Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

View Poll Results: How should this rule be handled?
Keep it, as is. 5 7.69%
Keep the rule, but monitor chat a bit better. 14 21.54%
Abolish the rule 46 70.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 12:08 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Question /petition

I'd like to point out that I have only recently joined the server, and the players have made me feel extremely welcome. I'm posting from a different account than my character's name as to not cause conflict.

I've been on Red for a few days, it's amazing, I love the PvP, the players, the feel of the game; it all feels great. However I have had a few technical issues along with several of my friends. When petitioned I was dealt with harshly told that it was not something I should petition about, and to take it to the technical discussion forums. Well, the GM named the bug, and then refused to provide any insight. (I used Google)

I understand that OOC is no longer a social Channel, but I'm sorry— The server pop is less than 500, and not being able to post in OOC makes the game far less entertaining unless you're in a large guild or always in a group.
My friend can't even use OOC anymore after being banned from it for having a conversation— not vulgarity, nothing bad, but a conversation while the server was slow.

After petitioning my issue, I responded with a short, single line of text to a post in OOC, and the GM immediately responded by warning me about how important it is to not be social in chat. (It took nearly half an hour to get a response for my petition)

So, sorry, I don't feel welcome here, not in the slightest— not because of the players, but because of the GM that seems to have it out for the server pop. I know it's against the rules now to post in OOC, but I'm new and the first time it happened I was dealt with just as harshly after stating that I was brand new to the server.

This is what I propose— Don't let OOC become a flamewar, actually monitor it if you're going to put a rule like that in place. That way we can still have a social experience in a game that relies on that. I will not name the GM, and I'm sure that they're doing their job, but you know who you are, as do many of the players on Red (I have talked to several players that are much more upset than I am). Please, take it down a notch, we aren't animals; stop trying to punish us for wanting human interaction.

Note: I know the rule was put in place because of people ABUSING the use of OOC, this does not apply to them. This post is for the players that have had their hands chopped off for saying hey to a friend.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:14 AM
Planar Protector

There aren't enough guides. Judging from the 600+ applications I see it surely isn't from a lack of people willing to help.

OOC abuse is a problem. Severely limited OOC is an equally disturbing problem.

GET MORE GUIDES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
if your reason to be here is to ruin other peoples experiences and grief them off the server, then not only do you not deserve the privilege of playing here, but i will remove your ability to do so.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:29 AM
Fire Giant

It's seriously a joke right now in ooc. You say one thing and Eunomia pops up outta nowhere. Yet 3-4 big pvp fights happening daily over the last week in kc and or over mobs and NO guides NO gms to be seen watching people on both sides training, people on both sides VIOLATING LNS, and some people doing some overrall shady shit that influences battles. Give us a global auction, let ooc be for actual OOC (social interaction), and for the love of god someone come watch some pvp or do something productive.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:58 AM
Sarnak

Guy posts in /ooc about MM pvp. I call him out on plugging to me yesterday. He replies with the usual why don't you come 1v1, so I take it to tells. Having been leveling, I ask if he is even in range and I get this:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

At least in ooc someone can see people being a dick...in a tell, I'm probably just getting petitioned... The worst part is I'm 90% sure his main is with mine in GG based on their OOR healer when our group tried to take CE from them in MM yesterday.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:41 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAPhoenix [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Guy posts in /ooc about MM pvp. I call him out on plugging to me yesterday. He replies with the usual why don't you come 1v1, so I take it to tells. Having been leveling, I ask if he is even in range and I get this:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

At least in ooc someone can see people being a dick...in a tell, I'm probably just getting petitioned... The worst part is I'm 90% sure his main is with mine in GG based on their OOR healer when our group tried to take CE from them in MM yesterday.
Things like this should be addressed, not whether or not someone asked where to buy bags in Freeport.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:25 AM
Planar Protector

I'm one of the players that got mildly annoyed when people were being dumb in ooc, and wished that the staff would monitor it to ban those abusing the privilege. Hardly ever spoke in ooc either, except to ask questions "What level does Ghoulbane proc?" and LFG. But now that I've seen what happens when the channel is moderated, I regret ever wishing for it. The game is a lot more fun when Eunomia isn't around. No offense meant to her, but this really sucks.

