Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 07:05 AM
Aviak

Default Mesmerize (level 4 spell) or Dazzle (level 49 spell).

Hey, besides the longer duration, why should an enchanter use Dazzle instead of Mesmerize ?

My main concern is about charm breaks, mesmerize seems long enough to me to have time to tash and charm again (and it also uses less mana). Which spell do u guys use (even at level 60).
Am I missing something ? For example, does dazzle resist less often than mesmerize ?

Thanks for help !
Old 03-21-2017, 07:09 AM
Planar Protector

the duration is the only difference.

you should be primarily using the level 4 mez and only using longer mezzes when necessary
Old 03-21-2017, 07:12 AM
Fire Giant

If you need to hold mobs in a group situation for a long time than the level 4 spell can get tedious. For charm breaks and some light CC, use level 4 spell.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:59 AM
Sarnak

I mostly Solo/Duo on my enchanter. I typically only use dazzle if I'm in a spot where I need to recover some mana. Most of the time I find myself using the aoe mez, just because it stops the whole situation and allows me to put myself in the right position to proceed successfully. Only time I find myself using the level 4 mez is if I want to memblur/heal pet or I'm at a static spot where the likely hood of getting more than 2 mobs is near impossible.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:27 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarvesareop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey, besides the longer duration, why should an enchanter use Dazzle instead of Mesmerize ?
Be warned: If you want to refresh/overwrite a mez, it will only do so if the new spell is the same or less duration. So if you are in a heated moment and mez the mob using only lvl 4 mez, you only have a 24 seconds refresh available. (Although this is true, if you time the duration correctly, you can actually overwrite the spell at the last second before the mob is unmezed with a higher duration spell but this takes finesse/gamtexttriggers). If you try to cast dazzle on the mob, it will not take effect. If something hairy is coming down the pipeline, I recommend to cast dazzle first and then mez the small stuff/AoE mez before you just lvl 4 mez everything you see. This is more so in crazy pulls and places like Hate where you should mez appropriately for each scenario and see what the other main enchanters are using in their mez lineup.

Note: Lvl 4 mez has a higher memblur chance than any other mez innately so it should be your #1 go-to CC spell on spellbar gem 1 at all times aside from root if you play on blue because of the GCD bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarvesareop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My main concern is about charm breaks, mesmerize seems long enough to me to have time to tash and charm again (and it also uses less mana). Which spell do u guys use (even at level 60).
Am I missing something ? For example, does dazzle resist less often than mesmerize ??
I normally handle my charm breaks like this:

1.) Color skew*
2.) Jboots/Glamour rod GCD reset
3.) Lvl 4 mez (Buys me 24 seconds)
4.) Jboots/Glamour rod GCD reset
5.) Theft of Thought (If applicable)
6.) Tashania (to refresh)
7.) Jboots/Glamour rod GCD reset
8.) Charm

The whole process takes about 4-5 seconds to lock the mob back because of how fast you can cast due to the GCD reset of a clicky item.

*I Skew first because every pet I charm has Shissar epic haste on it because I tend to solo a lot...Color flux is too short to recast allure/Boltran's and color slant takes too long to cast and might potentially get you in a nasty stun lock before you can even cast the spell (remember this pet had epic haste lol) this goes without saying that Rune and bedlam are on all the time [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by kgallowaypa; 03-21-2017 at 08:39 AM..
Old 03-21-2017, 08:39 AM
Aviak

Thanks for answers guys.

I got another question : If you want to refresh/overwrite a mez, it will only do so if the new spell is the same or less durationDoes this means that u can refresh rapture (that costs a lot of mana) with level 4 mezz ?
I'm thinking about group situations at king camp. I have lots of problems to mezz them besides using rapture, how do u guys proceed ?

Thanks !!!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:47 AM
Sarnak

King is a very fun and active enchanter group. When I was down there I primarily used root cc because the MR of those mushrooms is nutz. Pet would be a froglok from the little moat on the other room or the pather that goes between the entrance to the cave area. I was level 58 when I seriously started doing King as anything below 58 was really bad for resists. In the King group specifically, I believe I still had lvl 4 mez for charm breaks but for hairy situations, Dazzle/rapture was my go-to spell (But it is costly as you know). I believe you should be able to overwrite rapture with mez but its been some time, just got back into p99 a week ago from a 5 month hiatus.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:56 PM
Fire Giant

The others have already answered the basic this spell vs that spell question, but I wanted to weigh in on CC in general.

Don't forget using root as a CC option. Typically longer time a mob can be locked down per mana than a mes.

Also, the mes/calm/re-mes til blur/let the unwanted add walk away trick is great. Works very well with the L4 mes because it's basically no mana.

For example, when I was feeling saucy Clr duo'ing in HS and I'd pull 5-10 mobs at a time with my charm pet eating the HT's. As they pile on I'd stand behind the pet, color slant, and I could mes/clicky/fetter before stun wore off. 2 CC's per stun, backing off the pet.

Back up, rinse, repeat. There were times I had nice little lines of 10+ merbs in a row waiting their turn to get raped by my pet.

For King groups specifically, I'd be calm blurring adds off whenever I could depending on the group's DPS, and only mes'ing casters. But I hate Sebilis. So you'll probably never see me doing that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comoc1
Offering a 10k bounty for Soeki's or Jigoku's suspension pm me logs of GM discussion and fraps link to collect

Uyan <Aftermath>
Old 03-23-2017, 08:31 AM
Sarnak

most important thing about your different cc spells other than cast/recast times, mana, duration etc is knowing mob resistances; what xpac era, mob type/level/innate mr resistances, etc

your weaker "fixed" duration mez's have an mr value of 0: mesmerize/mesmerization 24s, entrance 72s

stronger "up to" duration mez's have an mr value of -10: fascination 36s, glamour of kintaz 54s, and rapture 24s w/ a value of -1000

note root is just a lvl/mr check as opposed to a lvl/mr/cha and whether or not that mob is flagged immunte to stun/mez check so youll be using roots more against wyverns or giants, especially lvl 4 root for its quicker fade, or immoblize for its quicker cast/recast time when every round of attack matters

on dazzle: reason people use entrance/enthrall over dazzle is dazzle gives the same emote text as mesmerize/mesmerization "your target has been mezmerized" or w/e, as opposed to "your target has been entranced/enthralled" so you can time things more accurately on gina. great spell but I hardly ever use it because of this

also your blur and lull line are the other half of your enc's cc cabilities, understand and master each spell as well. lastly single target tash is -39mr, aoe tash is -40. you'd be surprised how often that one extra value tips the scales on the rng and resist/land formula.

get gina https://eq.gimasoft.com/gina/
learn gina https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRxlavSVgIc
Old 03-24-2017, 09:33 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
color slant takes too long to cas
Wait, though...Colour Slant has a shorter cast time than Colour Skew. Are you sure you aren't mixing them up?
Closed Thread