Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 04-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Aviak

Question Eye of Zomm not showing Players?

Hi all,

I remember back on live using my Eye of Zomm and popping it to entrances of zones to target players and invite them (by going up to a corner/wall and getting lucky). This was useful for mages because we could CoH group/raid members down to certain spots using our Eyes.

First off, is this considered an 'exploit' by the staff here? Will we get in trouble for doing this? I never had any issues with GM's on live with this, however I did not broadcast it to the world, but pretty sure everyone knew this was possible with the Eyes.

Second, when I do get my eye to pop at the entrance, I cannot see any players. I'm able to see players pets, but no PC's. Is this intended on here? A bug perhaps?

Thanks for reading.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Kobold

I think it has something to do with the server not sending updates for players you aren't near. As far as I know most emulator servers work like this. It would also explain why you can't properly track actual players if they're not close by, only NPCs.

I'm pretty sure on live the eye did not always warp to zonein when it fell through a wall, sometimes it would fall through the geometry to other areas of the zone.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loly Taa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think it has something to do with the server not sending updates for players you aren't near. As far as I know most emulator servers work like this. It would also explain why you can't properly track actual players if they're not close by, only NPCs.

I'm pretty sure on live the eye did not always warp to zonein when it fell through a wall, sometimes it would fall through the geometry to other areas of the zone.
Now that I think about it, I do remember using my Eye to check on some dragons in NTOV. Sad to hear though we won't be able to select players for invites ;(.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Planar Protector

The same thing happens with Bind Sight. However, they do appear for the first 15 seconds or so when they zone in, at which point they are targetable.

Not sure if it'll work the same for Eye of Zomm, but I assume the mechanics are the same as Bind Sight, and it'd be long enough to target the player and establish the COTH connection.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 04-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Developer

This is fixable. I will see if I can put something together.

H
Old 04-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

H
Is it fixable for Bind Sight also? The problem is basically as Yendor described it (I've bug reported it before as well).
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 04-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Kobold

I think to fix it he's going to make players update position based on where your eye is located? Either way, thanks Yendor for mentioning that when they zone in they appear for like 15 seconds. That'll at least be a temporary fix for now.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

H
Thanks Haynar!