Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Fire Giant

Default Interesting post, and a warning..

Secrets posted this over on FoH, but its pertinent to what is going on right now here. The bolded part is why we need Uthgaard back as pvp sever GM. The faster we get that 1/3rd greifer elemtent gone, the better. Secrets went onto say that that griefer element drove off a large percentage of other players, leading to a spiral downward in the boxes.

The "griefers" back in 1999 were a small percentage. From the forum posts here, its likely to be half the players... and with the only professed "anti" RPK guild lead by a known trainer and someone who has been banned multiple times... well, it makes me worried for the server.

A shame there can't be a subscription attached to these accounts, that would filter out so much trash that just wants to ruin things.

Quote:
I shut it down for a few reasons:

1) Time involvement. I could not afford to just sit there doing nothing but that server. It was becoming like a second school/job to me.

2) Hackusations and general complaints about players interacting with each other. A lot of people (I'd say like... 35%) were cheating. I never finished that anti-cheat completely, but Rogean finished it after I provided a framework. That framework was picked up as a false positive by AVs, and then I had to make a new framework. That's what is in use on P1999 today.

About 35% were there for the sake of trolling other players.
And by trolling, I meant to the point where they would grief someone off the server. Not to do battle with others.

The rest were legitimate people trying to have fun.

3) Depend on the two PVP servers I have ran, there were different issues. Qeynos vs Freeport had the issue of no general direction or goal. There was also the issue of the EQEmu source having almost everything wrong or geared to make the numbers look right on ProjectEQ, the live emulator. I tried to follow PEQ's numbers but didn't know enough about classic PVP to close all the loopholes or achieve perfect balance. I also did not know what the playerbase wanted; some wanted WoW-style PvP, and a majority wanted it to be the next VZTZ. I did not want it, at all, to be the next VZTZ.

Conflicting ideas with custom ideas destroyed that server, as well as my sanity from trying to maintain the playerbase and keep them happy. When it shut down, there was still a considerable amount of people online for a custom PVP server, which is 50-100.

As for VZTZ v4, that was done on a whim and was generally something to hold people off until Red99. As soon as I saw Red99 was in sights, I dropped the v4 project.

Also, Let me tell you this right now -- About 99% of the work done on P1999 was not done by me. I fixed minor client issues and provided the framework to do so. I may have fixed a quest or two back a while... I might be "in-the-know", but I do not claim to do everything, especially with how little I have contributed to the project at large. I am a person who does what seems impossible and tackles that head-on. I don't like doing things related to content, I am not a designer, I am a coder. I would rather make the tools to do so instead of make something out of something that already exists. Maybe it's just because I like challenges; I do not know.

I have been researching the early stages of getting the godawful UI back (the classic one, not the velious one.) and to be honest, it's completely possible, SOE never removed anything from the graphics DLL that wouldn't make it possible. Heck, while learning about the old UI elements and how that is toggled, I learned that the velious UI was basically an XML-style interface that was hardcoded into the client! It's pretty cool how they changed it into an XML interface.

Anyway, that's what happened to my server (and me, for that matter.)
Old 10-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

Who is Uthgaard, and why is he so good at stopping/preventing those things? And FoH is Fires of Heaven?

This was a good post. VZTZ was, of course, ruined in part by griefing and hacking. Another issue I think was the attitude that the game was supposed to take place at max level with raid gear. Casual play was always viable on live; without it almost everyone quits.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Sarnak

I bet palemoon was also disapoint when y2k didnt happen lol your post reminds me of...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...385F8350-prod3

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...aya-2012_n.htm
http://www.exitmundi.nl/Maya.htm

QQ,QQ,QQ,QQ,QQ,QQ,QQ,QQ,QQ,QQ. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (7.2 KB, 248 views)
Last edited by Sorath; 10-07-2011 at 01:05 PM..
Old 10-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

It's not at all a stretch to imagine this server being destroyed by the VZTZ crowd. They've already done it to 3+ incarnations of emulated eq pvp play...
Old 10-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Planar Protector

I really wish we could have the population for multiple servers. I think everyone wants to play the ruleset they did on live for years.

There is no point in thinking you are going to eliminate the griefers. They represent a pretty die hard and large segment of the population. Honestly with bind camping being legal and xp deaths this environment kind of fosters them.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 10-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Sarnak

PVP is ludacrwisss !!!
Reweesee Red 99 I wanna eat ur childrensss!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mike-tyson-don-king-042109-lg-97080938.jpg (33.0 KB, 252 views)
Old 10-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Banned

This pvp server will start fine but will end up bad if the players act like a bunch of fucking retards. Players need to:

1) Not hack/cheat - There is no reason to hack/cheat on a 13 year old games emulated pvp server. This is the main reason why servers fail.

2) Stop whining - if your guild got shit napped by another in fear, live with it and go do something else. No reason to have a 4 hour shit storm involving GM's who could be better servered helping people with legit problems.

3) Stop griefing - If you kill someone, say GF and move on. I cannot tell you how good it was to have a very close 1v1 fight with someone, win and end up being friends. I did not corpse camp him, I did not /tell him how much he sucked. I said, GF, you can come get your body.

4) If you die, deal with it - It is a pvp server, you die LEGIT - deal with it. If you suspect hacks, report it to a GM and have them look into it.

5) No training - Accidents happen, that is understandabe. But repeated trains (see sojourner in K&B) is completely retarded. Go do something else if you cannot win legit.

There are probably more but these are the basics. If the players just followed these steps, the server could be great. If not, it will be complete shit in a matter of months.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Who is Uthgaard
Uthgaard was one of the server's GMs up until a few months ago. He was basically the server police, dealing with everything negative and keeping people under control. He was a blunt, abrasive bastard which made it difficult to deal with him if you weren't one of the troublemakers yourself, but a blunt bastard was what the server needed, and he was the right guy to do it. You don't keep a bunch of asshole players under control with nice words. That's why he would be perfect for a PvP server. As far as I can tell, he quit because the head GMs refused to permaban the 365 players who were caught hacking a few months back, giving them a more lenient punishment instead because they didn't want to delete that many accounts.

As for this server, it'll be better than VZTZ. There'll be many more players, and the majority won't be from VZTZ which was a fairly small and insular server with a tight-knit (if volatile) community. They had a kind of hivemind and it was accepted and expected for people to behave in a certain way. With many more players who weren't part of that, this server will be different. There will still be a lot of dicks around, but they won't ruin the server unless the GMs neglect their duties and allow them to do so. The anti-hacking measures alone should prevent the biggest problem that VZTZ had. A good chunk of the VZTZ players won't stick around when it turns out leveling takes months and griefing is not met with unanimous praise and circlejerk high-fives. Some of the VZTZers can function fine in a more civilized environment and mostly enjoyed that server's atmosphere as a kind of hobby where they could get away with all kinds of shit. Others were unintelligent assclowns outside of the game too, so just make note of these (they're very recognizable) and ignore them.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Planar Protector

we just need more active guides/mgs/whatever..right now the betaserver is flooded by childish comments nonstop in ooc
Old 10-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Banned

We would not need more GM's if people just behave.
Closed Thread