Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 12:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
Paladins are the best group tanks in the game.
I think this is debatable. Paladins are great for pickup groups with bad players, but if you actually have a competent Monk/Enchanter then a lot of the value goes down. Meanwhile, Warriors provide more dps, which means more XP, and discs if you are going for something tough. For example, I'd rather do Chardok with a Warrior tanking than a Paladin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzo
including VS, I've done it dunno where that theory comes from they can't tank it -- considering VS is a runes, dps + tank agro fight you'd prefer a hybrid over a warrior
I mean, it's obviously possible if you have a lot of enchanters. Since virtually no one wants to play a raiding enchanter, it's much better to have a Warrior with evasive who will take 50% as much damage and thus require 50% as many runes to blow some prayers or puppet strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzo
I think mobs like Wuushi, Gozzrem, Lendiniara the Keeper, Telkorenar and Derakor will be the peak of hybrid tanks
Paladins can theoretically tank any target that can't one-round them, given sufficient clerics . In practice this probably means anything that doesn't flurry. I have complete confidence the Awakened or Aftermath CH chains could keep a Paladin up vs, say, Lord Feshlak. It might even keep them awake. But, as you say, there isn't much point. I would be curious to see Opmeter or Pint try to do some NTOV dragons though.
Last edited by Raev; 08-28-2016 at 12:44 AM..
Old 08-28-2016, 12:45 AM
Banned

I hope a guild does let a hybrid tank said mobs. Would be good 2 give em a pat on the back.

Paladins didnt start getting decent till luclin/pop. (Tanking and in general)

AAs were huge, also the undead bane spells they started to get in addition to stun spells that would stun for 5-6-7 seconds.

I remember on live soloing CoM on my paladin because the bane buff, 25% self haste, and using a jeldorin. Great fun, miss those days.
Last edited by Farzo; 08-28-2016 at 12:57 AM..
Old 08-28-2016, 12:51 AM
Banned

Valor of Marr Increase Attack Speed by 25%

Quellious' Word of Tranquility Stun(10.00 sec/61), Decrease Hitpoints by 108

Instrument of Nife Add Proc: Condemnation of Nife
1: Decrease Hitpoints by 165 (L1) to 406 (L41)

*moans* *touches his naughty area*
Old 08-28-2016, 09:54 AM
Planar Protector

Em tanked a full Lord Koi once.
Slowable dragons easy times.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:31 PM
Sarnak

Paladins don't get really good until PoP when they have several fast, cheap stuns on short cooldowns. Cease and Desist fix a problem that the class has until then: its aggro largely depends on a level 30 and a level 50-something stun spells which cost a bit too much mana to sustain frequent use if the group is chain-pulling, and have kind of long recast timers.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:25 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brut [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Em tanked a full Lord Koi once.
Slowable dragons easy times.

What's that sig all about
Old 08-28-2016, 02:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think this is debatable. Paladins are great for pickup groups with bad players, but if you actually have a competent Monk/Enchanter then a lot of the value goes down.
Well, you have to remember that pickup groups doing group content are how the vast majority of people on live and P99 have experienced the game. So, other than a few niche situations you really have to stretch to make it debatable for the bulk of people playing EQ. Also, good groupmates still benefit quite a lot from the increased efficiency a Paladin brings to the table.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What's that sig all about
http://wiki.project1999.com/Essence_Lens_Quest
Closed Thread