Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 12:45 PM
Banned

Default Rage-quitting my bad computer

A lot of the PC games I play suffer from a completely debilitating mouse lag which makes playing them absolutely impossible.

There IS need to be upset, I'm sick of it, and via the power of credit cards, I'm rage-quitting my bad computer.

What should I get?
Desktop? Laptop?
Should I get one of those Alien computers?
Roughly how much money should my credit card company be prepared to spend?

Halp!
Old 07-28-2014, 12:49 PM
Fire Giant

1. Desktop. Laptops work...for P99 because it's old. But if you want to do other games too (seems like you do) i'd recommend desktop. Besides...why you gotta play vidya on the go? If you're out of the house you should be doing real life!!!
2. Alienware is nice but, depending on your budget, i'd say no. Build it yourself. Minimal research and it's easy. And building a pc is like 3x cheaper than buying stock of any brand and 40x cheaper than buying the same specs stock in a mac :P
3. if you build it, for a good enough computer to do most anything, if not everything, max graphics with little to no problems? Depending where you shop and brands ~800-1000 probably. For EVERYTHING including software, OS, and peripherals.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc - view the sidebar
http://www.logicalincrements.com/ - find a price point and this will get you started. Add OS (~$100), a decent monitor (~$100-150), and mouse/keyboard (varies) if you need them.

Get a wifi PCI card if you are used to that with a laptop, although hard line is a better connection.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Sarnak

build one. build a nice one for a little over $1,000, or build a budget PC for like $500. Anything you buy/build will run EQ fine
Old 07-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Planar Protector

I prefer to build my own, but if you're looking for one thats built for you, ibuypower.com is a great resource IMO.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:26 PM
Banned

And just to double-check, does it sound reasonable that almost every "slightly modern" game ("modern" = games released between 2008-2012) I try to play on my current computer (Dell Latitude laptop E5430) suffers from extremely debilitating mouse lag?

I also encounter this mouse lag (to a lesser-degree) sometimes during normal operation of the computer (outside of 3D gaming).

It happens about 50% of the time when I am trying to play p99. Pretty much 100% for Team Fortress 2. I'd say it happens about 5% of the time outside of these applications, but when it happens, my mouse jumps erratically all over the screen, causing me to click on the wrong thing, some mouse clicks and movements are missed entirely, I have to click things twice or three times to get the click to work, etc...

I have 8 GB of RAM and 4 processors... I don't understand why this computer is having issues with modern games (and even old games with FAR less system requirements). I especially don't understand how or why this computer could have a hard time running Everquest.

Yes, I am using the integrated onboard Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-28-2014, 01:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Yes, I am using the integrated onboard Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver.
just skimmed thru, but I would say the integrated graphics card is your problem. standalone graphic cards do wonders.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:00 PM
Planar Protector

Also make sure things like your disk defrag arent running in the background or any antivirus you have isnt running scan in the background. Things like that will slow down older laptops.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 PM
Sarnak

Your laptop isn't that bad, besides the lack of a dedicated GPU.

Lenovo makes good laptops for a decent price.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarprime [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your laptop isn't that bad, besides the lack of a dedicated GPU.
That's what I'm saying! 4 processors and 8GB of RAM, yet I can't reliably click on my bag slots in a 15 year-old game... riiiight...