Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Large Rat

Default Wine issues

I got EQ working in wine, and for the most part I'm happy with the result. I have run into a few problems I haven't found a solution for, though. I run into some weird problems with the mouse. I've found that I don't have problems as long as I turn virtual desktop off in wine and run in 800x600 windowed mode. Otherwise I have issues with UI components getting focus in the wrong spot. I tried switching to widescreen/fullscreen once (my ideal solution) and ended up making my client spazz out, where the UI messed up and if I switched back to windowed mode it'd pop back into fullscreen after a few seconds. Took awhile to get things back to my relatively peaceful 800x600. :P

Anyone run into any problems with that in wine? Any idea of the cause and or solution?

Also, I'm not sure if this is related to wine or not but I'm finding my health and mana bar fluctuating oddly. I'll be sitting down waiting for my hp to recharge and it will go forward and then back a bit. I think that might have been a problem back in 2000 when I was playing EQ last, but I'm not sure.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Fire Giant

Can't really say anything about Wine, but the HP/mana bar thing is normal here. It all works as it should serverside, the client just goes a bit mental.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can't really say anything about Wine, but the HP/mana bar thing is normal here. It all works as it should serverside, the client just goes a bit mental.
Oh, ok. Considering other people seem to be able to play EQ in wine just fine, it's refreshing to know that something isn't my fault. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Playing in an eight by six window with a trackpad is awkward as hell, though.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I got EQ working in wine, and for the most part I'm happy with the result. I have run into a few problems I haven't found a solution for, though. I run into some weird problems with the mouse. I've found that I don't have problems as long as I turn virtual desktop off in wine and run in 800x600 windowed mode. Otherwise I have issues with UI components getting focus in the wrong spot. I tried switching to widescreen/fullscreen once (my ideal solution) and ended up making my client spazz out, where the UI messed up and if I switched back to windowed mode it'd pop back into fullscreen after a few seconds. Took awhile to get things back to my relatively peaceful 800x600. :P

Anyone run into any problems with that in wine? Any idea of the cause and or solution?

Also, I'm not sure if this is related to wine or not but I'm finding my health and mana bar fluctuating oddly. I'll be sitting down waiting for my hp to recharge and it will go forward and then back a bit. I think that might have been a problem back in 2000 when I was playing EQ last, but I'm not sure.
Hi Bellum, glad to hear you got it working. What distribution are you running?

There are full-screen issues which may be bugs and seem to affect all distributions and Wine versions that I've seen. In my experience, on Wine under Fedora the mouse pointer cannot grab the screen in full-screen.

I do not have any issue with resolution however, unless I try to run in full-screen. I compensate for this by running windowed-mode and simply setting the 'WindowedHeight' and 'WindowedWidth' to around what my display is (I subtract -5 pixels from the height so I can see my task bar in XFCE).

You might want to check/test various options with your eqclient.ini, and you can find mine here as an example.

I cannot speak for the health/mana bar thing, I've never seen that.
Tzartole (62 MNK) epic 1.0
Old 09-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Large Rat

I'm on Arch Linux using the Fluxbox wm. And changing WindowedHeight/Width in eqclient.ini worked wonders, actually! Other than switching all the shaders that were crashing the game off, I'd been trying to set everything from within the game.

Now, is it possible to get the game to capture the mouse or to get the mouse to stick in the center of the screen when I turn mouse look on? That's the only awkwardness I've got left.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:49 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm on Arch Linux using the Fluxbox wm. And changing WindowedHeight/Width in eqclient.ini worked wonders, actually! Other than switching all the shaders that were crashing the game off, I'd been trying to set everything from within the game.

Now, is it possible to get the game to capture the mouse or to get the mouse to stick in the center of the screen when I turn mouse look on? That's the only awkwardness I've got left.
Anyone ever found a solution to the last part? I can only turn so far before i have to "grab again". Running arch with openbox.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Did you have any problems with 3D devices? I keep getting 'No 3D devices found'. I tinkered with the ini trying to remove any 3d requrements, no luck. I am running the NVIDIA proprietary drivers on Debian unstable with the most recent Debian Wine packages.