Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 12:50 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Default Variance Changes

I'd like to clarify some misinformation that was provided with the latest patch, starting with the lack of a patch note and then an error in confirmation on my part.

Back when we were discussing changes about extending the window of a mob's spawn when it fell within the last 15%, I wrote some code to show as an example. Turns out that code ended up staying in and I had forgotten about it, and it went live with the latest compile.

So...

Patch Note: Respawn timers that fall within the last 15% of a window will now be extended by a random amount up to 24 additional hours, repeating accumlatively until the window is under 85% for total potential spawn time. This currently applies to all mobs who have any variance at all, but will be adjusted next patch to only include mobs that have a minimum base spawn of 2 days or more.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Last edited by Rogean; 03-04-2013 at 12:56 PM..
Old 03-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

Why was this solution favored over this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Here is what nilbog and I are currently planning/designing/brainstorming:

We will be cutting the variance in half on the existing raid spawns.

We will be implementing an FTE notice of some sort, whether this is an emote or some type of message.

We will be implementing a simulated patch day respawn. Here is how it will work.

The server will pick one day of each week (Random 1 to 7, Sunday through Saturday). It will then pick a random time. I will not disclose the range of the possible times, but it will only include afternoon and evening hours, so as to give the best chance for the most people to benefit from it.

A serverwide message will go off indicating that the simulated patch day respawn has or will be taking effect shortly. All raid mobs will (either immediately, delayed, or spanned, tbd) respawn.

These respawns will NOT affect the normal respawn times of the mob. For example. If Talendor was killed on Monday, and on death the server determined he would spawn again on Sunday. A simulated patch day occurs on Thursday, his death on Thursday will not reset his scheduled respawn time on Sunday.
Exception: If the mob's spawn time is scheduled to occur within (To be determined, probably either 6 or 12 hours) of the simulated patch day respawn, it will calculate a new spawn time for the mob as it would had he been killed normally, when he dies from the simulated respawn.
..when one is almost the complete opposite of the other, and when the overwhelming majority of players supported reducing the variance?
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 03-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah this code is good but it needs the windows cut Down or mobs with 92 hours just is to much when a mobs in window for 5 days (116 or so hours)

-Shinko Guild Leader <Safe Space> Green
Old 03-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Planar Protector

Wait someone do the math what the maximum time a mob could spawn ...

-Shinko Guild Leader <Safe Space> Green
Old 03-04-2013, 01:35 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah this code is good but it needs the windows cut Down or mobs with 92 hours just is to much when a mobs in window for 5 days (116 or so hours)
It's not so much if you aren't sitting around on it's spawn point waiting for it.

Hiyyyoooo

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 03-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Fire Giant

I wonder if someone's going to take a hit out on me now.

:|
Old 03-04-2013, 01:39 PM
VIP / Contributor

the idea (and i could be wrong, Rogean please correct me if i am) is that if the variance is shortened it will increase the # of players poopsocking.

whereas, with the variance having a chance to reset, players are less likely to poopsock knowing it could be 6 hrs up to 30hrs until pop.

ultimately it's up to the players to decide how they wish to spend their time, you will always have guilds using trackers, but i expect to see a lot less of 100 people on VS or on trak or on any other raid mob spawn spot, because it adds a higher sense of randomness to when the pop will happen

<3

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 03-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ultimately it's up to the players to decide how they wish to spend their time, you will always have guilds using trackers, but i expect to see a lot less of 100 people on VS or on trak or on any other raid mob spawn spot, because it adds a higher sense of randomness to when the pop will happen

<3
Never underestimate the power of pixels. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not so much if you aren't sitting around on it's spawn point waiting for it.

Hiyyyoooo
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Hiyyyoooo
I think he is trying to say you guys brought this on yourselves. Enjoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]