Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think it would be pretty lame and bland if every item had stats exactly lined up to classes that can use an item. It gives variety and makes it so there's not always one clear best item set for a slot.
I'm not exactly sure how making something 'not so clear' is a good thing. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm pretty sure this doesn't translate well to other areas..

Sorry about the damage officer, the yellow line was not so clear..

Yes I amputated your leg, the real problem with it was not so clear...

I wasn't trying to fire that ballistic missile sir, the controls just were not so clear..

Being clear is rarely a "lame" thing imho. But hey, by all means, if that is your thing, please do continue to carry on with your confused but seemingly cool lifestyle. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Aviak

An oldie thread but a fun one.

The river at the zoneline between Firiona Vie and Lake of Ill Omen runs downhill in both directions.

Druids can improve their faction with some people by turning into a tree. "Oooh, what a lovely tree this is inspecting my wares, I'll definitely offer him a better price than that shifty halfling that was here a moment ago..."
Old 04-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

same goes for buying from sneak - apparently merhcants like more those who check for prices from behind their back, hiding around a conner=)
Old 04-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Kobold

Devs: Let's make a game where the mobs are so disproportionately more powerful than player characters the only viable way most classes can solo things is by continuously running away from them! So realistic!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Planar Protector

I'm glad this thread was bumped...only because I welcome any opportunity to see peatree's avatar.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Planar Protector

on the item design inconsistances (like INT on War gear etc)
You need to keep in mind that original devs were heavy DnD geeks (not that anything wrong with that), but they translated some of DnD concepts into EQ to directly.

In original design INT was resposible for the rate at which you learn your combat skills and your Trade Skills - so even as warrior, INT was good, cuase it made you skill up those combat skills faster, and of course everyone needed INt for crafting.

A bit later (after game has been out for a while), devs realized that due to racial/class combos, some classes just out to fall behind A LOT, specialy compared to those classes, for whom INT was a natural stat, so they changed it that the only STAT influencing crafting was the one which was the highest one - so if you had big STR, then Crafting bonus would come from STR, etc.

This of course automaticaly made all non class specific stats useless and pointless.
Another big mistake was locking caster class essentialy into a single stat progression.
casters don't care for anything but INT (gains from STA are so insignificant, that pure +hp items always better)
priests dn't care for anythign but WIS
AGI is generaly useless to anyone but monks (you get +1% dodge for each 100 AGI - so with whooping 255 AGI you get +2.5%), while from Dodge skill 100 - you get 10% (numbers are not exact but close)
and so on.

Hybrids are pretty much the only clases who have benefit from greatest number of stats

What they should have done instead, is make INT give mana (for all classes), while WIS would boost mana regen rate (drop meditation) or increase spell power (vs resists) - this way to both priests and caster both stats would be valuable.

Anyway, the list of "what should have been done differently" can go on forewer, but of course most everyone here, likes EQ regadless of all that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polixenes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The river at the zoneline between Firiona Vie and Lake of Ill Omen runs downhill in both directions.
Clearly the river is fed by an underground spring on the LOIO side where the fish mobs are.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excision Rottun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Clearly the river is fed by an underground spring on the LOIO side where the fish mobs are.
Yah I kind of thought that pool in loio was a spring as well..
Old 04-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Orc

Orc, Derv, Gnoll, Aviak, Sarnak and Goblin camps, having dozens of corpses lying around and nobody comes looking who caused that, or in the case of Gnome watchmen runs away in fear to be never seen again.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Sarnak

EATING A BAG OF SALT SHOULD MAKE YOU THIRSTY!!!!

but besides that, I always wondered the purpose of all the different languages.
IMO, it would have been cooler if you needed to use those languages to communicate to certain factions.
i.e. not everyone should speak "common tongue" but rather require you to learn the lingo!!

As of now I have no idea what the purpose of different languages were.

also Shadowkights should have been given Batform (Illusion: Bat) or (Illusion : Vampire bat, at higher levels obv)
like wtf?
why didn't they. I do not understand.