Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Aviak

Default eqgame.exe unkillable?

Hi all,

Sometimes when I log in, it'll get stuck at the login screen, for example yesterday after entering my login information, I got stuck on the box saying "Connecting to login server..." (or what have you). Now, normally on any other game, I can ctrl+alt+delete, but my system will not let me "end process" on eqgame.exe. It's treating it like a core system file that can't be killed in the task manager. The only solution I've found is the restart my computer. Now mind you can I just open up another eqgame.exe and play, but it would be nice to be able to kill that unresponsive program if it does happen again. Take note, that usually when eqgame.exe messes up it will 'fix' itself by booting back to the login screen, or crashing itself.

Was just curious if anyone had any suggestions for killing this process if it does happen again? Thanks !
Old 09-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Orc

Are you running in Windowed mode?
Have you tried running the game from WinEQ2?
Have you set affinity or changed the priority of eqgame.exe (by right clicking the process name)?
The game doesn't use up that many resources so changing priority may have very little effect but you could try it and see if it gives an extra little boost to minimize crashes.
I used to do that on counter strike back in the day, when I had a shitty system, to minimize lag. As strange as it may sound it actually helped quite a bit.
One last thing that you might try is to replace your eqgame.exe file with a new one or rewrite the target path in properties.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Large Rat

What's your install path?

I was reading that because of the new user account control or whatever, it's not a good idea to put it in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Everquest"

I moved mine to just c:\Everquest

I wasn't able to even take screenshots until I moved the install to the new location.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Raise your privilege to Admin (Show processes from all users) and it will let you kill it.

No idea why it does this. Probably something to avoid memory scanners (ShowEQ/MacroQuest?).
Old 09-06-2010, 12:52 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsinger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What's your install path?

I was reading that because of the new user account control or whatever, it's not a good idea to put it in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Everquest"

I moved mine to just c:\Everquest

I wasn't able to even take screenshots until I moved the install to the new location.
note: moving EQ installation doesn't do anything (although I can take screenshots now, I still can't kill eqgame.exe)