View Poll Results: labels?
ya 2 22.22%
na 2 22.22%
cheney 7 77.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Sarnak

Question why is caffeine/nicotine content not on product labels?

these otc DRUG seem like the only ones from alcohol to zzzquil that don't require the dosage potency on the label.

It'd be nice to know how strong your energy drink or coffee is for instance. Is there an app for that?
Old 08-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Kobold

Some items list caffeine contents, such as soda cans. It can usually be found near the UPC code. Coca-Cola, for example, has 33 mg of caffeine per 12 fluid ounces, if I recall correctly.

Nicotine you're shit out of luck. But as I recall, 0.5-1.0 mg/kg is the LD50 for an adult human, which is somewhere in the 30-60 mg range.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Kobold

Coffee is generally accepted as 100 mg of caffeine per 8 oz. cup, as well (Or perhaps it is 12 oz., I may remember incorrectly).
Old 08-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Sarnak

Got a coke can right here, didn't know that but I see it. That's a nice courtesy of coca-cola co. Would just be nice to have it prominently in the active ingredients list. To see oh man that mountain dew got 70mg and the coke only got 46mg, I know which 1 I'm buying to powergame with tonight
Old 08-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Aviak

Usually, caffeine content is listed separately from the standard nutrition/supplement facts table. Finer print. Look harder.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Aviak

Legislation will probably force most companies to list it more prominently soon, now that products other than coffee produced chiefly for caffeine are becoming increasingly popular... 5-hours energy, etc.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Banned

they are not Drugs(tm)
Old 08-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichomachean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some items list caffeine contents, such as soda cans. It can usually be found near the UPC code. Coca-Cola, for example, has 33 mg of caffeine per 12 fluid ounces, if I recall correctly.

Nicotine you're shit out of luck. But as I recall, 0.5-1.0 mg/kg is the LD50 for an adult human, which is somewhere in the 30-60 mg range.
Smoker's prefer a specific brand. I believe this has a lot to do with varying chemical content/quantity that their addiction basically becomes specific to.

This is a smoker who's quit repeatedly and still smokes etc etc. Cigs current $10-12/pack in NY with an expected increase within the next couple years. More than 50% of this cost is direct tax - $4.35/pack NY state tax, and $1.05 federal tax.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasted [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Legislation will probably force most companies to list it more prominently soon, now that products other than coffee produced chiefly for caffeine are becoming increasingly popular... 5-hours energy, etc.
think that's already the case with the store bought stuff like sodas and energy drinks. don't think that coffee shops are going to have to, but then again a cup of coffee is better for you than a soda or energy drink.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHancock [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Smoker's prefer a specific brand. I believe this has a lot to do with varying chemical content/quantity that their addiction basically becomes specific to.

This is a smoker who's quit repeatedly and still smokes etc etc. Cigs current $10-12/pack in NY with an expected increase within the next couple years. More than 50% of this cost is direct tax - $4.35/pack NY state tax, and $1.05 federal tax.
american spirit, light blue pack runs 7-8.50 in houston depending on locale. for some reason only those and camels(blue) don't make me physically ill after half a pack.