter of adding more people and getting more done. Now consider that the emu community is known for having some unstable people, so just adding people on a whim is problematic. Trust takes time.

It's also silly to assume that the 'outsiders' will suddenly show up and turn everything around if they were just let in. As soon as they mess with shit, you'll be bitching at them too.
On P99 we get plenty of offers to "help".

For someone like me, IRC doesn't work. I use too many diff computers. Most deving is done offline with no internet. The one computer i could get on full time, I may only see once a week. I would suggest using chat channels in skype over irc. You will never miss anything. No matter what device you get on.

Feel free to stay in the 90's on IRC. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I was running/deving IRC servers and services back in 97. Kind of hate IRC now.

There are a lot of unstable people out there.

Haynar
Old 02-06-2015, 06:48 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharhog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We never automated ch chains, nice try tho.
So that's how rellapse kept me alive in between chain yelling the n word and sips of bud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. Good times.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Banned

Rellapse once boxed 6 clerics alt tabbing his own ch rotation

hands down best cleric i have ever witnessed
Old 02-06-2015, 09:25 AM
Banned

also while probably drunk and yelling at everyone else to play better while singing waylon jennings in TS

get on his lvl
Old 02-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Sarnak

finally got it working. gonna get my 3 toons to 5 this weekend so I can start dominating orc hill
Old 02-06-2015, 01:59 PM
Banned

wtf is the anser to the question "what game is this" ive tried everquest, ever quest, project 1999, alkabor, al'kabor, the alkabor project, the al'kabor project. none of them work and im locked out now.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:00 PM
Sarnak

yeah but have you tried al's kabobs?