Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 03:08 PM
Banned

Default It's Time to Start Allowing for Open Naggy/Vox Raids (open letter to Raiders)

Hey leadership of Raid Guilds,

I have a question... do you remember that awesome feeling the first time you killed a dragon on p99? I sure do. My first dragon encounter was Lord Nagafen, and I failed utterly as a tank. But, my heart beat in my mouth and I made my girlfriend call me a big-footed dragonfighting halfling that night.

Now, what if I told you there are hundreds of players who have yet to experience that exhilaration... the ability to get a nostalgia boner as they rush to their deaths against Naggy or Vox? And that YOU could be directly responsible for letting a bunch of real life humans re-experience that dream?

It's the Current Year, and Naggy and Vox are still permafarmed.

The server has been around for a long, long time. You've gotten all the pixels many times over. And soon, it will be the Year After the Current Year.

It's time to start allowing for the casual peasantry to do open Naggy/Vox raids.

Before you re-act with vitriol and rage and shitpost at me with the bitter taste of adrenaline riding high in your mouth, claiming "FTE IS CLASSIC" "GET GOOD" or even "JOIN US," let's all take a breath. Consider this:

Open Raids Are Classic.

Naggy/Vox Pixels are good, but not great

You will feel Good when you see dozens of people rejoicing because you helped them experience joy

It's the Current Year

As we can see, guilds like Veloci Shift and even Paradox are quite capable of leading Open Raids that benefit the public just as much as themselves.

All I'm asking is that you really consider this possibility: Let one Naggy or Vox per month stay untouched. You can create an agreement in the Raid Discussion forum or something.

All it costs is one Naggy, or one Vox per month. That's what? One in four you don't immediately kill? Let it stay up for a day so that the casual hordes can assemble after work hours and kill it. You can even participate and help! You can even roll on the loot!

I've had the privilege of raiding some with Aftermath. I know some of the leadership in Awakened. You're good people who are great at managing elf-simulating nerds; you already enjoy serving and feel good when others get pixels... so it's time to extend that embrace to the server at large.

Gone are the days of the crazed fanaticism. TMO perished; IB RMT'd, BDA is dead and Chest is gone. I think that if you read this and really consider, you will agree that it's time to start allowing a little leeway for open raids to experience the lowest end dragons that Norrath has to offer.

We can actually create a server that we're proud of, where top-guilds eat all the VP and NTOV loot but allow for a smidgeon of exciting, dragon-fighting experience to the lesser denizens of Norrath. You don't have to adhere to the rules of the past.

Thank you for reading, I hope you (the leadership) will respond here so that we can begin creating an accord which will benefit the World at large.

Signed,
Filbus Furyfoot

Ex-Dragon Raider
Protector of Rivervale
Leader of the Rivervale Vanguard
Lord of the Misty Thicket
Slayer of Llandris
Old 08-21-2017, 03:19 PM
Planar Protector

It's a great idea and kudos to you for planting this seed of thought on the forums.

I actually never killed one dragon on p99, ever.

For those who would like to and simply are too casual to have ever had such a chance, I hope this thread serves as a vehicle to make it happen!
Old 08-21-2017, 03:30 PM
Planar Protector

If you agree to let any Bladestoppers and Rez Sticks that drop from these dragons to be rolled off by exclusively A/A members in attendance perhaps you will get a deal.

But a Bladestopper is probably the most valuable single item to drop from the raid scene on P99 right now due to the lack of proximity hate bonus code and the fact that zone pulls are still allowed for most content. I can't imagine they'd want to pass one up voluntarily.

Alternatively - Agnarr Server for your desired casual raiding experience. Until Sirken and Rogean hand off the reigns of the server to someone who favors casual raiding rules, you won't get much official support for casual raiding.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:37 PM
Fire Giant

someone help Filbus get a Gold-Plated Koshigatana so he can finally retire
Old 08-21-2017, 03:44 PM
Fire Giant

I think this is a great idea, and would support the 1x a month open naggy/Vox. If the A/A can't pass up the shot at a bladestopper, let them come and /random with the rest. Hell they could show there fancy deleveled 52's and take attempts at small manning them. Make a whole event day of it. Would be great for server morale, even if it was impossible to get them to go for once a month, at least once every two months, can we not agree on that? One in eight so the server can shine a little brighter? And the masses can truly feel that nostalgia of classic EQ?
Old 08-21-2017, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you agree to let any Bladestoppers and Rez Sticks that drop from these dragons to be rolled off by exclusively A/A members in attendance perhaps you will get a deal.
on red this was concept was called the "cuck tax"
Old 08-21-2017, 03:48 PM
Sarnak

I've been wanting to join a Naggy/Vox raid, but it seems like these are near perma-camped by whichever guilds kill squad logs in first. It would be a fun experience to have a scheduled Vox/Naggy once a month or even every other month...
Old 08-21-2017, 03:55 PM
Fire Giant

not classic, move to resolved
Old 08-21-2017, 04:05 PM
Fire Giant

I'd go to this.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:38 PM
Planar Protector

I remember on Live my 52 warrior was randomly recruited with a tell saying, "Come join my open Nagafen raid!". I do remember that exhilarating rush you were talking about when we finally charged in and I laid eyes for the first time on Naggy.

In my ignorance after coming to P99, I thought to myself, "Once I reach level 50, I'll hold off on leveling for a while so I can attend some Naggy / Vox raids (meaning open raids) and maybe get lucky on some loot. I can work on my epic in the meantime". Then I learned about having a level 52 alt to just log in for these raids with guilds that track the spawn (NOTE: I fully realize AG is a major contributor to this).

I think persuading folks to leave a Vox is going to be very difficult as there are many bards waiting on that white scale for their epic. Nagafen would be an easier first step in my opinion.

Matter of fact, when I did that open Naggy raid on live, the raid hosts advertised that Cloak of Flames was reserved, rest was open roll. So maybe to dip the toes in the water can reserve a particular coveted item to the host and see how it goes (in exchange they can give instructions to raiders to be successful, higher level buffs, trash clear / ports, help recruit and organize, etc).

I tip my hat to you Filbus, I like that you want to make Norrath a better place (also helps that you have the credentials of being on both sides of the raid scene).
Closed Thread