Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Kobold

Default Tricks for faster loading times? SSD didn't do much...

Hi,
Some people recommended I upgraded to SSD for quicker loading times. It hasn't seemed to make a difference. It still takes 10-20 seconds to zone. I am running EQlite client off the ssd as C drive. My OS (win7) is on the sdd as well. Here are my specs:

Phenom X3 720 @ 3.2 ghz
8gb Ram
120gb intel SSD
GTX 660 Ti BOOST

I'm on comcast, typical lag is 100ms.

Any tips for speeding up loading?
Old 09-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Planar Protector

RAMDrive

If a SSD honestly didn't speed you up, it's either not setup or correctly or there's something wrong with like your video card.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by quido [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
RAMDrive

If a SSD honestly didn't speed you up, it's either not setup or correctly or there's something wrong with like your video card.
Yea, I'd recommend a ramdrive.

Unsure what the issue is; I use an SSD and I load fairly quickly. Almost always the first to load while porting etc.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Fire Giant

overclock cpu
Old 09-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Banned

I load into most zones in 5-10sec depending on zone. Skyfire and TT in more like 12-15.
That's with an i7m 2.5ghz dell xps13, intelhd4000 onboard gfx shit and 512g intel SSD.

Identical times to my PC which is an i5 2500, 7970 and most recently gtx680, 32gb ram and 512g intel SSD.

So don't know what's wrong with your setup except maybe CPU speed?
Old 09-15-2013, 11:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motec [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I load into most zones in 5-10sec depending on zone. Skyfire and TT in more like 12-15.
That's with an i7m 2.5ghz dell xps13, intelhd4000 onboard gfx shit and 512g intel SSD.

Identical times to my PC which is an i5 2500, 7970 and most recently gtx680, 32gb ram and 512g intel SSD.

So don't know what's wrong with your setup except maybe CPU speed?
32 gigs of ram!?!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:29 AM
Kobold

With that setup he should be zoning fast. 3.2 tri core is plenty for EQ even on max settings. An 660 is all good, unless it is a compatibility issue somewhere along the way which is hard to detect if one piece of equip isn't working with another.
I got about the same setup an just installed SSD recently and I zone about 5secs max.
First off do you still have your HDD connected? If so, Did you run DBAN on it?
If no HDD connected than probably not a problem there unless there is one and will get into that if so. But if not...
Than it is probably your internet , 100ms is up there if your wanting fast zoning at least 50 or under would be a goal. I run at about 40 norm but than it is 100-110 if I stream and can notice a little bit slower zoning.

One thing you can try is under options in the game the tab where you mess with the sky graphics etc there is a tab for loading screen art you can set this to none for a small increase in zone time, IMO.

Cpu: AMD Phenom x4 975 Black Edition 3.6 Ghz
Ram: 8gb Corsair XMS 2 ddr2
Graphics: EVGA GTX 480 MB: Asrock A770de
Internet: Fiber optic 20mbps
Drive: Kingston v300 120gb ssd

Turp --- Purp
60 Shm 60 Wiz
Last edited by Turp_SmokinPurp; 09-16-2013 at 07:41 AM..
Old 09-16-2013, 09:42 AM
Planar Protector

http://eqtitan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2089

Makes your game look like shit, but it will fly. Meant for boxers, but don't box on this server. It is Illegal.

Tanrin,Rinat,Sprucewaynee
Old 09-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp_SmokinPurp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With that setup he should be zoning fast. 3.2 tri core is plenty for EQ even on max settings. An 660 is all good, unless it is a compatibility issue somewhere along the way which is hard to detect if one piece of equip isn't working with another.
I got about the same setup an just installed SSD recently and I zone about 5secs max.
First off do you still have your HDD connected? If so, Did you run DBAN on it?
If no HDD connected than probably not a problem there unless there is one and will get into that if so. But if not...
Than it is probably your internet , 100ms is up there if your wanting fast zoning at least 50 or under would be a goal. I run at about 40 norm but than it is 100-110 if I stream and can notice a little bit slower zoning.

One thing you can try is under options in the game the tab where you mess with the sky graphics etc there is a tab for loading screen art you can set this to none for a small increase in zone time, IMO.

Cpu: AMD Phenom x4 975 Black Edition 3.6 Ghz
Ram: 8gb Corsair XMS 2 ddr2
Graphics: EVGA GTX 480 MB: Asrock A770de
Internet: Fiber optic 20mbps
Drive: Kingston v300 120gb ssd

Thanks for the responses. I have 4 other hard drives connected that are used for storage. Would that be affecting it somehow? None of the OS or EQ files are stored on them. I did not run DBAN on them, I just deleted the old partitions and started using them. My guess is that it is my internet. Not much I can do except upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0, which I've been putting off. I'll do that and get rid of the loading screen pic and see what happens.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by quido [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
RAMDrive

Also, I should note that the SSD did speed up everything else like boot times (9 seconds to get computer completely booted up), program starts, and other games. It is just everquest that runs exactly the same as it did on my old 5400 RPM hard drive.