Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Planar Protector

Beethoven was the famous deaf composer, though it wasn't quite as Gary Oldman protrayed it in Immortal Beloved. Beethoven didn't really need to "feel" his music though I'm sure it was nice sometimes.

I read an account of the debut of Beethoven's Third Piano Concerto and for one reason or another (I'm not sure if the piano was tuned high or low or the orchestra was or what) he ended up having to play it either a half-step lower or higher than he had written it.

Schubert died from syphilis at the tender age of 31.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Banned

I sometimes pretend I'm deaf and jerk off by only feeling the vibrations.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Planar Protector

Hopefully I can provoke an interesting classical piano discussion here!

The Wanderer Fantasy by Schubert I mentioned earlier is considered Schubert's most technically demanding piece - one time at a gathering of friends Schubert himself played through it but upon reaching a difficult passage in the fourth movement, he stopped, stood up, and exclaimed "let the devil play it" or something like that lol because it's a motherfucker.

Little known fact: the chord progression from the Eagle's Hotel California was ripped off from the fourth movement of Schubert's Wanderer Fantasy.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:44 PM
Banned

Wasn't the flight of the bumble bee based off a women's orgasm... I'm sure szeth would know!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Planar Protector

Such an overrated overplayed piece of music, though not really bad if you discount the stupid hype it gets!

Check out some Russian Easter Overture if you're into the Rimsky-Korsakov thing, though it's not piano.

Rachmaninoff's Second and Third Piano Concertos are the greatest music to come out of Russia.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Kobold

Leaving Maestro for another guild was a nice gesture. I've changed my mind about FE.
That's the kind of stuff I like to hear about.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Kobold

Beethoven can indeed do no wrong.

Nor can Schubert, as far as I am concerned. His composition of lieder is far away and the best, though Mahler could have given him a run for his money, and Strauss has some beautiful works as well.

I think the only Schubert piece I find slightly contrived and boring is his unfinished symphony, but you know, it's probably one of his most famous non-chamber work.

I am hijacking the discussion further; German vs. all other European schools of music. Aside from Chopin, and some Debussy, most French music does not move me the same way Germanic compositions tend to. English works tend to end up boring. Italians have a varied history, and Italian opera stands out.

Russians just kick ass at romanticism and gritty, visceral music. I love Rachmaninov, Mussorgsky, Stravinsky (though he's half French :P), Shostakovich...nothing better than Russian classical music if you need mood music.

Getting back to Beethoven, his "Funeral March" sonata (Opus 26 in A-flat major) is another of my favorites. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Kobold

Double post: mad.

Also, cello concertos are pretty fantastic as well. Rachmaninoff, Shostakovich, Elgar, Dvorak, even the Beethoven triple concerto...can't get much better for solo instrument. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-25-2013, 09:26 PM
Kobold

Triple post: MOAR RAGE!

I am major derp and forgot Chopin was Polish, though he spent a fair amount of time in Paris after leaving Poland due to the 1830 revolution. So I stand correcting myself. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]