I didn't really want to join either Empire or Good Guys before this happened as I've always preferred smaller guilds to the huge ones. Now though, I'm trying to decide which is best for me just so I can watch some casual chatter while playing. If the staff lacks the resources to moderate the channel except to kill it, I hope they just stop moderating entirely. I'd much rather be subjected to the inane ramblings of psychopaths than lose this powerful and important social platform altogether.

Forcing this change as they are creates an unwanted barrier between those new to the server and the majority of the population (end game guilds). I've seen high levels come help out newbies being griefed by fungi twinks after it's asked for in ooc. Why would you want to take something like that away?
Old 05-30-2015, 07:50 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm one of the players that got mildly annoyed when people were being dumb in ooc, and wished that the staff would monitor it to ban those abusing the privilege. Hardly ever spoke in ooc either, except to ask questions "What level does Ghoulbane proc?" and LFG. But now that I've seen what happens when the channel is moderated, I regret ever wishing for it. The game is a lot more fun when Eunomia isn't around. No offense meant to her, but this really sucks.

I didn't really want to join either Empire or Good Guys before this happened as I've always preferred smaller guilds to the huge ones. Now though, I'm trying to decide which is best for me just so I can watch some casual chatter while playing. If the staff lacks the resources to moderate the channel except to kill it, I hope they just stop moderating entirely. I'd much rather be subjected to the inane ramblings of psychopaths than lose this powerful and important social platform altogether.

Forcing this change as they are creates an unwanted barrier between those new to the server and the majority of the population (end game guilds). I've seen high levels come help out newbies being griefed by fungi twinks after it's asked for in ooc. Why would you want to take something like that away?
I understand the wanting to moderate the channel when it gets out of control, however this is taking it a step too far. We aren't allowed to be social in a channel designed for just that.

Reading through the other thread on this subject, I've seen things that really change my outlook on the GM. I thought they were just having a bad day, or just doing their job, but I can see from the screenshots from other posts that they really are just being a dick sometimes. It's like talking to an asshole cop, I'd rather shit glass than post in OOC now because I don't want to get bitched out after asking for some help.

The GM made it clear that they didn't wish to help me with my issue, and pointed me to players, so why even have them there in the first place? If they actually responded to the question that was posted in OOC like I expect a GUIDE would do instead of making us feel like we should just keep our mouths shut it would be different. If I'm directed to players for an answer, I'm going to ask players— and when I can't turn left in the game without seeing a purple screen, I'm going to ask OOC instead of waiting hours for a response on the forum.

Note: The GM referred to the bug BY NAME and then refused to answer my question. I later found on an old forum thread that it only required a restart of my client. Was it so hard for the GUIDE to pass that knowledge onto me before I had to drop group because of it. They didn't guide me toward anything, I typed the description in myself and found it a while later— sure it didn't take long, but I waited half an hour for the GM to respond, and then was instantly "dealt with" after responding to a post myself. In my opinion, something that prevents me from playing the game is more important that you being mad about someone congratulating another on a pk.

Make up your mind, do you want to help us, or are you just going to push issues under the rug?
Old 05-30-2015, 08:56 AM
Kobold

Keep in mind that someone said once, that they would, and I am not quoting verbatim, burn red to the ground and salt the earth and that person us enforcing the rules. I agree to some extent that /ooc was a near constant stream of stupidity and techtosterone(copyright) but going rail to rail is not the answer.
Arthos-Paladin
Old 05-30-2015, 09:10 AM
Planar Protector

I think getting rid of OOC was a troll by specific people who want to "ruin it" for everybody cause they suck and are losing.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:03 AM
Banned

There were some people that needed to be squelched. Loli graphically describing various sex scenarios for over 20 minutes comes to mind. Also people like Fell (Syft-X) ranting in ooc literally all day was stupid.

Some trash talk is always good fun, but there should be stated limits on trash talk/ranting/spamming/personal attacks that are enforced to prevent ooc from becomming a 24/7 trashcan. Current rules are hurting the server in a bad way, OOC is/was a great place for new players to communicate and for the community to get some laughs. There are enough non-shitty people on this server it wasnt always bad.

Abolish the current rule. IMO people should just turn on language filters, use ignore, and disable OOC if its such a problem but I guess that would be asking to much.
Closed Thread