Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 03:52 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default New Magician - Looking for tips on gearing

I've recently been playing a Mage and I am totally in love with it. Only thing is, I am still wearing all the gear I've started with. I have been keeping tabs on the wiki and seeing what I need for Pre-planar. At the moment I have been saving up for a new robe The Robe of the Oracle to be exact. So far after farming the Nybright Sisters for a day I have saved up about 650 Plat.

The main thing is I don't know when or if someone is selling it and I just in general need a little help in knowing what is "actually" something I should aim for. Like is the Pre-Planar stuff the only thing I need to worry about or can I try and find other stuff? All I know is that this is the longest I have played a character with the same gear I started with at Level 1. Thanks for anyone that gives me some tips!

Currently level 15 and my toons name is Dalitrius.
Last edited by Gondule; 03-16-2017 at 04:05 AM.. Reason: Adding another link.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:12 AM
Sarnak

I do got a robe u can have. Is on par with one your looking for. Can hit me up in game today/ tomm if I'm on. Names Retllon. Can prolly snag u a prim/secondary easy peasy as well I imagine. Something to help you along the way. Best to save your plat for spells really.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:16 AM
Fire Giant

The nice thing about mages is that they don't really need any gear besides focus items in order to be good. Focus items are important though, they make your pet have more HPs by a considerable amount (and visually the pets get bigger which is nice [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])). With your 650 plats you might be able to buy all components for one focus item already, that's what i would suggest investing in. Some of the needed items can be farmed by you starting in the 20ties if you want to go that road.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:45 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The nice thing about mages is that they don't really need any gear besides focus items in order to be good. Focus items are important though, they make your pet have more HPs by a considerable amount (and visually the pets get bigger which is nice [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])). With your 650 plats you might be able to buy all components for one focus item already, that's what i would suggest investing in. Some of the needed items can be farmed by you starting in the 20ties if you want to go that road.
This.

If I was starting from scratch, my first gear goal would be the focus item torch for leveling.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:14 PM
Sarnak

Can maybe take you to Najena tomm and get some drops. Handful of epic pieces for epic there too.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:12 PM
Fire Giant

To gear a mage, you need stones to summon pets. That is all.

Source: 55 mage
Old 03-16-2017, 09:17 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Firstly I would like to say I am truly grateful for all the help and responses! Now I have a better understanding of what to focus on for my toon and that helps a ton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoink1986 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I do got a robe u can have. Is on par with one your looking for. Can hit me up in game today/ tomm if I'm on. Names Retllon. Can prolly snag u a prim/secondary easy peasy as well I imagine. Something to help you along the way. Best to save your plat for spells really.
That would help a ton and I will definitely whisper you when I logon, thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The nice thing about mages is that they don't really need any gear besides focus items in order to be good. Focus items are important though, they make your pet have more HPs by a considerable amount (and visually the pets get bigger which is nice )). With your 650 plats you might be able to buy all components for one focus item already, that's what i would suggest investing in. Some of the needed items can be farmed by you starting in the 20ties if you want to go that road.
I have grouped with a Mage that I think had some focus items they were steins, do all the focus items show up on the Magician wiki page? I'm guessing they can double as Prim/Sec slots? Or are they always Sec? Anyways, I will definitely invest my plat into that if I can find someone willing to sell one to me. Thanks a ton for pointing this out to me.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:48 AM
Fire Giant

I was writing about those quests:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Broom_Of_Trilon_Quest
http://wiki.project1999.com/Shovel_Of_Ponz_Quest
http://wiki.project1999.com/Stein_Of_Ulissa_Quest
http://wiki.project1999.com/Torch_Of_Alna_Quest

As has been said, the torch might be the most important if you solo. In group situations all the other 3 will be usefull depending on situation. The same is true if you don't intend to research the research only pets and you are stuck with just 1 or 2 of them.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:54 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Okay, that will help a lot I think I will definitely try my best to just get all of them considering they'll all have uses like you said, thanks!
Old 03-17-2017, 08:53 AM
Kobold

I think Pyrion is right. Just get those items and you're set well into your 40's. You can pick up mana items along the way. AC is not an issue and INT items will come much more easily once you are into your 40's-50's.
Closed Thread